Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
Benbill

Problem with Factory Installed Coaxial Network

I have been working on a WeBoost connect 65 cellular booster installation in my 2020 3931 FB and I have come up against a stumbling block that concerns me and I am hoping for some advice.

My thought with the installation was to try and utilize the pre-installed coaxial network for the cable and satellite TV, so that I did not have to try and fish the cable from the directional antenna through my slides each time I set up. I wanted to use the cable port inside my basement area where the water and sewer controls are located for the simplicity of feeding the coaxial cable up through the bottom port into that area, so that I could keep my basement locked.

After the installation I plugged in the WeBooster and I had four blue bars which is supposed to indicate the system is connected. The fifth wheel is in covered storage, so I have not been able to give it a true test, but I was not seeing any improved signal. This was a bit alarming, so I tried to use my home network cable tester to test the conductivity of the coaxial cable network. Using the tester I get no signal from the power source to the secondary test unit in any location, however if I simply connect the testers to a known good coaxial cable I get proper conductivity.

In a week or so I will have time to connect up the camper to my truck and give the system a proper test, but what do you guys and gals out there interpret my situation to be? Do you think the coaxial network is working and the splitters are causing a problem with the tester signal? In the end, am I just going to need to run my cable from the antenna through the slides to get the best results with the booster? Thank you for your thoughts.
Benbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have KeyTv in your trailer, I understand there is issues with some equipment. You can remove the KeyTv and find the coax your looking for and try hooking directly into that coax for a quick test.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

As Chuck stated, the KEYTV system is limited in what it will recognize and pass through the system.. The frequencies that it recognizes are "OTA TV (video/audio), CABLE TV (video/audio), Satellite TV (video/audio) and FM radio (audio only). It will not recognize carrier frequencies for SIRIUS, cell phone communications or internet relay connections.....

So, it won't pass through the weboost signal, even if you can adapt the input/output to the coax connections. The frequencies are not recognized by the KEYTV processor

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
Benbill

Thank you guys. Why does it almost seem as if Keystone and other manufactures just try to make it difficult for owners to adapt third-party products?! I’ve only been at this for six months now and it definitely has its frustrations and limitations. But get beyond those, and glamping is awesome! So I guess I need to just run the coax directly to the booster. Many thanks for your quick replies.
Benbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbill View Post
Thank you guys. Why does it almost seem as if Keystone and other manufactures just try to make it difficult for owners to adapt third-party products?! I’ve only been at this for six months now and it definitely has its frustrations and limitations. But get beyond those, and glamping is awesome! So I guess I need to just run the coax directly to the booster. Many thanks for your quick replies.
Hey now, Keystone did 2 YEARS OF RESEARCH before implementing KeyTV. LOL

Tags
led