Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
Hugo-H

TT weights

serious questions about the (different) weights of a TT (mine is a Premier Bullet Lite 31 ft, 31BHPR model)
On the shipping docs and on the Keystone company certificate, I see a "shipping weight" of 6520 lbs (=2928 kg)
...and when it got registrered here in Europe, the mentioned "own weight" of 3090 kg (= 6812 lbs)
Anybody knows why there is a difference?...and how these weights are measured?
Does a shipping (or dry) weight includes things like propane bottles, spare wheel...?
I ask these questions to get a better understanding of it, since on October 1st, I have to pass the vehicle inspection (here in Belgium) to get a "validation inspection"...where I need to explain any differences in weights...
Hugo-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo-H View Post
serious questions about the (different) weights of a TT (mine is a Premier Bullet Lite 31 ft, 31BHPR model)
On the shipping docs and on the Keystone company certificate, I see a "shipping weight" of 6520 lbs (=2928 kg)
...and when it got registrered here in Europe, the mentioned "own weight" of 3090 kg (= 6812 lbs)
Anybody knows why there is a difference?...and how these weights are measured?
Does a shipping (or dry) weight includes things like propane bottles, spare wheel...?
I ask these questions to get a better understanding of it, since on October 1st, I have to pass the vehicle inspection (here in Belgium) to get a "validation inspection"...where I need to explain any differences in weights...
The way it works here is the brochure weights are often inaccurate because they were always projected weights. When the manufacturer certified the vehicle for shipment they had to use actual weights. Often times it will be more than the brochure because of something they added or the customer requested. It could even be something they added to insure structural integrity for shipping. However, the GVWR would be the figure used here in the USA for registration. That value is displayed on the vehicle certification label found on the left forward external section of the trailer.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I do not know how the unit was prepped for shipping but here the batteries, propane, spare (optional) etc. are generally not part of the weight spec. As was mentioned the weight on the front (driver side) of the trailer will give the numbers for that trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Hugo-H

here in Belgium, 2 weights are registrered... the GVWR and the netto weight...and the weighings are carried out on the day of the validation inspection...

GVWR minus the net weight = the loading weight...
But on the sticker , I saw something that doesn't make sense to me, concerning the load... it says "cargo carrying capacity is measured with fresh water tank(s) full...cold 140 kg, hot 23 kg"
What does this mean?...(the text in bold)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 19.58.20.png
Views:	61
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	29935  
Old 09-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Those weights are the weight of the water in the fresh water tank if it’s full and the water heater tank if it’s full.

“Fresh” water is before you use it, “waste” water is what’s sent down the drain/toilet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Hugo-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Those weights are the weight of the water in the fresh water tank if it’s full and the water heater tank if it’s full.

“Fresh” water is before you use it, “waste” water is what’s sent down the drain/toilet.

..so does the total of carrying capacity includes (the weight of) a full fresh water tank?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo-H View Post
..so does the total of carrying capacity includes (the weight of) a full fresh water tank?
So many consumers have misunderstood water weights its caused trailer manufacturers to add and subtract some of it for you. Here in the USA if you have any portable water, fresh, black or gray onboard its weight is CARGO.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:42 PM   #8
Hugo-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
So many consumers have misunderstood water weights its caused trailer manufacturers to add and subtract some of it for you. Here in the USA if you have any portable water, fresh, black or gray onboard its weight is CARGO.

Thanx, now it's clear to me!