Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #1
BeagleMan

DW has a question

With my current truck, a 2008 SR5, she wants to know if I can tow a 5er now? Like a Super Lite Laredo. Specifically, a Laredo 294SBR. I'm not sure because I do not know what changes or how it changes when you put the hitch in the bed. Does that help? Hurt? Better? Not good?

She gets on these FB Groups and asks me all kinds of questions these people put up. Bunch of them, I am sure, are somewhat knowledgeable, but I trust you guys more.

Answer for her then educate me on how the Hitch weight changes when it goes to a 5er. Thanks!
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The Tundra is no match for any fifth wheel made that I know of. The Laredo has a gvw of 10,350lbs. At a 20% pin = 2070lbs. pin weight alone. The very best I can find for a 2008 Tundra, 5.7 V8 (if you have the 5.7?) is a 1690 payload. That means the pin alone from the Laredo dwarfs the max payload of the truck. I would suspect it would also exceed gvwr and probably gawr rear. IMO it's a no go.

You also have to remember you long range plans and "have it now" and get what you can vs wait a bit and get what you want for the long term. Buying and selling TVs and RVs is a losing game....big time. You will throw money away on every transaction.

https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...e-fifth-wheel/

As far as bumper pull vs 5th wheel weights on a TV; figure approx. 12-13% gvw for a bumper pull tongue weight and approx. 20% gvw for pin weight - either one comes directly off the payload of the potential TV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
Northofu1

Hey Andrew,
Not even close. Gvwr on that unit is 10350 #

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The Tundra is no match for any fifth wheel made that I know of. The Laredo has a gvw of 10,350lbs. At a 20% pin = 2070lbs. pin weight alone. The very best I can find for a 2008 Tundra, 5.7 V8 (if you have the 5.7?) is a 1690 payload. That means the pin alone from the Laredo dwarfs the max payload of the truck. I would suspect it would also exceed gvwr and probably gawr rear. IMO it's a no go.

You also have to remember you long range plans and "have it now" and get what you can vs wait a bit and get what you want for the long term. Buying and selling TVs and RVs is a losing game....big time. You will throw money away on every transaction.

https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...e-fifth-wheel/

As far as bumper pull vs 5th wheel weights on a TV; figure approx. 12-13% gvw for a bumper pull tongue weight and approx. 20% gvw for pin weight - either one comes directly off the payload of the potential TV.
Ok, exactly what my numbers said but needed confirmation. Thanks bud!

You are absolutely right about our long range plans vs. Have it now, deal. We have discussed this. But, she said you are very correct but you are raining on her parade.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Ok, exactly what my numbers said but needed confirmation. Thanks bud!

You are absolutely right about our long range plans vs. Have it now, deal. We have discussed this. But, she said you are very correct but you are raining on her parade.
Never look at it as "raining on a parade". 99% of the members here will give you the straight scoop. Going forward with an "ill advised" plan and ending up on the side of the road with a blown transmission, broken axle, blown differential, or worse ending up in an accident is far worse. That will turn your "dream RV" into a nightmare very quickly.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Never look at it as "raining on a parade". 99% of the members here will give you the straight scoop. Going forward with an "ill advised" plan and ending up on the side of the road with a blown transmission, broken axle, blown differential, or worse ending up in an accident is far worse. That will turn your "dream RV" into a nightmare very quickly.

Oh, I know and you are so correct. I read your responses to her and she does understand. She gets excited when she sees something new. I just do my best in keeping her eyes on the prize. lso, I explained to her if something like those examples happened, and the trooper designates that we would be overweight, then the DOT gets involved and we would royally screwed.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Oh, I know and you are so correct. I read your responses to her and she does understand. She gets excited when she sees something new. I just do my best in keeping her eyes on the prize. lso, I explained to her if something like those examples happened, and the trooper designates that we would be overweight, then the DOT gets involved and we would royally screwed.
The biggest liability would be God forbid an accident involving personal injury or death. Then you're placing EVERTHING on the line that you have now and possibly in the future.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
BeagleMan

WORD.

Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
With my current truck, a 2008 SR5, she wants to know if I can tow a 5er now? Like a Super Lite Laredo. Specifically, a Laredo 294SBR. I'm not sure because I do not know what changes or how it changes when you put the hitch in the bed. Does that help? Hurt? Better? Not good?

She gets on these FB Groups and asks me all kinds of questions these people put up. Bunch of them, I am sure, are somewhat knowledgeable, but I trust you guys more.

Answer for her then educate me on how the Hitch weight changes when it goes to a 5er. Thanks!

It appears you left the forum on your computer screen and the little lady caught sight of your plan to build the biggest baddest tow vehicle BUSTED!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #10
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
It appears you left the forum on your computer screen and the little lady caught sight of your plan to build the biggest baddest tow vehicle BUSTED!

Nah, she is all in on the 450. She loves big bad *** things. Glad I am 6'5" 275.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Hope you already took to heart the advice on a Tundra's ability to drag a 5ver down the road of any sort. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #12
BeagleMan

Quote:
Hope you already took to heart the advice on a Tundra's ability to drag a 5ver down the road of any sort. Good luck!
Oh yes! Completely understand.

We are buying my ex's house for $166k,( just what she owes) valued at anywhere from 199k to 254K. We will live in it a few years, 2-4 in my view, spruce it up and sell it for its worth. Meantime, I will be working somewhere and buying my new truck in a few months. First, I got to read up on the new designs and stuff that Ford says are coming for 2021, particularly the 350 and 450. Mostly interior so far. Then, we sell the house, take our profits, sell everything not nailed down, and get the Montana 3781RL and get on with our true path in life. On Sourdough's advice.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

If you want a "right now with this truck" fifth wheel, there are some older fifth wheels from Dutchman, Forrester, Prowler that are around 25' long with GVW's in the 5,000-7,000 range. None of them have a "true bedroom" but rather a "cab-over space with a mattress" similar to a truck cab-over camper.

New models that would be a good match are the Scamp or Escape. They are "fiberglass bubble trailers" in the 20-21' range with GVW's from 3500-5500 pounds. At 5000 pounds, expect a pin weight of around 1000+150 for a fifth wheel hitch, bringing the payload addition to around 1150, probably the maximum with an empty bed and the two of you in the cab (275+140). That would leave around 85 pounds for coats, maps, a small cooler in the cab....

Sounds "extremely dire" but the image of a Tundra with a small fiberglass "ultralight bubble" hitched to it, puts that Tundra "at/over GVW"... Imagine it with a 33' conventional fifth wheel ???? Wow, just WOW !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Up north in Allen Okie-homa there is a small camper manufacturer called Idle-Time which has a pretty good rep. They make teeny tiny 5th wheels and will manufacture one to YOUR specs and layout if you work with them. They have a new 21' 5th wheel on their lot right now. https://idletimerv.com/inventory/new/?limit=50
Old 10-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #15
Ribtip

If your gonna bust now get into a used class c motor home and pull a car around. You can get fairly cheap have your space and sell in a couple years and not do to bad .
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:59 PM   #16
BeagleMan

Well, we do like looking at different floorplans and stuff. Something sometimes always gets our goat and we get a leetle ahead of ourselves. DW has this funny thing going where when a new "client" shows up at the site, she looks at the camper and if its a Solitude, Cedar Creek, or a Keystone model, she is buzzing that Google app looking at the floorplans.

We are happy keeping our eyes on the prize. F-450/Montana 3781RL. We will have to see what kind of profit we will make off the sale to see if we do a custom job on the Montana. She is totally in love with the Sterling color scheme. She just won't like the dreaded months waiting for it.

Thanks guys! Love this place and ya'll have been so helpful to me. Thanks for putting up with me.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #17
Ribtip

Good luck and good times on what ever you do. Happy camping
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #18
Gegrad

Quote:
Well, we do like looking at different floorplans and stuff. Something sometimes always gets our goat and we get a leetle ahead of ourselves. DW has this funny thing going where when a new "client" shows up at the site, she looks at the camper and if its a Solitude, Cedar Creek, or a Keystone model, she is buzzing that Google app looking at the floorplans.
I wish I was this lucky. I enjoy looking at floorplans too, but my DW hates it, because she hates looking at anything until we will actually make a purchase. She gets excited for one but if we aren't ready to get the next day she just gets sad and accuses me of teasing her.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:58 PM   #19
rbrdriver

Use that SR5 as a trade in on a good 1 ton and then you're ready for your fiver............
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:12 AM   #20
CrazyCain

Quote:
Up north in Allen Okie-homa there is a small camper manufacturer called Idle-Time which has a pretty good rep. They make teeny tiny 5th wheels and will manufacture one to YOUR specs and layout if you work with them. They have a new 21' 5th wheel on their lot right now. https://idletimerv.com/inventory/new/?limit=50
I checked them out, very intersting

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote