Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #21
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Yes they are I think 3/16" Dia. Fiberglass rods that screw together. H F sells a kit and I know Amazon sells a similar kit with a round nylon brush for cleaning B vent on pellet stoves. Had one years ago before I got rid of my pellet stove.
I could imagine using the fiberglass rod kits (used them a lot when I was installing Internet service), but if you have deep right-angle bends you may want to consider a CPAP hose cleaning brush, where the "rod" is actually a flexible spring. Actually, come to think of it, a toilet auger uses the same principle and it's a bit stiffer. If it's long enough for your job, a Drain Weasel is only $6 at HD. You can rubber-band a rag to the end.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't start roto-rutering the ductwork to "get around bends". Most of the flex duct is cheap, thin plastic. In the spirit of the Op's query he's seemed concerned about water in a floor register in the bathroom and dust settling in the ductwork. Both issues are easily remedied with a rag wrapped around a ruler to reach far enough or simply place a towel or small rug owner the bathroom floor register while you step out of the shower.

It's just common sense. You can't use a pressure washer or a drain auger in a very thin aluminum duct.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #23
LHaven

I was recommending commonly-available tools for flexible reach, not for actual augering action.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #24
rvwonderful

Quote:
I wouldn't start roto-rutering the ductwork to "get around bends". Most of the flex duct is cheap, thin plastic. In the spirit of the Op's query he's seemed concerned about water in a floor register in the bathroom and dust settling in the ductwork. Both issues are easily remedied with a rag wrapped around a ruler to reach far enough or simply place a towel or small rug owner the bathroom floor register while you step out of the shower.

It's just common sense. You can't use a pressure washer or a drain auger in a very thin aluminum duct.
Placing a towel over floor register helps. But floor registers are always in the way when cleaning floor. In case of waste water tank overflow, big trouble, all ducts have to be replaced to remove bad smells . Looked at Grand design floorplans, they have managed to not put registers on floor. Thanks.
rvwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwonderful View Post
Placing a towel over floor register helps. But floor registers are always in the way when cleaning floor. In case of waste water tank overflow, big trouble, all ducts have to be replaced to remove bad smells . Looked at Grand design floorplans, they have managed to not put registers on floor. Thanks.
The red statement "may be true for Grand Design RV's" but it's not true for Keystone RV's. I don't see any change in the way Keystone installs the heating system anytime in the foreseeable future. If you think the design is problematic, then you're going to have to make a decision whether to "trust the design" or "avoid the design"... There is no other choice when purchasing a Keystone RV. Take what they build or shop the competition....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #26
Nankipoo

Speaking of dog hair. Y'all got me wondering where my heat return air filter is now. Going to look for it 😎 never looked for it in this 5'er.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #27
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankipoo View Post
Speaking of dog hair. Y'all got me wondering where my heat return air filter is now. Going to look for it 😎 never looked for it in this 5'er.
Never had a rig with a furnace intake filter. I assumed it was a code issue ("overheat and burn when dirty" isn't a good look). On this one, we're expected just to vacuum the chamber out annually.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #28
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Never had a rig with a furnace intake filter. I assumed it was a code issue ("overheat and burn when dirty" isn't a good look). On this one, we're expected just to vacuum the chamber out annually.
Can't find this one. The 05 Cardinal we traded had one under the refrigerator. Being a heating and air man, I would think they were necessary.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:08 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankipoo View Post
Can't find this one. The 05 Cardinal we traded had one under the refrigerator. Being a heating and air man, I would think they were necessary.
Your experience as a "heating and air man" would most likely be with air handlers where the heat exchanger and air conditioner condenser coil share the same air flow and ducting. In an RV the gas fired furnace and the air conditioner are two separate units.

The LP furnace does not use a filter. It was not designed to use a filter and adding one can render it inoperable as it will restrict the airflow to the point of tripping the high limit.

The air conditioner does have a filter. Much like a window or portable air conditioner it has a foam reusable filter. The filter will require washing depending on conditions, i.e. some campgrounds that have gravel roads, or are close to farms etc., and how often you open the door.

Air conditioners require a filter to keep the dust from accumulating on the wet coils that have narrow passages for air flow. The LP furnace has a heat exchanger with large air flow passages. What doesn't get "burned off" by the heat exchanger just flow thru. Every season the first use of the furnace in the rig will result in a "burnt odor" until the accumulated settled dust in the furnace burns off.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:47 AM   #30
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Grand Design Solitude line has wall or under cabinet registers. My biggest issue with floor registers, is getting a vent cover strong enough that it doesn;t bend when stepped on.
Quote:
Most OEM floor registers are minimal at best. I just replaced mine with some Home Depot off the shelf units. Mine are standard size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Our manufactured-home guest house had that problem. Aside from normal wear, one of the heat registers was located right where a dining chair leg usually got placed while in use. I had excellent results with these steel registers. Within the first year of owning my rig, after I had pretty thoroughly crushed the register at the bathroom door threshold and the one in the walkway in front of the TV, I ordered more of the same and have been extremely happy with them. Bonus, I discovered the "spongy feel" in the bathroom had been entirely due to the register, not the floor.
Well I have bought the some registers with very heavy metal tops and due to their locations we are always stepping on two of them and it isn't long before they are bent. Really would like to find ones that would not need replacing every two months at $20 ea. or more.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:01 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Well I have bought the some registers with very heavy metal tops and due to their locations we are always stepping on two of them and it isn't long before they are bent. Really would like to find ones that would not need replacing every two months at $20 ea. or more.
These won't bend but they are thick so if you "shuffle" your feet while walking they would be an issue. https://www.reggioregister.com/metal...caAkjbEALw_wcB
The Hampton Bay and other brands are a little stronger if you get them with the damper built in as they have the perimeter boxed in to hold the damper.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #32
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
These won't bend but they are thick so if you "shuffle" your feet while walking they would be an issue. https://www.reggioregister.com/metal...caAkjbEALw_wcB
The Hampton Bay and other brands are a little stronger if you get them with the damper built in as they have the perimeter boxed in to hold the damper.
Those would likely hold up to the traffic, they are a bit spendy at $60 with control louver.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:16 AM   #33
LHaven

Quote:
I'm 6'6" 330, and I haven't had any such problems with the ones I recommended. At $10, it's worth a flyer to try one of them and see how it holds up.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #34
rvwonderful

Worry about waste water tank overflow in bathroom, is it a good idea to completely seal the duct register(vent) on the floor in the bathroom using some duck tape?
Old 10-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #35
Javi

Quote:
Worry about waste water tank overflow in bathroom, is it a good idea to completely seal the duct register(vent) on the floor in the bathroom using some duck tape?
I've been RV'ing since the early 80's and never had a black or grey tank overflow and out onto the floor.. I'd have to get that guys autograph on the pictures..
Old 10-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
You can't prevent every possible scenario. You can "what-if" yourself to the point on not enjoying yourself. Just realize that for every borrow story of a tank overflowing there are thousands,nif not tens of thousands that have never had an issue. Black water tank overflows are typically caused by operator error. Someone connects a tank rinser and doesn't open the drain valve.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
You can't prevent every possible scenario. You can "what-if" yourself to the point on not enjoying yourself. Just realize that for every borrow story of a tank overflowing there are thousands,nif not tens of thousands that have never had an issue. Black water tank overflows are typically caused by operator error. Someone connects a tank rinser and doesn't open the drain valve.

In our case the groundskeeper hit the valve on the y at the faucet with a weedeater and turned the black tank flush on He didn't know what he was doing and we didn't know it happened. Thought we would take a nap and after I was there about 5 minutes told DW I thought I smelled something like propane....or something. Waited a couple of minutes trying to figure it out and it got worse so hopped up and headed downstairs to check the appliances. Got to the kitchen and she began hollering that water was coming out of the toilet. I ran outside, turned off the water and found the Y valve on...and was thoroughly POd because I had watched him weedeat out there thinking (it's about time). Thankfully we had just dumped and rinsed the tank that morning so it wasn't very dirty, but a real pain none the less. I now keep a 2nd off valve connected in the convenience center to prevent a recurrence of that.

Sorry Javi, I didn't take pictures as I was pretty busy cleaning up and assessing what might have happened.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #38
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
In our case the groundskeeper hit the valve on the y at the faucet with a weedeater and turned the black tank flush on He didn't know what he was doing and we didn't know it happened. Thought we would take a nap and after I was there about 5 minutes told DW I thought I smelled something like propane....or something. Waited a couple of minutes trying to figure it out and it got worse so hopped up and headed downstairs to check the appliances. Got to the kitchen and she began hollering that water was coming out of the toilet. I ran outside, turned off the water and found the Y valve on...and was thoroughly POd because I had watched him weedeat out there thinking (it's about time). Thankfully we had just dumped and rinsed the tank that morning so it wasn't very dirty, but a real pain none the less. I now keep a 2nd off valve connected in the convenience center to prevent a recurrence of that.

Sorry Javi, I didn't take pictures as I was pretty busy cleaning up and assessing what might have happened.
Yep, but your case is a one in a million thing that you can't live your life worrying about. And like many things, easily preventable with forethought not involving ductape.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #39
rvwonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yep, but your case is a one in a million thing that you can't live your life worrying about. And like many things, easily preventable with forethought not involving ductape.
Can a full black water tank overflow when towing on bumpy road? or there is a valve that can be completely shut off?
Old 10-11-2020, 04:54 PM   #40
notanlines

Quote:
No, you’re imagining things that rarely happen.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat, vent, water