Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #21
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi I just wanted to let you know I was told to use Loctite 567 sealant with PTFE or something comparable on the diesel fuel tank and line fittings and no leaks. Do not use teflon tape the frayed pieces can come off and raise hell with you fuel system, pumps injectors etc. Also recommended for gas systems. Just a heads up. Good luck! I used a RDS fuel tank with the gravity feed and It works great.
That's true....here is a link to what I use....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HPVEP0...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #22
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi I just wanted to let you know I was told to use Loctite 567 sealant with PTFE or something comparable on the diesel fuel tank and line fittings and no leaks. Do not use teflon tape the frayed pieces can come off and raise hell with you fuel system, pumps injectors etc. Also recommended for gas systems. Just a heads up. Good luck! I used a RDS fuel tank with the gravity feed and It works great.
Yep, in my past life we had to bird dog pipefitters about tape on lube oil systems.
Also I would put a simple in line filter on the outlet of the tank, and keep a spare.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #23
Drew Waller

I’ve got the 65 gallon shown above. Use drip feed with an inline filter on my 2019 Ram Turbo Cummins H/O. I’ve used the same tank and setup on 3 different trucks since 1999. But going from one manufacture to another you may have a different outside diameter on the hose you splice in. Has worked great. As far as the C/G the weight is kind of in the middle of your axles on my 1 ton duality. I don’t know any difference with the trailer on. But when it comes off it if the tank is empty it will jar your teeth out.

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #24
roadglide

My 2013 I took the filler neck off with 3 screws 1 clamp and drilled a hoe for 3/8 brass 90 fitting and brazed it to the filler tank neck . When I traded it off for the 1 ton the dealer swapped everything over . I never cut a hose . I recently added the water separator filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F87441B-F192-43C1-9EA4-3E2D7EC53BBC.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	31831  
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #25
LewisB

We have a 90 gallon RDS tank - use the gravity feed system and included an in-line filter on the tank to truck fuel line. Carry a spare filter. No problems to date.

Our tank does not include a "pump" and I wanted to have a backup (to the gravity feed) as well as being able to help a friend who might be running low on diesel on one of our camping trips. So I bought one of these: I haven't actually used it other than to check the pump runs when connected to the battery, but I'll have it available if I ever need it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #26
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
We have a 90 gallon RDS tank - use the gravity feed system and included an in-line filter on the tank to truck fuel line. Carry a spare filter. No problems to date.

Our tank does not include a "pump" and I wanted to have a backup (to the gravity feed) as well as being able to help a friend who might be running low on diesel on one of our camping trips. So I bought one of these: I haven't actually used it other than to check the pump runs when connected to the battery, but I'll have it available if I ever need it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Probably a pretty good idea unless you already have a permanently mounted pump system like I do. Thanks for sharing this.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #27
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
d.....
The Ram kit is similar. I have the RDS 51g that started out in an F-250, then the 2019 Ram 3500 SRW now to the 2020 Ram DRW. I use the drip method to fill. How fast depends on what you are driving, and what, if any, you are towing. With the F-250 driving not towing it took the onboard tank about 45 minutes to go from 1/4 tank to full. With the Ram 3500 SRW it kept pace with the fuel consumption while towing the Raptor 356 in the sig line and over a days drive added fuel quantity to the onboard tank. IAW gained ground. No experience with the Ram DRW yet towing and transferring. The check valve in the filler neck stops flow into the onboard when it's full. Actually fuller than you can with at a fuel station. LewisB, I do like that portable transfer pump and may get one so I can "steal" fuel from the truck for the tractor at home.

JRTGH your explanation for weight and balance for planes is a good one and simple enough for our applications. I flew helicopters for a living and we used charts before the days of computer calculations. For tanks shaped like the 2 tiered one, using fuel would shift the CG fore/aft and the charts reflected that. Fortunately our fuel was all centerline mounted, no wing/pod tanks, so lateral CG wasn't affected. KISS when figuring aux fuel for a particular application in RV use.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #28
idcruiserman

I had a Titan 65 gallon replacement fuel tank in my 6.7L Ford. It worked great and no loss of bed space. $200 per fill up was enough 🙄.
idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #29
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by idcruiserman View Post
I had a Titan 65 gallon replacement fuel tank in my 6.7L Ford. It worked great and no loss of bed space. $200 per fill up was enough 🙄.
Yes fuel sticker shock is a fact. My DRW has an onboard tank with 50g and the aux 51G, about 46 usable/practical. If I'm low paying for 85+g dies get your attention. But I can plan my stops where the $$$ is to my benefit, not forced because it's what I have to buy.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #30
FATDAN

You can calculate the weight distribution. It is the proportion of the distance of the center of the tank to the distance of the length between the wheels. For example, if the distance between the tanks is 10 feet and the tank is 3 feet behind the front wheels, then 70% (10-3)/10 is on the front tires and 30% is on the back tires.
FATDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:58 PM   #31
Goliath-goes

I had a 100 gal and as far as weight distribution between axles it wasn’t much but it put me over gross for pulling my Montana 381th. That’s in a 2012 F350 SD 7.7 L diesel
Old 02-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #32
skmct

If you run gravity feed system dot requires a shut off valve in line . The valve must be closed when the vehicle is in operation on the road. If you get stopped and the valve is open you will be finned. I suggest you go the pump route. To be legal. If you are the cause of a fire in an accident you probably will be liable
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #33
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
If you run gravity feed system dot requires a shut off valve in line . The valve must be closed when the vehicle is in operation on the road. If you get stopped and the valve is open you will be finned. I suggest you go the pump route. To be legal. If you are the cause of a fire in an accident you probably will be liable
Source of that statement please?.....the one about the valve being closed when the vehicle is in operation. I doubt that is true.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:07 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
Quote:
Source of that statement please?.....the one about the valve being closed when the vehicle is in operation. I doubt that is true.
It may be true on commercial vehicles, but private vehicles used to tow a private RV ?? I can't imagine that rule applies to RV'ers towing with a "in bed fuel tank". I'd also like to see the "applicability rules" that make it mandatory for private vehicles.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #35
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It may be true on commercial vehicles, but private vehicles used to tow a private RV ?? I can't imagine that rule applies to RV'ers towing with a "in bed fuel tank". I'd also like to see the "applicability rules" that make it mandatory for private vehicles.
John, the more I read about this, the more I think that this is just bad info. There apparently is some verbiage about it being illegal to do..IF....the tank is hooked directly to the carburetor or injectors. Aux tank to main tank is fine.

Old 02-09-2021, 03:15 AM   #36
Javi

Quote:
The only requirement that I know of is a rollover valve. I think the information about the closed valve comes from the same tank company that states in all their ads that gravity feeds are illegal.. and they are if feeding directly to carb or fuel rail but not aux tank to main tank...
Old 02-09-2021, 05:02 AM   #37
notanlines

I had given some thought about bringing attention to his statement also. I believe we are talking commercial as was suggested. And "If you are the cause of a fire in an accident you probably will be liable"I might add if anything happens, lane change without looking for example, if it's your fault then you're liable.
"Hello Geico? It's Jim again...."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:59 AM   #38
JackinDixie

Quote:
And then, there is this one. I just bought this one to replace an old 42 gallon steel tank. This one is 60 gallon and only 16 1/2" tall at the top of the tank, so below the top of the bed rails. And the "L" shaped area is low enough that my crossbed Toolbox will sit right over the top of the horizontal area of the tank. I don't know how you would calculate the weight distribution with this.....but then again, I really don't care with having a Dually.

I have the same AUX tank (from RDS in Perry, FL) and my Weather Guard toolbox fits perfectly. The additional diesel capacity allows for fewer fuel stops and ability to 'shop' for the lowest diesel prices along my route(s). Those $300+ refills (truck plus AUX tank) aren't a lot of fun though...

I also installed a fuel pump with hose and nozzle that is mounted in the right side of the toolbox and pickup tube plumbed into the AUX tank. It's hidden from view, and I can easily refill my tractor, bobcat, and home diesel generator (MEP-803A) as needed. My AUX tank is also plumbed into my main fuel tank and is equipped with a shut-off valve if I need to have off-road diesel fuel in the AUX tank to refuel the farm equipment instead of the truck. (Off-road diesel is approx. .40-.50 a gallon less than regular taxed diesel in my area.) Don't get caught with off-road diesel in the AUX tank and the shut-off valve OPEN and feeding the main fuel tank in your truck! Been told it could be up to a $1K fine or $10 per gallon of off-road diesel in the tank (in FL...) if convicted.

Bottom line, if you don't have an AUX tank installed in the bed of your truck, GET ONE! You'll be glad you did...
Branford, FL
JackinDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #39
rbrdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I like the gravity setup but am a little Leary of drilling a hole in the fill tube. 2018-2020 Rams have the cp4 fuel injection pump and when it fails it sends shrapnel into the entire fuel delivery system.Ram sometimes replaces the entire system(super expensive) or tries to blame the owner saying bad fuel caused the problem. They may try and say metal from drilling or debris from aux tank is getting into the pump to deny warranty.It’s a known problem with cp4 pumps.Ram has since reverted back to the cp3 pump that it had for all the years prior and now for 2021 going forward.
It’s gonna be a pain but I may go with the tank/toolbox combo with a pump under the cover. I have a 50 gallon factory tank so that helps.I will just have to transfer fuel at rest stops.
Does my 2017 Ram 3500 have that pump?
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #40
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrdriver View Post
Does my 2017 Ram 3500 have that pump?
I believe it was only 2019-2020

Tags
fuel, tank, weight distribution