Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Exsailor

Waxing a 35 footer?

I know all about the gelcoat, understand the need to wax and protect but does anyone really hand wax your 5er? I use a liquid wax that you spray on and dry off after washing, particularly on the front but hand waxing? If you do it or pay for it please educate me. Is it necessary to buy the expensive "gelcoat" wax from the RV store? Car wax? A buffer I assume? Opinions please because looking around most campgrounds, I don't think many people hand wax.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Jim W

Hi,
I hand wax the front cover which is more like a fiberglass shell than the gel coat sides and rear wall. I use the NU-Finish for the front cover and then the wash and wax finish from Camping world. Here is the link of the product that I use.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...h-and-wax/2547

I wash and wax the camper twice a year once in the spring and then again when we put it away for the winter. I did this on my first fiver and the paint job and decals seem to hold up will.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble BUT, This is not waving hello, it is ... "Wax on, wax off" I use Gell Gloss RV wax twice a year. (spring and fall) and use a wash & wax for cleaning in between. When black streaks start to get stubborn then it's time to clean the roof.(usually just before waxing.) Oh! and yes, my rotator cuffs are killing me but too cheap to pay somebody not to do it right.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I wax and polish the entire 5th by hand using NuFinish - a product that I have been using on all our vehicles and RV's for many years. I try to wax it twice a year but it seems that lately, my enthusiasm has waned, and now it has become a once-a-year job. Don't have or use a buffer. Are you listening, Santa?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
fred

I thought nu-finish was a polish and not a wax?
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

You are correct. NuFinish is a polish and doesn't contain any wax - or so it says on the advertisement on the back of the plastic bottle. In any case, I apply the polish, let it dry and then wipe off - by hand - with a cloth.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
2011 keystone

Me two twice a year spring then at the end of camping season.
Its not fun but realy helps maintain our TT.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
RdRmr

I use Meguiar's cleaner/wax, a liquid. In a maroon bottle. Have used it for years on all my vehicles. It also removes small scratches and oxidation. The DW and I wax ours by hand at least twice a year, gives you a good workout. The sun here in southern Calif. is a killer. Our previous 5TH wheel we had for thirteen years, when we sold it the exterior looked like new.

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble BUT, This is not waving hello, it is ... "Wax on, wax off" I use Gell Gloss RV wax twice a year. (spring and fall) and use a wash & wax for cleaning in between. When black streaks start to get stubborn then it's time to clean the roof.(usually just before waxing.) Oh! and yes, my rotator cuffs are killing me but too cheap to pay somebody not to do it right.
X2, except I hand wax everything 1x year w/ nu-finish and keep it clean the rest of the time. Keeping the roof clean helps to keep streaking to a minimum. (Unless you are in a nudist park of course)

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
jje1960

Wax

Wow, lot's of energy flying round this thread... This is our third unit and do the same as always. Use power washer a few times a year, including the roof. Spray on roof gook with mop sponge. Spray on turtle wax, wipe off. Always use the turtle wax soap and use the black streak remover that Walmart has. That's the routine, the first two units had compliments when we traded them, present unit always shines. Sorry, just don't do the wax and rub, twice a year, everyone has their own way.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
jq1031

This is a great post as I've just started to think about the waxing situation. Now almost in my 7th X 10 year run of life the thought of waxing a 33ft RV is somewhat less appealing, but using an easy process like nufinish sounds like something I can get excited about. Used that product in the past & it works! The product literature says it's good for 1 year, I personally think that's a bit of a stretch, but for us older guys why not believe it!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
LarryL

I use the nu-finish also It takes a few hours but end result is worth the work. Put 1800 miles on the last trip and when I got back put trailer in storage,
and used what they call a California duster to dust it off shines like I just put the nu-finish on.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
hankaye

jq1031, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
This is a great post as I've just started to think about the waxing situation. Now almost in my 7th X 10 year run of life the thought of waxing a 33ft RV is somewhat less appealing, but using an easy process like nufinish sounds like something I can get excited about. Used that product in the past & it works! The product literature says it's good for 1 year, I personally think that's a bit of a stretch, but for us older guys why not believe it!
Got Grandkids????? If not, borrow your neighbor's ......

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
jq1031

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
jq1031, Howdy;

Got Grandkids????? If not, borrow your neighbor's ......

hankaye
Hell Hank, grandkids are all over the US, neighbors are older than me, so I guess I'll do it myself....slow & easy & after I'm done I'll check with my doctor friend for a little pain relief. His name is DR JACK DANIELS & if he's away his partner DR JOHNNY WALKER BLACK takes his calls!!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
Exsailor

As I expected

but d@&$! I was really hoping everyOne would say waxing is a myth and unnecessary... Oh well I knew better. Actually I wash it 6 or8 times yearly With carnuba wash n wax, (Mississippi bugs) but I guess I'll get out there and wax it also. will probably take you up on the jack Daniels therapy afterward also.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
Alpinecummin

I use AMSOIL Miracle Wash three times a year, spring when it comes out of storage, mid summer, and fall when I put it away for the winter. I have a 40 footer and it takes about six to eight hours for a wash and wax using one and half spray cans. Been using it since the late 1990's without any problems.

1977 Avon
2003 Jayco Designer 32FKS
2011 Alpine 3640RL
2007 Dodge 3500
Alpinecummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #17
cpaulsen

I also use Nu Finish 2 times a tears. Use a little 9" orbiter buffer to apply and also remove the polish. Have been using Nu Finish for years...never a problem and easy to apply and remove.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #18
sptrucksbyed

I use a gelcoat wax that we get for our houseboat and a 10" orbital polisher to put on and take off. Our trailer is 43' long and it takes me the most part of a day to do the complete trailer. But wait this is after i have already washed and dried the trailer.
sptrucksbyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
geo

Orbital polishers

Somewhere, and I can't exactly remember where I say it, but the unknown reference stated not to use an orbital waxer/polisher on the Graphics. If I find the reference, I'll edit this post. Ah, here it is, so it is in the post below.

However, in the meantime, from the Keystone Owner's Manual:
+++++++++++++
Fiberglass / Gel Coat Finish
Care of the Filon™ finish is similar to caring for a new car. Exposure to extreme sunlight, pollutants, and excessive moisture can cause dulling, fading and yellowing. Regular washing and periodic waxing will help maintain the glossy new look. When washing, use a mild, automotive or RV wash solution, available at your dealer, being sure to rinse off any loose debris first. Waxing the Filon™ areas twice a year is recommended. Wax with a non-abrasive automotive wax or polish developed for fiberglass (boats, RV’s) and follow the directions closely.

Metal
The aluminum exterior has a baked on enamel finish. Washing frequently with an automotive or RV wash solution will help avoid staining from debris and soil build up. Always rinse unit with clear water prior to washing to remove any loose dirt. Waxing two to three times a year with a good automotive paste wax will help preserve the finish
DO’S and DON’TS
. DO Use Automotive / Marine grade non-abrasive waxes.
. DO Use Soft cloths to clean and wax
. DO be careful around graphics. Wax and wash with the graphic, not against it.
. DO NOT use products containing ammonia or caustic harsh cleaners as they may cause discoloration to the fiberglass surface.
. DO NOT use high-pressure washers, rotating brushes, such as in car washes, and power buffers. Use of these products can damage graphics and/ or paint finishes.
. DO NOT dry wipe surfaces
. DO NOT use rubbing compounds

+++++++++++++

OK, so it says not to use orbital polishers on METAL graphics, and doesn't mention graphics on the Filon. If it's all the same to me, I think I will hand wax the graphics and leave the orbital for the large, vast, forboding white areas.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #20
chuck&gail

I wax mine by hand. No buffer.

I wash it once a year. I wax at least one side a year, usually two sides per year.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote