Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
L0veless

suburban water heater question

cougar high country 5th wheel
suburban SW6 DE water heater. on his interior panel there is a rocker switch, on the top its says DSI bottom of switch is illegible that is the only switch for the water heater. he says he can only run his heater on propane? (of course I disagreed with him, me having a Montana and a switch for both propane and electric). l looked at his panel and yep I'm confused. when he rocks the switch to DSI it lights up we think turning on the heater.. when he rocks the switch to the other side no light we think nothing is happening.
I'm guessing rocker switch in the down position does turn the electric heater on just no light, yes we did turn the switch on on the heater itself.
if this is correct, then with this set up how does he run both electric and gas together for quicker regeneration?

thank you
Old 08-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

The rocker switch inside should be turned on and if the propane tank is on, there will be a RED light atop the switch and when it goes out, the propane for the tank is lit. To turn on your ELECTRIC function, first open your converter and make sure the breaker marked for WATER HEATER is turned on. Then open the cover outside and to the bottom left under a pipe is a SMALL black rocker switch that you can turn on to actuate the electric heating element. Keystone was too cheap to put in the Suburban model with the inside switch (probably cost $2 more). In any case, MANY of the outside rocker switches were left on and the switch burned up as did the heating element so don't be surprised if you end up having to replace these; it isn't a big deal.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Javi

As a note... the 2020 Suburban in my Avalanche has an inside switch for the electric element... still has the switch on the tank as well...

I know this because during PDI, I turned it off outside..

Anyway... back to his problem.. the switch on the Suburban...

DOWN is ON

UP is OFF...
Old 08-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
Wyldfire

The switch outside is a safety feature. Before you take the anode out you flip the switch then remove the anode and stand up it in front of switch. It is to easy for somebody to walk in trailer flip switch and burn out the element when it is inside and water heater is empty.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater