Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2021, 09:34 AM   #41
DeniseJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
So I’m heading up 95 thru the Carolinas ..on the way down I was taking it easy for tv break in...what’s the opinion on which lane to use?..if I stay in the right lane when it’s only two lanes I’m relegated to all the pot holes. Do most of you drive in the fast lane and keep up with traffic ? Or stay in the right lane trying to dodge pot holes at a lower speed....which is worse for the tires? Pot holes or high speed? ...it really sucks the conditions of the roads thru different states
Am I understanding that you're watching TV while driving down the road?? If that's the case then you shouldn't be driving while watching TV, phone, anything distracting. Safety for all matters first. Please friend, be safe.
DeniseJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #42
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseJ View Post
Am I understanding that you're watching TV while driving down the road?? If that's the case then you shouldn't be driving while watching TV, phone, anything distracting. Safety for all matters first. Please friend, be safe.
.. .TV = Tow Vehicle... also known as my truck
Old 03-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #43
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I've done both ... sort of. Except, I never go faster than 65. If I piss people off, I really don't care. Really! It's not about THEM ... it's about ME. I've invested over $100,000 in my camper and tow vehicle. I'll be damned if anyone expects me to drive it putting myself or others in danger. THEY are the one speeding in the fast lane. THEY are the ones breaking the law.
Well, technically it IS breaking the law to drive in the passing lane in MI on the interstate.... know people who have been ticketed for it. Left lane is for passing only. If the road is that bad, slow down or exit and find another route. I use the passing lane for passing and then move back over, if the flow of traffic is faster than my cruising speed I'll speed up a tad to mesh in with it, not a ridiculous amount but 5 mph is fine. Comfortable at 70-72 but my set up is not a mammoth either. Speed limits are 75 in many places which makes many drive 82 without fear of a speeding ticket.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #44
DeniseJ

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
.. .TV = Tow Vehicle... also known as my truck

Oh good Lord!!! You had me going there!!!
DeniseJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #45
Brantel

Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #46
KeystoneKal

The TV owners manual may say drive 500 miles without trailer as part of break in process. I’m thinking it’s more about engine speed and moderate braking than maintaining a certain highway speed. Level highway would probably be best. IMO.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #47
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneKal View Post
The TV owners manual may say drive 500 miles without trailer as part of break in process. I’m thinking it’s more about engine speed and moderate braking than maintaining a certain highway speed. Level highway would probably be best. IMO.
Yeah I waited the 500 miles prior to towing anything.... my manual says after that only tow at 50 miles an hour for first 500 actually towing ..that’s why I was taking it easy
Old 03-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #48
ACJCF2

Short answer and I live in SC, I will run the fast lane (lane#2) as long as I don't impede traffic. That seldom happens so I hang in the slow lane (lane #1) and put along between 62-65.
Retired Asst. Fire Chief
Keep Calm, Play Tuba
ACJCF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #49
apachewolf

Wow ....a lot of opinions there on the subject of towing and speed. I have for the past 12 years or so kept my towing speed at 55MPH and stay away from Interstates as much as possible. I am on vacation out to have fun and don't care if I get there 30 min or 1.5 hrs later. Besides it is much easier to control the rig at the lower speed PLUS it is easier on the tires. And we stay in the right lane. But each to his own.

Happy camping
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #50
Sarge2

[QUOTE=Ken / Claudia;437470]I primarily drive Oregon, Idaho and Washington freeways. Worked on Oregon freeways. There are not pot holes on freeways, if so they get filled in hours or someone on a 2 wheeler might be killed. And cars get damaged quickly. There are grooved paths from tire wear and joints. Mostly in the right lane.

You obviously haven't driven in Michigan.... take my word, there are "potholes" on the Freeway.... LOL..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #51
RangerFred

I-95

I live in NC and absolutely hate driving on I95--trailer or not. When I am towing, I will not do over 65 (usually 60) and always in the slow lane.

I drove my Expedition (no TT) from Raleigh to Jacksonville FL and back this past weekend. All I can say is "slow down and think of others you idiots!" I am positive that there were people that passed me at 100mph. No Exaggeration.

Recommendation--like pointed out earlier, relax and take non-interstate routes.
RangerFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #52
travelin texans

[QUOTE=Sarge2;438411]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I primarily drive Oregon, Idaho and Washington freeways. Worked on Oregon freeways. There are not pot holes on freeways, if so they get filled in hours or someone on a 2 wheeler might be killed. And cars get damaged quickly. There are grooved paths from tire wear and joints. Mostly in the right lane.

