Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #41
Chip999

Being new to a Keystone product, I just want to share and get opinion on my old practice and new practice with the fifth wheel... I took the nuts off the battery connect terminals and replaced them with wingnuts. When only putting the Cougar to sleep for a few days between trips, I turn the disconnect switch inside to "off", knowing that there were still things that would operate (slides, landing gear, etc.). When not heading out for more than a week or two, I take the battery completely out and put it in the garage. And for winter, I also remove the battery.

Is there something really bad or wrong with completely removing the battery? Especially for winter, when the fifth wheel is "put to bed", the battery is stored in the garage. 10 years of doing this with the 19 ft. TT and only had to get one new battery.

I wouldn't spend hundreds of $ on a switch when I can simply unscrew the box and remove the battery unless there's something I'm totally missing.
Chip999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Chip,

Removing the battery for storage is not a "bad idea" In fact, it's a good idea, especially if you are going to have the RV in extended storage and don't have any way to keep the battery charged if it is stored in the RV. Maintaining the battery requires that it be kept in a "charged state" to preserve its function. Additionally, a discharged battery is subject to damage from freezing in a cold climate and will often (almost always) require a new battery in the spring. Storing your battery at home where you can maintain it through the storage time is convenient and makes keeping it in top shape easier.

So, it's a GOOD IDEA to remove the battery from the RV if you're going to put it in long term storage especially in an area where you can't maintain the battery charge state easily. Plus, if the RV is not stored where it is readily secure, batteries have a propensity to "walk away" when not being watched. Of course, that also goes for the propane tanks, hitch and most other items that can be easily taken off the RV. Depending on where you're going to store it for the winter, securing your RV may include removing most "loose objects" from the outside.

The purpose of a battery cutoff switch is to make disconnecting the battery easier and more convenient. How much an owner is "willing to pay" for that convenience is a personal decision, but you're right, paying hundreds of dollars does seem to be "over the top" when the components cost much less than that. I suppose it's up to the owner to determine how much value there is in having the convenience of a cutoff switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #43
Chip999

Thanks. I just made the assumption that the practice would be the same, though my old 04 Trail Cruiser didn't have the fancy control panel that this one has. I will be putting the Xlite to bed here in the next few weeks, not to wake up until the spring.

I really didn't mean to offend anyone spending $ on their option, and apologize to anyone who may have taken it that way. Upon second reading, it does come across as judgemental.
Chip999 is offline   Reply With Quote