Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
barterry46

Where is the water heater in 24RDS Cougar 2020?

We are getting ready to winterize our fifth wheel. Unfortunately we have no idea where the water pump in located? Husband believes it is to the right of the under-sink cabinet...but doesn't want to open that up without being sure the pump is there.

The InCommand will operate the pump. That's all we know. Don't remember being shown the location during our quick run through at dealer. (This is our fifth fifth wheel, so have winterized before.)

Hope someone with a 24RDS 2020 can help. Thanks

Barbara and Richard Terry
24RDS Cougar Fifth Wheel
2016 Dodge Ram half ton
barterry46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would just turn the pump on and follow the noise. That’s what I do with a new unit and I don’t know where the pump is.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #3
GeeDubb

24rds water pump location

Quote:
Originally Posted by barterry46 View Post
We are getting ready to winterize our fifth wheel. Unfortunately we have no idea where the water pump in located? Husband believes it is to the right of the under-sink cabinet...but doesn't want to open that up without being sure the pump is there.

The InCommand will operate the pump. That's all we know. Don't remember being shown the location during our quick run through at dealer. (This is our fifth fifth wheel, so have winterized before.)

Hope someone with a 24RDS 2020 can help. Thanks

Barbara and Richard Terry
24RDS Cougar Fifth Wheel
2016 Dodge Ram half ton
I know this is a semi-old thread but:
OP, did you find the water pump location? I have a '21 24RDS and have to pull the water pump to clean the crud out of it or replace it due to fresh water tank filling when hooked to city water.

Gary
Living PT at the Lake in AZ El. 1730'
PT in the Mountains of SW Colorado El. 9100'
GeeDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Gary, hold on a minute, the fresh tank filled while hooked up to city water and you think you need to pull the water pump since it has stuff in it I am guessing you think it's now blocked.
Explain what the water pump is doing when you turn it on, have you ever used it before. Just trying to see your reasoning to really need to find the water pump and pull it. Did someone tell you what is the problem, did you fix the problem of the city water filling the fresh tank already?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
bobbecky

When you are connected to city water and all valves are in the correct positions, it is usually the check valve in the water pump that is leaking backwards into the fresh water tank. Sometimes you can clear the problem by running the pump, but not always.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
GeeDubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Gary, hold on a minute, the fresh tank filled while hooked up to city water and you think you need to pull the water pump since it has stuff in it I am guessing you think it's now blocked.
Explain what the water pump is doing when you turn it on, have you ever used it before. Just trying to see your reasoning to really need to find the water pump and pull it. Did someone tell you what is the problem, did you fix the problem of the city water filling the fresh tank already?
The water pump works fine. I hadn't used in in several weeks and then three days ago I noticed the fresh water gage was reading 1/3 full then the next day it was 2/3 and yesterday the tank was reading full.

I filled both my gray tanks with fresh water using the pump so I know it was filling with the city water hooked up. I tried cycling the pump on/off repeatedly to see if that would remove the crud (which was suggested in other threads) in the water pump head that was allowing the water to back flow through the pump filling the freshwater tank.

That didn't work. The tank was reading 1/3 full again this morning.

At least I have found the water pump. It is behind the thin panelling in the cargo bay just behind the utility convenience panel. It won't take long to remove the pump and see if there is debris in the pump head.

Gary
Old 05-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #7
GeeDubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
When you are connected to city water and all valves are in the correct positions, it is usually the check valve in the water pump that is leaking backwards into the fresh water tank. Sometimes you can clear the problem by running the pump, but not always.
Thanks, I tried all the easy fixes that I searched for in this and other RV forums. Now to pull the pump...

Gary
Old 05-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Another solution is to add a brass 1/2" check valve in the pump discharge side. If there's trash blocking the pump it's most likely construction debris from the tank when it was installed.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

As Marshall and others have suggested, it's likely to be "construction debris" (trash) that was picked up by the water pump and got stuck in the pump diaphragm. You may be able to disassemble the pump and clean the roller assembly/diaphragm to 'fix the pump" but you may just as likely reinstall it and "suck up more trash" the next time you use the pump....

You would benefit from installing a "inlet strainer" in the tank/pump pickup line. If you have the FloJet pump with the "blue locking levers" the strainer is probably the best $7.79 investment in your plumbing system you could make. There's no "installation modificatons" required. Just clip the strainer on the end of the tank pickup fitting and on the pump inlet fitting and push the blue tabs.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-017403...9974131&sr=8-3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLO JET STRAINER.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	33316  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Filling of fresh tank while hooked to city water is likely a check valve failure. So, you never mentioned you even knew what it is or does. Just trying to point you into looking at the likely reason for the problem. Let us know what and how you fix the fresh tank from filling while hooked up to city water.
Your example is somewhat like saying the car will not start, so I am replacing the battery, but cannot find it. I could tell you where is it, but more information is needed if you want the problem solved.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #11
GeeDubb

Problem Fixed

Thanks to all that responded.

I was the check valve in the pump head. Evidently some large item made its way through the check valve and the edge of the rubber disc was pulled through so it wasn't seating properly. I should have taken a picture of it but I was more concerned with fixing the problem.

Also....in taking the pump out to fix it I discovered that one of the hot wires to the pump had been pinched under the pump and the wire insulation had a gouge in it exposing the bare conductor. It probably would not have been an issue but I taped it up anyway.

Gary
Old 05-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Good job, thanks for posting.
It seems like with every repair there is more factory crap found that should have been done better from the start. It's not that it should be that way at all, but every RV I owned and worked on appears to be built by kids who do not know how to do it right or do not care. And we pull them up and down a highway.

Tags
cougar, heat, heater, water, water heater