You obviously haven't driven in Michigan.... take my word, there are "potholes" on the Freeway.... LOL..
Or any other state with interstate highways, they all have potholes.
Most have or had potholes, those that have been repaired are now speed bumps, took a hole & made a hump.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #53
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachewolf View Post
Wow ....a lot of opinions there on the subject of towing and speed. I have for the past 12 years or so kept my towing speed at 55MPH and stay away from Interstates as much as possible. I am on vacation out to have fun and don't care if I get there 30 min or 1.5 hrs later. Besides it is much easier to control the rig at the lower speed PLUS it is easier on the tires. And we stay in the right lane. But each to his own.

Happy camping
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJCF2 View Post
Short answer and I live in SC, I will run the fast lane (lane#2) as long as I don't impede traffic. That seldom happens so I hang in the slow lane (lane #1) and put along between 62-65.
Out here #1 lane is the left most (fast) lane.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #54
rlh1957

In Georgia on the limited access multi lane highways, (like I-95) it’s the law if you are in the fast lane and you are being overtaken from behind you must move to the right... even if you are doing the speed limit or even over it.

It’s not your place or concern to try to slow down or limit other drivers. If you are overtaken from behind you move over to let them pass.
Then when clear you can travel in the left lane again if you prefer or if it’s smoother.

This is a Georgia law but it seems the courteous thing to do.
It is also the law in many European countries... move over for faster traveling traffic.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #55
brodavefla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In many (maybe in most) states, that's exactly what it means:

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right. Contrast Alaska's rule, 13 AAC 002.50, allowing vehicles driving at the speed limit to use the left lane, and Colorado rev. stat. 42-4-1103, prohibiting blocking the "normal and reasonable" movement of traffic.

Here's a link to a list of "all state laws" that might shed some light on the topic: https://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Great link. Thanks John; I've bookmarked it. Being an RV newbie, but someone who's driven many miles over the years, I've followed this thread with interest. As a tv driver pulling a large tt, I've tried to drive like the better truck drivers I've observed or shared an Interstate with. My goal is to stay at/below 65 mph (when the speed limit is 65 or 70), though I occasionally accelerate briefly to finish a pass or get away from a "clog" of vehicles all driving about the same mph. (Can't stand being in those clogs.) I wouldn't say that common courtesy & common sense in drivers are uncommon, but I would say that some folks have it, and some don't. The golden rule applies (or should), as it does most everywhere else.
brodavefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #56
Miloski

Always try to use the lane of continence so you change lanes less and therefore less likely to be in a lane change accident. Two lanes its the law to be in the right lane except to pass, most don't follow this rule, even I at times.
Three or more lanes stay in the second one from right so the right lane can be used for on and off vehicles.
Remember you're on vacation, rushing add stress to the trip.
You're more likely to have a tire failure at 70 then 60MPH.
Most importantly you need to feel safe and comfortable with your rig and speed.
I go back to the Carolina's every year to visit family and their roadways make Washington's seem like gravel roads.
Enjoy your trip.
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:40 AM   #57
notanlines

TJ, from Indiana code:
"Sec. 7 . (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law.  A person who is driving:

(1) on a roadway that has not more than one (1) lane of traffic in each direction;  and

(2) at a slow speed so that three (3) or more other vehicles are blocked and cannot pass on the left around the vehicle;

shall give right-of-way to the other vehicles by pulling off to the right of the right lane at the earliest reasonable opportunity and allowing the blocked vehicles to pass.

Here's another reference to Indiana's 'slow-poke' law:
https://www.lawfirms.com/resources/a...slow-poke-laws

My point is you can't speed on Indiana's roads just because everyone else does.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:12 AM   #58
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFred View Post
I live in NC and absolutely hate driving on I95--trailer or not. When I am towing, I will not do over 65 (usually 60) and always in the slow lane.

I drove my Expedition (no TT) from Raleigh to Jacksonville FL and back this past weekend. All I can say is "slow down and think of others you idiots!" I am positive that there were people that passed me at 100mph. No Exaggeration.

Recommendation--like pointed out earlier, relax and take non-interstate routes.
I have driven that interstate not towing also, yes traffic really rolls along, the same can be said for I5 in SoCal! Once driving north from San Diego to LA my compact rental car was getting a little twitchy. I was just rolling with the flow in the 2nd from left lane. Still being passed on the left, I looked at the speedometer and I was doing 90!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote