Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
TechGuy

Hello from the SF Bay Area

Hi All,

I just recently purchased a 2011 Copper Canyon 314-FWRLS and I took it for one test camping trip. I tried to test all the systems I could and found only 7 things that needed to be addressed.
  • Cut in roof over awning
  • rear left window glued shut
  • leaky bathroom panel in shower
  • TV antenna doesn't seem to be connected to TV
  • front storage door does not lock
  • missing screw in fill fresh water connection
  • rack in kitchen doesn't latch and opens when in travel

Most of these are small things but since it is under warranty it is now back at the dealer getting touched up, as well as having the fireplace installed.

My biggest fear and concern is the roof. I was so concerned before I bought the unit I call Keystone to ask if I could cover the roof with another material that would protect the rubber roof for a life time and if that would void the warranty. They gave me the number to DiCor (the makers of the roof) and I asked them. Of course they said if I should not put anything on the roof other then soap and water (must do every 3 months) or one of the UV products (which I was told from DiCor was really over kill and really only soap and water need to be used every 3 months).

Basically I was thinking about putting Line-X white on the roof so that it is leak proof, scratch and dent resistant, and UV protected for life. Has anyone else done something like this?

Thank you for reading my first post.

2011 Copper Canyon 314-FWRLS
2006 F350-SD CC LB FX4
TechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
My biggest fear and concern is the roof. I was so concerned before I bought the unit I call Keystone to ask if I could cover the roof with another material that would protect the rubber roof for a life time and if that would void the warranty. They gave me the number to DiCor (the makers of the roof) and I asked them. Of course they said if I should not put anything on the roof other then soap and water (must do every 3 months) or one of the UV products (which I was told from DiCor was really over kill and really only soap and water need to be used every 3 months).

Basically I was thinking about putting Line-X white on the roof so that it is leak proof, scratch and dent resistant, and UV protected for life. Has anyone else done something like this?
Welcome to the forum.

I had a Dicor rubber roof on my previous TT which I purchased new in 1999. It served us well with no issues until we traded it in just a month ago. I never coated it with anything, but I did get a tube of their self-leveling caulk a couple of years ago and coated some of the existing caulk that had begun to form cracks. (That is normal over time and is their recommended procedure for maintenance.) Other than that, it got washed several times a year.

I probably should have used some 303 Protectant on it but didn't. Those that do so regularly report slower aging of the roof material.

If this is your first rubber roof, I think you should follow the manufacturer's instructions for a season or two and then see if you still think you need to coat it. There are tens of thousands of these roofs already in service, some for more than a dozen years now. There are really only a couple of real issues with them:

* Tears and holes from external sources like tree limbs. No additional coating will prevent this.
* Cracks in the caulk on the seams. This is normal over time, and simply needs routine maintenance. Coating the seams with self-leveling caulk is the recommended maintenance. I prefer Dicor products, but others have had good luck with other products including the Line-X. As long as the product is manufactured for rubber membrane roofs, it should work well.

Like most items on your RV, the roof needs to be inspected periodically. Coating the roof denies you the opportunity to see what is happening to the membrane itself.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Other than routine cleaning and seasonal caulking with Dicor self-levelling sealant, our roof has stood up well. Because we don't live in an area that gets year-round sun, I haven't applied any UV protection but am considering using Aerospace 303. (Sometimes, it seems that the sun never shines here on the wet and cloudy BC coast). I have used this before in a marine application and have been very pleased with the results.
As Steve has already pointed out, you can't make your existing rubber roof "tear or scratch" proof. An aluminium or fiberglass roof will offer better protection against this kind of damage but with rubber, it will rip if caught by a branch or other sharp object.
Just make sure that when you do your caulking, use an EPDM compatible sealant/caulk.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Another thought or two here..

First, if the Line-X you are considering for a complete coating is petroleum based, it is a really bad idea. The EPDM roofs will disintegrate if such products are used on it. I believe it states so right in the literature for the Dicor roofs.

Second, the ease of repair of rubber roofs is often overlooked. If your roof membrane gets a hole or tear, it can be repaired immediately and permanently by you with some Eternabond tape and a bit of the Dicor self-leveling caulk to seal the edges of the tape.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
geo

EPDM Roof

TechGuy -

Steve is correct. Anything that contains any kind of petroleum distillate will cause the EPDM roof to separate - become un-glued - from the trailer. Besides voiding the warranty, really big, expensive problems! Do a search on "roof" or "rubber roof" in the forum. You will find plenty of threads about the knowledge you seek. Check out Flyguy's home page for some very informative links.

I wash my roof down several times a year with borax and a soft, long-handle brush. The EPDM is designed to last 20 years with simple care and regular maintenance. Just be sure to use self-leveling caulk that does not contain petroleum distillate.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
TechGuy

thank you for your replys

I would like to thank everyone for your thoughts and advice. I had 2 small rips on the rolled part of the roof and it was only a few days old. Sad part is that I have no idea where or how it could have happened. I think it was in the town of Angels Camp where I must have come too close to a over hanging tree. There are no over hanging trees in my driveway or at the RV park that we went to. But it is all fixed now with a new "Millennium" roof (my insurance covered it and it and the RV dealer said it was better then patching a brand new coach). So I have not put the Line-X or Rhino-liner (made for pickup truck beds) on the top of it. The new roof seems thicker and much brighter than what was there.

We have camped 5 times with it so far (about once a month) and very minor issues. I love this forum, because I learn so much from it. I need to do the heat vents for the bedroom and bathroom as described by Maxzd in http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1966.

One thing I just had a issue with on my way back from Disneyland it seems my grease cap came off one of my hubs. I put it back on by taking the wheel off and tapping the cap back in place with a rubber mallet. Has anyone else seen this on a very bumpy road? Is this something I need to watch every time I drive on route 5?

Thanks again for all your help!

2011 Copper Canyon 314-FWRLS
2006 F350-SD CC LB FX4
TechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote