Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
Jjpreston

Which bearing set?

My 2017 Cougar 268RSWE has 4400# Lippert axles with 12 inch brakes/hubs (5 bolt brake backing plate pattern). Looking for the correct bearing and seal part numbers, but everything I find refers to the same axle but with 10” hubs, 4 bolt pattern. Anybody have this same setup and have the correct bearing numbers? Don’t want to pull originals out until I get new ones to do it all at once. Thanks
Jjpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:37 AM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjpreston View Post
My 2017 Cougar 268RSWE has 4400# Lippert axles with 12 inch brakes/hubs (5 bolt brake backing plate pattern). Looking for the correct bearing and seal part numbers, but everything I find refers to the same axle but with 10” hubs, 4 bolt pattern. Anybody have this same setup and have the correct bearing numbers? Don’t want to pull originals out until I get new ones to do it all at once. Thanks
If you want to be certain, get the serial number off the tag on your axle and use the following link to chat live with LCI support:

https://support.lci1.com/contact

On the bottom right of the page click the "Chat With an Expert' button. They will provide you exact part numbers for both bearings and seals.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #3
Jjpreston

Thanks. Their chat is now a virtual assistant, not live, so you wind up creating a case number and they say they’ll get back to me. It appears they’ve updated their website recently, as previously I looked on their FAQs for part number on brakes/backplate for same and it showed 10” brakes instead of 12”, so hope this method is more detailed. Thanks for the link, appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
markcee

Quote:
Thanks. Their chat is now a virtual assistant, not live, so you wind up creating a case number and they say they’ll get back to me. It appears they’ve updated their website recently, as previously I looked on their FAQs for part number on brakes/backplate for same and it showed 10” brakes instead of 12”, so hope this method is more detailed. Thanks for the link, appreciate it.
No problem. Maybe they are just not available on the weekend, perhaps give it a go tomorrow.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Lippert's website is a 'virtual reality", but the company also has a "real live person customer support". They keep "business hours" not "24/7 hours"....

Lippert Care Center
Hours of
Operation
Monday - Friday: 8AM - 7PM (ET)
Saturday: 9AM - 5:30PM (ET)
432-LIPPERT (432-547-7378)

Give them a call tomorrow morning, after 8AM ET, and you can talk to a "human that can answer your questions.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
Northofu1

I have the AL-KO axle, the actual bearings I have in them don't match what etrailer / Lippert say they are supposed to be.
Try this post if you're having trouble.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=40578

I have the bearings and seals that Steveo57 has
It's like they just throw crap together, I asked for a complete set of bearings and seals when I bought mine, that's exactly what I got. Only the seals were the right size, everything else was useless to me. Thank goodness they were "free"
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #7
Jjpreston

So, I got a response from Lippert via email from the earlier Virtual Assistant post. They told me, based on the serial number on the axle, that it is a 6,000 pound axle (not 4400# that it shows on the axle label), and gave me a bearing kit part number for the 6,000# axle hub. That sounded odd, so I went ahead and pulled the old bearings out to check the part #'s, and they match up with what goes on a 5,200# axle rather than the 6,000# bearings they advised me to get.

Sooooo, now being Monday I called them. Got a guy who looked up the axle serial number, and he told me it's not a 6,000# axle, it's a 5,200# axle. So who is right? Both reps supposedly looked up the serial number, but came up with different answers. The second guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about, and added that they stamp 4400# on them because Keystone ordered them with 2200# springs, so they de-rate the axles down from 5200# to 4400# because of the springs.

It gets better.... Since then, the original Lippert rep got back to me (I asked her to double check her 6,000# axle conclusion), and she said to spare me a wrong order, she's going to send me, at no charge, 4 new 6,000# axle hubs, complete with bearings and seals already packed in, as "that's how we'd build them today". So, now it looks like I'm going to have a 5,200 pound axle, with 6,000 pound hubs, and 2,200 (x2=4,400) pound springs!

I expect that the only thing in that setup to go wrong hereafter is a busted spring. At least I'll know what to upgrade to when that happens!
Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #8
Northofu1

I've been down that rabbit hole, Alice in wonderland made about as much sense. So I went with what was inside already.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote