Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
GMcKenzie

Trailer suggestions. TT VS 5th

So we have a 2010 Cougar 30RKS that has been pretty much trouble free, but has a couple annoyances. Mostly storage, but fridge size is also a bit annoying.

For info it's just me, DW and a couple small dogs (Westies)

We started kicking tires at the RV stores for fun. Always a bad idea.

Came across the 33MLS at the local store (where I bought the once I have now) and liked it, but started looking online and found the 33 SAB. 2 fridges, big pantry and full closet across the front of the trailer. Have not seen one in real life yet, but the 3d walkthroughs look good.

Floorplan here
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

But, at 10,500 lbs, my current truck won't tow it. So thinking long term would be a new truck as well as a trailer.

So now I'm wondering if a 5th wheel wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm kinda against it as I think having the truck bed empty will be more useful, but most of what I put in it would go in the trailer basement anyway.

Now this is not a this year thing, but I'm curious if there is a comparable sized 5th wheel with a good sized fridge or fridges and closet space. What would folks recommend compared to the 33 SAB?

I'm going to do the new truck first, but don't want to go undersized if I go 5th wheel (don't really want a dually though). Truck will be gas, likely a new 2020 GMC 2500 or 3500.

Anyway, just continuing my tire kicking.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You're sort of at the same crossroads we've been at and can't seem to cross.

First thing I would say though, is no matter what you plan on getting at the moment, go ahead and get the 1 ton for the extra payload capacity. I've got a 3/4 with a nice payload but I'm going to go to the 1 ton and then let the capacity it has dictate what trailer I get.

For us, we wouldn't trade the full front closet for any of those little wardrobe slide outs. We just like the room. The issue we have is that we really (really) like our trailer and it makes finding something else that much more difficult. We would like a bigger fridge, and will get one if/when we get another trailer. I also like my bed space in the truck. I put a lot of stuff in it and would have to go to a big 5th wheel to put it all in the RV storage.

For us, trying to start to replicate what we have in our current RV (signature) will require us going to at least 12,500 - 13,000 lbs. - and neither of us can agree that we will be gaining anything to speak of....except a lighter wallet.

I think you're going in the right direction with at least 3 slides of which 2 are opposing; much roomier feel. Good luck on the search....it can be a long one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
Sinton4616

I went from a 34ft TT to 36ft FW. To us, the differences is night and day. With the FW we have more storage then the TT ever did. I also find the FW easier to hitch up and tow.

Storage - FW or toy hauler will give you a larger cargo capacity.
Larger fridge - Have you considered a residential style fridge? Can get 18CU FT fridge in a lot of units today. Ours has one and we love it, especially the ice maker.

Weight - TT will beat the FW if plan on keeping your current truck. But if you are planning on upgrading to a larger truck, do yourself a favor and go for a 1 ton. That'll give you more options down the road. Cost difference between a 3/4 to 1 ton single wheel truck is around 2K or so.

You don't need a dually to tow a FW, as long as you're within your weights. Plenty of light weight FW coming in under 13K where a single wheel 1 ton would handle easily. For example: https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...l-fifth-wheel/ Just be mindful of your total weights, etc. If you're planning on going larger, then the dually. Having towed a FW with a 2500, a borrowed F-350 single wheel and the current F-350 dually in my signature, I find the dually makes for a more relaxed towing experience. PLEASE do not tow a triple axle FW or TH with a 2500 truck. Seen enough of those this last vacation.

As for loosing your bed, from front to back I have a tool box on my truck, the FW hitch and have made a wooden box that is against the tailgate of the truck when going down the road. In the wooden box I store an extra propane bottle, can hold 2x20 lb bottles, my blocks, chocks, etc. It's out of the way and under the bedroom/overhang of the FW to keep things from walking away.

You'll still have some room in the bed of your truck to store things, just not as much. But you also gain a larger cargo capacity in the FW. Keep in mind the weights and cargo capacity of the truck as you've got to add the pin weight and hitch.

I'm not trying to convince you a FW is the way to go, just trying to help you make an "informed decision". Happy Hunting.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
GMcKenzie

So, looking at the floorplan suggested by Sinton4616, (thanks BTW). Might have to see if there is one to look at nearby.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Sinton4616

Make sure you due your due diligence. The dry weights for the Laredo are:
Key specifications - 325RL FIFTH WHEEL
Shipping Weight 10876
Carrying Capacity 2124
Hitch 1910
Length 36' 9"

Brochure lists the hitch at 17.5%, so at 13,000 total GVWR the pin weight would be around 2275 lbs. These are planning numbers, the only way to get real weights would be to weight the rig.

When I had an F250, CC, 4WD, the cargo carrying capacity was around 2080 lbs. The SRW F350 I was looking at had a cargo carrying capacity of 2400 lbs, that's why we went with a dually for our FW at 15,000lbs. Depending on the weights of the truck AND that little yellow sticker on the door jam, you maybe close with an F350 SRW.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
Roscommon48

not about rvs, but rather the 'truck.' my friend purchased a gas ram and pulls a large 5th wheel...he says it is great but a little weak when going up mountains.

good luck on truck and trailer. it is all about what YOU like and want. And then there is always what you can afford. The 2020 GMC diesel will run about $75-80K out the door so I assum the gas is about $10K less.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
GMcKenzie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
not about rvs, but rather the 'truck.' my friend purchased a gas ram and pulls a large 5th wheel...he says it is great but a little weak when going up mountains.

good luck on truck and trailer. it is all about what YOU like and want. And then there is always what you can afford. The 2020 GMC diesel will run about $75-80K out the door so I assum the gas is about $10K less.
Gotta convert that to Cdn $ for me. I think the Diesel will push $100K

Old 09-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
GMcKenzie

Spent part of Saturday kicking tires. Came across a trailer that looks intriguing, but don't know anything about the brand at all.

Anyway, it's a Sportrek Touring 343VIK. Sorry it's not a Keystone, but floorplan is here

https://www.venture-rv.com/products/...STT343VIK.html

Biggest thing is it's under 4600kg GVW, so no special licensing needed here.

So, anyone know if these are a decent brand? It's a big trailer for under 10,000 lbs, so wondering what the build quality might be. Only bad thing I see is the pass through is pretty small, but there is under bed storage with outside access. Inside storage seems decent and the DW seemed to like it.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
66joej

Don't know if reviews really matter but they are not good overall.
As we know RVs nowadays are basically a crap shoot.
Looks like a nice TT with lots of good features.
Price competitive with say Cougar or other similar TTs?

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
travelin texans

Built by KZ which is also a Thor subsidiary like Keystone. Don't there's any in the Thor stable that will be overbuilt, quality should the same as most any other brand or model.
Seems lightweight for a almost 38' TT. Even at just under 10k pounds that's not 1/2 ton towable.
Another concern for me, that's a lot of trailer behind you. My last 5th wheel was a foot longer, but several feet were in the truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
notanlines

Most seasoned RV’ers here will agree that your RV should be bought first (not everyone of course) and then buy the TV to do the job
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

A few things that stick out for me:

1. The trailer is nearly 38' long, weighs nearly 9000 pounds empty and only has a cargo capacity of 1300 pounds. With 350 pounds allotted for fresh water, that leaves less than 1000 pounds for cargo. Not much for a trailer that size, especially when you look at all the closet space, cupboard space and couble awnings, double fireplaces and only a single gray tank with a capacity of 32 gallons. It's not well suited for any dry camping, but at nearly 40' long, it wouldn't fit in many state park/national park sites anyway.

It's a big, heavy trailer with limited cargo capacity, limited waste water storage capacity and filled with a lot of "bling", all supported by 15" tires.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #13
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Built by KZ which is also a Thor subsidiary like Keystone. Don't there's any in the Thor stable that will be overbuilt, quality should the same as most any other brand or model.
Seems lightweight for a almost 38' TT. Even at just under 10k pounds that's not 1/2 ton towable.
Another concern for me, that's a lot of trailer behind you. My last 5th wheel was a foot longer, but several feet were in the truck.
I've got a max trailer package on my truck, and I won't tow more than the 8,200 lbs I have now. I feel close to maxed out so any new trailer is going to mean a new truck.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A few things that stick out for me:

1. The trailer is nearly 38' long, weighs nearly 9000 pounds empty and only has a cargo capacity of 1300 pounds. With 350 pounds allotted for fresh water, that leaves less than 1000 pounds for cargo. Not much for a trailer that size, especially when you look at all the closet space, cupboard space and couble awnings, double fireplaces and only a single gray tank with a capacity of 32 gallons. It's not well suited for any dry camping, but at nearly 40' long, it wouldn't fit in many state park/national park sites anyway.

It's a big, heavy trailer with limited cargo capacity, limited waste water storage capacity and filled with a lot of "bling", all supported by 15" tires.....
Current trailer has a carrying capacity of 1,458, so not a huge difference, but worth looking at. I'm used to towing without water
It's about 4' longer than my current as well.

My dry camping is limited to 1 weekend a year at this point, maybe 2. Otherwise, I use full hookups. Or at least power. I've done 5 days with just power (Lake Louise) and fill on the way in and dump on the way out.

The though of not having to get the license endorsement in BC is appealing, but I'm still looking.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Spent part of Saturday kicking tires. Came across a trailer that looks intriguing, but don't know anything about the brand at all.

Anyway, it's a Sportrek Touring 343VIK. Sorry it's not a Keystone, but floorplan is here

https://www.venture-rv.com/products/...STT343VIK.html

Biggest thing is it's under 4600kg GVW, so no special licensing needed here.

So, anyone know if these are a decent brand? It's a big trailer for under 10,000 lbs, so wondering what the build quality might be. Only bad thing I see is the pass through is pretty small, but there is under bed storage with outside access. Inside storage seems decent and the DW seemed to like it.
The floor plan of that venture-rv rig was pretty nice but I wonder about the usefulness of the closets in the bedroom. If you put a mattress topper on or a thicker mattress could you open the closet doors? They look tight up against the bed so access might not be fun anyway.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #16
Snoking

I would be concerned about how "lite" it is for it's size.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #17
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The floor plan of that venture-rv rig was pretty nice but I wonder about the usefulness of the closets in the bedroom. If you put a mattress topper on or a thicker mattress could you open the closet doors? They look tight up against the bed so access might not be fun anyway.
Not sure what you are looking at, but a topper wouldn't impact any of the closets. Not as far as I could see.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinton4616 View Post
Make sure you due your due diligence. The dry weights for the Laredo are:
Key specifications - 325RL FIFTH WHEEL
Shipping Weight 10876
Carrying Capacity 2124
Hitch 1910
Length 36' 9"

Brochure lists the hitch at 17.5%, so at 13,000 total GVWR the pin weight would be around 2275 lbs. These are planning numbers, the only way to get real weights would be to weight the rig.

When I had an F250, CC, 4WD, the cargo carrying capacity was around 2080 lbs. The SRW F350 I was looking at had a cargo carrying capacity of 2400 lbs, that's why we went with a dually for our FW at 15,000lbs. Depending on the weights of the truck AND that little yellow sticker on the door jam, you maybe close with an F350 SRW.
Well truth is most tandem axle 5ers will chuck like crazy with a 17.5% pin weight just too light. One really needs to think in the 20% to 25% range for pin, our 5er weights in at 12,500# and has a pin of 2,700#. Well if you weigh in at 13,000# 22% = 2,860#. You need to think about what else you carry in in your truck when camping. I was a little surprised when we weighed our current TV, with my in bed tool box loaded with necessary STUFF, full fuel, and DEF, DW myself, and hitch and adapter for pucks. Well TV has a Yellow sticker of 5,411# of payload, so 14,000#-5,411# = 8,589# curb weight we scaled at 9,950#! So 9,950# - 8,589 = 1,361# of other items removed from our payload, so I would have needed a SRW with a payload of 4,061# payload. I chose to get a DRW for growth, now very glad I did!!
I will add that we full time and our Ram 3500 CC LB is our daily driver (only vehicle) we don't have issues in parking lots or elsewhere.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:58 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Not sure what you are looking at, but a topper wouldn't impact any of the closets. Not as far as I could see.
Looked at their website at that model and the 360 view. This view made the closets door openings look like they would barely clear with the mattress provided in the view. The mattress in our camper came from a brick & mortar mattress store and is at least 4-5" taller than the crappy RV mattress that was in the unit when we bought it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:53 AM   #20
Northofu1

Quote:
Gotta convert that to Cdn $ for me. I think the Diesel will push $100K
Yup

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote