Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2021, 01:47 PM   #1
AlaskaJeff

AC going off and on

I'm at a park in Mississippi and connected to shore power, showing 122 volts with an EMS surge protector. Today I noticed for the first time that my AC power turned off and then back on after a few minutes. This has happened twice so far this afternoon. It's not the pedestal I'm sure. I don't have a generator hard wired into the system, so no ATS. Does anyone have any insight/suggestions? Thanks.
AlaskaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

What makes you sure it's not the pedestal? If you have an EMS and power drops out then typically there's a 2 min delay before the EMS restores power. That delay is to protect the compressor on the air conditioner. What brand/model EMS do you have? Some have an indicator for faults.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
AlaskaJeff

Progressive EMS-PT30X. I found my manual and see that it will shut down power to the rig when there is low or high voltage. There was no error code but I think I shut the power down at the pedestal before I read the error code, which would reset the code(s). This helps. It was probably the pedestal, a spike or a drop. I learn something everyday. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You're on the right track. Low/high voltage probably but also remember that the park itself can have power issues. Have you talked to any neighbor to see if their power went out as well. The issues above should affect more than just yourself unless you have a ped/trailer specific issue.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
bobbecky

It could be high or low voltage as well as a frequency problem, higher or lower than 60hz, and just because your EMS shut your power off doesn’t mean anyone else’s power sit off if they didn’t have an EMS on their rigs. Be glad your EMS is doing it’s job even if it seems to be a nuisance. Yes, it also could have been the whole park shut down from problems with the utility, then your neighbors would have noticed that. With the EMS protecting your rig, I wouldn’t panic if the power goes off again, just calmly go and check for the code to see what is going on. The park may not know there is a problem unless their power was off.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
AlaskaJeff

Thanks for all your comments and insight. Apparently there were some issues with the park's electrical system earlier. My neighbors had the same issue. All good now. It's nice to know that these EMS surge protectors really work. I've used one for the past 3 years or so and, from what I know, it has never been tested until now. Thanks again!