Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2020, 07:23 AM   #1
Starzz

Avalanche Floor Creaking

Hey

just purchased a 2021 Avalanche 338 noticed the floor along the length of the main living space (alongside the island) is creaking loudly as you walk from one end to the other. Any one else had this issue, im open to a little bit if flex and noise but this is loud and annoying.

thanks
Starzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #2
purebred

We have a 2020 Alpine. Your Avalanche is probably like ours with sandwich type flooring. All I can say is get used to it. Ours has been like this from day one. Gets worse in colder weather.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
Starzz

Thanks Purebread did you ever report this to Keystone or try to get repaired under warranty?
Old 10-05-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
purebred

We looked at many an rv and it seems like its a problem with all. Just the nature of the floors installed it seems. We noticed it more in colder weather though.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Javi

It's a box on wheels... it's going to creak.. moan and bounce... and the awning is going to flap in the slightest breeze...

Oh.. and the ice maker is going to scare the dog at 2am when it dumps
Old 10-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Starzz

This is my third camper so i'm familiar with the joys of being on wheels and on the road but non of my previous campers (2018 Forest River Vibe and 2011 Keystone Sprinter) had this issue, its like loud cracking... and from a brand new fifth wheel not something i was expecting so wanted to see if this was the new "norm" or if its likely a fault from the factory.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starzz View Post
This is my third camper so i'm familiar with the joys of being on wheels and on the road but non of my previous campers (2018 Forest River Vibe and 2011 Keystone Sprinter) had this issue, its like loud cracking... and from a brand new fifth wheel not something i was expecting so wanted to see if this was the new "norm" or if its likely a fault from the factory.
Well, I have a 2020 Avalanche 313 RS and there are spots in the floor that make a sound when my 300 pounds step on them but none are more than I've experienced in any of my other trailers.. I do know that this floor is made different than any of my cheaper trailers Passport and Cougars in the past 10 years..
Old 10-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Well, I have a 2020 Avalanche 313 RS and there are spots in the floor that make a sound when my 300 pounds step on them but none are more than I've experienced in any of my other trailers.. I do know that this floor is made different than any of my cheaper trailers Passport and Cougars in the past 10 years..
Yes Sir I don't think the Avalanches are the only ones with this problem. Seems like the more miles put on our Alpine the creaking and popping is slowly getting worse. And I'm only up to 205 lbs at present. If you have luck with Keystone addressing this problem I would love to hear it. Even though our trailer is out of warranty.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #9
Javi

Just a thought... there is an aluminum duct which runs the length of the living area as ducting for the heater.. on mine it is in the area where I hear the crackling when I walk... It's about a 12" - 18" wide and less than an inch deep..

If you pull the wall in the basement you can see it run from under the heated..
Old 10-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
purebred

Quote:
Just a thought... there is an aluminum duct which runs the length of the living area as ducting for the heater.. on mine it is in the area where I hear the crackling when I walk... It's about a 12" - 18" wide and less than an inch deep..

Ours is the same and over this area it does produce quite a bit of creaking but ours also creaks by the theatre chairs, and in front of the couch and even sometimes in the bedroom where there is carpet. We have just got used to the sound. Of course we don't have a dog to jump when we walk so no biggie. That's one thing old age does to you also, after a while the creaks and groans just sound natural and you don't give it a thought.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
Starzz

Quote:

That’s exactly where mine is cracking but the cracking sounds like the it’s from the island as the floor flexes along that same path. Hummmmmmm
Old 10-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #12
Javi

I would guess that the sound is from the duct flexing and the Island is resonating the vibration.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:58 PM   #13
rbrdriver

Our Alpine has floor creaking in front of the kitchen sink, but haven't noticed it anywhere else.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
Starzz

So we think it’s the island base or a screw rubbing as the floor flexes as when my husband applied pressure to the island it stopped yay!!! so he is going to try stabilize that.

Tags
floor