Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #21
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie46 View Post
The picture of the circuit board is not the fuse block. The fuse that kept blowing was in the fuse panel on the side of the sink. The temperature was set at the lowest setting and the heat was turned off. I was using a non-conducting fuse fuller to in stall the fuse. It should have had power. I pulled the furnace unit and cut the wires. I installed a new 15A fuse with no issues. With the thermostat settings as previously describe (low temp and heat off) the feed wires showed 13.65V and the fuse didn't short, suggesting the short is in the furnace. Close examination revealed no rodent damage to the wiring on the furnace. The circuit board was scorched at the Power In pin where it feeds into the Zettler relay. I am assuming the relay is shorted and will confirm with destructive testing. I am further assuming low propane flow may be causing more frequent cycling (another commenter posited that low propane flow causes a lean condition, hotter burning, and more frequent cycles of the limit switch and circuit board relay(s?). Parts on order with one of those dinosaur upgraded circuit boards.
Yes I know that’s a back of a circuit board. I’m an hvac contractor lol. I thought it had a 5 amp spade fuse on the board like most residential furnaces. My mistake
Old 01-30-2021, 05:19 PM   #22
jasin1

Well good luck with it. I just like trying to figure things out. I was way off with my reading comprehension. There would never be a 15 amp use on the board either
Old 02-09-2021, 10:55 AM   #23
jimborokz

I have a 100# tank connected to the RV gas line just like you do and I come in at tank pressure. I have a 6' hose connection. If you are longer than that you probably need to regulate it down to 30psi just like the cross over pipe.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #24
charlie46

Follow-up on the furnace

I ordered a tune up kit and a dinosaur board from PDXRV and watched the race between USPS and the cold front that hit central Montana (lowest we recorded out here was -29F with a -40F windchill. The parts and storm arrived together. Completely disassembled the furnace, cleaned up everything, added some extra wires so the unit can be pulled easier, and fired it up. Nothing. I had the wiring from the thermostat reversed. Quick switch and we are up and running. We were running almost nonstop for ten days with no problems. That is a remarkably simple furnace. We are considering installing one in our cabin as a backup to wood heat.
charlie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:14 PM   #25
ChuckS

Glad you TS and got the parts in to repair the furance.. The SF30 series is a darn good unit and in my opinion heads and tails above the Dometic/Atwood units...

The Dinosaur should last for many years. Also while you had the unit out hope you pulled the ignitor assy and combustion chamber for visual inspect and gap check on the ignitor

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie46 View Post
I ordered a tune up kit and a dinosaur board from PDXRV and watched the race between USPS and the cold front that hit central Montana (lowest we recorded out here was -29F with a -40F windchill. The parts and storm arrived together. Completely disassembled the furnace, cleaned up everything, added some extra wires so the unit can be pulled easier, and fired it up. Nothing. I had the wiring from the thermostat reversed. Quick switch and we are up and running. We were running almost nonstop for ten days with no problems. That is a remarkably simple furnace. We are considering installing one in our cabin as a backup to wood heat.
For heating a 250-300 sq ft rv it's fairly economical, but the same size furnace to heat 500-1000 sq ft would require a very large propane source not to mention a good substantial 12 volt power source the keep the fan powered for extended run times.
Just a couple things to think about if considering it as a residential heat source.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace