Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Texcoonazz

Heater operation - Electric / Gas

We have a 2018 Raptor 428SP. This unit has 3 ACs and one controller. When you scroll thru to turn off the AC and turn on the heat there is option to select gas or electric. At first I thought awesome ... I can save my propane. Tonight I turned the unit on and selected electric. A short time later the flame symbol popped up and the gas furnace kicked on. The overhead units also come on at the same time. Plenty of heat come out of the floor but cooler / cool air come out of the overheat units. No heat ever come out even though electric was selected. The garage is still running and no heat.

If there is a selection for electric why does the gas furnace come on? If there is a selection for electric doesn’t that mean the overheads should produce heat or is a heat strip needed? Or is that supposed to be a heat pump? Someone suggested these had heat pumps but I don’t think so.

Any help understanding how these systems work is appreciated.
Texcoonazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I believe that's for an electric heat strip that may, or may not be installed. I've read several posts where the heat strip was found installed but not plugged in. Remove the unit return air grill to find out. I think the LP furnace came on due to the absence of an increase in Temps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
ChuckS

I’m betting you either don’t have the heat strip option installed or it’s not hooked up....

https://www.trekwood.com/products/11...t-For-8330E635

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Texcoonazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I believe that's for an electric heat strip that may, or may not be installed. I've read several posts where the heat strip was found installed but not plugged in. Remove the unit return air grill to find out. I think the LP furnace came on due to the absence of an increase in Temps.
Thanks. Looks like mine does not have them installed. Looked in two of the three and saw yellow sticker that said install optional heat strip here. Are they worth the money? We had an AC years ago with optional heat installed and it worked great. Much smaller unit though.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
Texcoonazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I’m betting you either don’t have the heat strip option installed or it’s not hooked up....

https://www.trekwood.com/products/11...t-For-8330E635
It does not appear to have a heat strip installed. So the next question is ......is there any chance I have a heat pump? How do I tell if my ac unit is also a heat pump? Like I said no heat is coming out of the three units. Surely there is some way to tell if it is supposed to even in absence of the strip.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Heater operation - Electric / Gas

If your AC is a heat pump or has a heat strip, and you ask for a 5 degree rise or more the AC will run in either reverse (heat pump) or activate the heat trip AND the furnace will ignite to “assist”.

It’s designed that way, the AC is only meant to “maintain” the temp not heat the trailer.

If you know the model number of the AC unit, it will tell you if it has the reversing valve to operate as a heat pump, and they don’t blow that hot. And are about useless below I think 40 degrees ambient.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heat, heater