Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Nankipoo

Installing LP Gas Quick Connect

I have a Blackstone Tailgater combo that I've been running off an extra 20 pound LP tank that I've been hauling with us. I'm wanting to add a quick connect to the camper to use the two tanks on it. There is a black pipe running over near the hot water hookup then changes to copper on to the hot water tank. Would there be a problem with me adding a tee right there to install a quick connect. It's only about 5 feet from where I normally use the grill. Going to try and add a pic of it. Never done it so we will see if it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_182430.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	30111  
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
Camping family

Don’t know about that but once u figure it out. Contact Blackstone n they have a quick connect hose for there griddles. I got my one for mine. I changed to a griddle replaced the original grill
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:03 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If you take off the fitting on the black pipe, you can install a “manifold”. The manifold should have threaded ports for you to add a quick connect and a NPT to flare to attach the W/H copper line.

Make sure to use proper thread sealant, and test for leaks. The supply to your grill will be “regulated” so you may have to change the connection on your grill.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you take off the fitting on the black pipe, you can install a “manifold”. The manifold should have threaded ports for you to add a quick connect and a NPT to flare to attach the W/H copper line.

Make sure to use proper thread sealant, and test for leaks. The supply to your grill will be “regulated” so you may have to change the connection on your grill.
Would it need a manifold.? I can get the fittings just to add a tee. I do heating and air so yes I would use the proper sealant and check for leaks.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quick connect fittings used on compressed air systems are not rated for LPG use. They can leak, creating a dangerous, explosive situation. All the LPG quick disconnect fittings (manifolds) that I've seen have a shutoff valve on the actual QD fitting that will only open to allow gas to flow after the hose is attached to the fitting. I believe that is the only type "approved" for use on RV LPG systems. Using any other type of fitting "might work flawlessly" but could also create a potential fire which would be extremely difficult to fight in a "boondock situation" or when "dry camping" far from the nearest fire department.....

You can install a "T" in the line, reattach the copper water heater line to the end of that "T" and then branch off of the "T" to configure the quick disconnect in the location you want the fitting. Be sure to use "black iron" not "galvanized" pipe, LPG approved QD fittings, and as mentioned, the proper pipe dope or teflon tape (yellow)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
Lee

Hi,

I have completed a similar project for a Mr Buddy heater. Attached is a photo. I "T"'ed into the supply line to the furnace, added an on/off valve and a 6ft flexible hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0421170858.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	30115  

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Quick connect fittings used on compressed air systems are not rated for LPG use. They can leak, creating a dangerous, explosive situation. All the LPG quick disconnect fittings (manifolds) that I've seen have a shutoff valve on the actual QD fitting that will only open to allow gas to flow after the hose is attached to the fitting. I believe that is the only type "approved" for use on RV LPG systems. Using any other type of fitting "might work flawlessly" but could also create a potential fire which would be extremely difficult to fight in a "boondock situation" or when "dry camping" far from the nearest fire department.....

You can install a "T" in the line, reattach the copper water heater line to the end of that "T" and then branch off of the "T" to configure the quick disconnect in the location you want the fitting. Be sure to use "black iron" not "galvanized" pipe, LPG approved QD fittings, and as mentioned, the proper pipe dope or teflon tape (yellow)...
I'm going to do a search for the type fitting you are talking about. I want it to be an LP disconnect and not one for air. That would have to be the one that's on new RV with one ing installed from factory.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

LP quick connects are readily available at any RV parts counter and probably on Amazon.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a link to one of many that are available: https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Propa...s%2C176&sr=8-3

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #10
Lee

Here's the one I used in my picture:

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-12-...1823600&sr=8-1

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #11
Nankipoo

Been sitting in a hospital parking lot since 9 this morning waiting on a grand baby. Wish I had pulled the RV it's cold setting in this truck. Can't go in because of their Covid policy. Did run by a local Gander Mountain. They had the fitting in the link but it was 39 bucks and the hose was 54. Will be using Amazon prime when we get home.

Tags
gas