Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
wborisenok

Before I go cutting a hole in my brand new camper...

...can anyone here clarify something for me? I'm going to be installing a Tadi Brothers backup camera this weekend and I plan to tap into the middle clearance light for power. Will install the camera just below the light. My question is, are these lights ALWAYS on whenever the trailer is plugged into my truck and being towed? I'm brand new to this stuff and learning as fast as I can, but damn there's a lot to learn! I've watched dozens of videos for this install so I feel pretty confident in executing, but this is the one thing I'd love extra confirmation on. I suppose I'm being lazy by asking prior to trying myself, but I've been so busy trying to make sure I learn everything else that I just haven't had the time. Any help is appreciated!
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The clearance lights on your trailer will be powered when it’s plugged into the tow vehicle AND the tow vehicle lights are on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #3
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The clearance lights on your trailer will be powered when it’s plugged into the tow vehicle AND the tow vehicle lights are on.
By "tow vehicle lights are on" do you mean headlights? Or daytime running lights? My truck lights are always set to "auto" so they manage themselves...might have to investigate this more.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If your tow vehicle marker lights are on, the trailer marker lights are on. DRL is just headlights I believe, I don’t have that option on my truck and I don’t use it I’m my car.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #5
tech740

You will have to manually activate the lights when you are towing to get the camera to activate. I have the my camera tied in that way. I just tow with the lights manually activated.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
You will have to manually activate the lights when you are towing to get the camera to activate. I have the my camera tied in that way. I just tow with the lights manually activated.
^^^ this

I run my lights on Auto as well, but when towing I switch over to running lights to activate my camera.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:31 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
By "tow vehicle lights are on" do you mean headlights? Or daytime running lights? My truck lights are always set to "auto" so they manage themselves...might have to investigate this more.
If your tv lights are set to “auto” then the only time the camera will have power is when the tv lights all come on ( not daytime running lights) . If it’s raining and the windshield wipers come on most cars /trucks set to “auto” will bring on all the lights as if it were dark outside. And obviously when it gets dark while set to auto you will have power to the camera.

I leave mine on auto and only switch the parking lights on when I want to view the camera for a min or so.
I’m not very happy with my garmin camera and will be looking for a different plug-in camera and will hardwire it.The garmin rv 785 will accept a wired camera input as well
Old 05-08-2021, 03:43 AM   #8
wborisenok

Thanks everyone! I'm going to back up to my TT and plug in today to test it out. Hoping to install today or tomorrow.