Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
kiwi2000

Any Canadians that bought a US product?

I am getting a good old runaround trying to save a few bucks on a 5th wheel purchase. I am in Canada and the price difference on the identical model is outrageous between US and Canada.

I am also told that if I were to purchase a 5th from the US that my local service centers even though they are authorized service centers for Keystone will not service them for any type of work, warranty or not.

Has anyone else had this issue come up?
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Some dealers say that, unless you purchased the RV from them, they will either not service it for you or put your work order at the bottom of the pile. Why they do this is beyond me but in saying that, they are losing a future customer and your business.
If you can save a pile of $$$$ by purchasing it the the US, then I would do that and forget about your local service center and take it somewhere else -hopefully close by - where they want your business and believe in customer service.
Have you been told by your local authorized Keystone service center that they will not work on it? If you have, then write or email Keystone and let them know what you have been told and send a copy to this dealer.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
28Bunkhouse

Purchasing a US RV

I live in Western Canada and Keystone produces certain models for the US Northwest and Canada which may have different options.

2011 Springdale 281

2003.5 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

Rear air bag assist

Northern British Columbia, Canada
28Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
heatkits

So, what's the big deal?

When I bought my Sprinter 297RET almost three years ago the salesman said; "Let me take you out back, introduce you to our service manager and a tour the shop". My reply was; "No thanks, you'll never see me again, until I'm ready for a new one". There is nothing that I can't fix on something as simple as a RV. All it takes is a little common since, few simple tools and enough patience to get the task done.

I guess it comes from being a delivery captain for show boats. When you're at sea there is no running back to the dealer for every problem, big or small.

Besides, couldn't you plan a camping trip back to the states and get some service while you're here?
heatkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
CarKath

I live in Manitoba and bought my Alpine in Minnesota. I personally saved no less than $25000.00 . Depending on how you work numbers I saved more. I had a trade in deal. I lost GST paid on trade but was able to get a rebate on PST previously paid on trade.

There is no doubt you will save money shopping south of the 49th parallel.

My dealer in Minnesota also told me. Warranty issues , and local dealer will not help. Call us and we will make sure it happens. Bottom line is Keystone is paying the warranty bill . No matter where you are.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Heatkits:
You are fortunate in that you have the expertise to fix anything that goes wrong with your RV and don't require the services of an RV tech/mechanic. There are some RV owners, however, who don't have these skills and rely on others to do repairs or service their RV.
It may also be possible that a repair or service needs to be carried out quickly and travelling perhaps hundreds of miles into the U.S.A. may not be feasible or practical.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
dooby

I'm in Manitoba.
I bought my Passport in Ohio and saved many thousands of dollars.
I had one service issue with the propane regulator.
The dealer had the part drop shipped to my house straight from Keystone, no charge.
I shipped the old part back to the dealer at my own expense (about $16.00).
The dealer offered to reimburse for shipping but I never got around to taking them up on it.

If a Manitoba dealer came within a few of thousand dollars of the US dealer, I'd likely do business at home. Problem is, they don't.

I spoke with regional sales reps at 3 RV manufacturers. They all validated that the US product would get full manufacturers support in Canada, but not to expect a warm and fuzzy welcome from the local dealer.

I weighed the odds and took my chances.

Warranty period is now over, and If I did need repair I would deal with a service center that only provides repair as apposed to sales and repair.

I bet I'd be treated as well as any other paying customer.

Touch wood, no need to worry about it so far.
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
pollockd

My Laredo 291tg was about 10-12 cheaper in the States. I got a quote from the US dealer and the dealer in Ottawa came within 2000. I bought it in Ottawa, trust me, getting the service when you want it will make all the difference. That being said, if your dealer does not come close to the price in the States.....I guess you go ahead and buy there.
pollockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
Reel Crazy

Do it

I live in Alberta and I just picked up my second trailer in the US. Saved 8 grand on my 2009 Surveyor and saved 10 grand on my new 2012 Laredo. It is so easy to do and I had several warranty jobs on the Surveyor and they were fully covered. I currently have my Laredo in the shop getting a few warranty items taken care of and they are fully covered. The way I look at it is they did not earn my business on the purchase of the trailer but they will get my business on the service side now for warranty work and after the warranty expires. If the difference was only a few grand it's not worth it but 5 grand or more, I say go for it.

Reel Crazy
2012 Laredo 291tg
2009 Nissan Titan SE
Reel Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
kiwi2000

Festus2 wrote

Quote:
Some dealers say that, unless you purchased the RV from them, they will either not service it for you or put your work order at the bottom of the pile. Why they do this is beyond me but in saying that, they are losing a future customer and your business.
If you can save a pile of $$$$ by purchasing it the the US, then I would do that and forget about your local service center and take it somewhere else -hopefully close by - where they want your business and believe in customer service.
Have you been told by your local authorized Keystone service center that they will not work on it? If you have, then write or email Keystone and let them know what you have been told and send a copy to this dealer.
Yes all of this is going on and we will be put at the bottom etc. I did contact Keystone and they say it is up to the dealer what they do and also in regards to Canadian certification. If they do not want to work on it they don't have to. All in all very frustrating. The last think I want is to spend all of this cash and find out no one will service it?

Not much help from Keystone either.

While I am waxing on, just how much service is required on these things? The dealers all say I will be placed at the bottom of the pile and it could take a good while to have things looked at if at all. I am purchasing this for a use in a leisure activity not to add stress and headaches.
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Most people do not take their RV's in for "servicing" as most tend to carry out any routine maintenance work themselves - caulking, lubrication, etc. As I pointed out earlier in another post, if you are handy, you might be able to do many of the needed repairs yourself. Some of the "do-it-yourself" things are exactly that --- tightening loose screws, repostioning handles, drawer slides, and other things that often are ignored on the assembly line and by quality control.
Most, if not all of your appliances already have a 1 or 2 year warranty so if you have problems with any of those, they will be covered by that.
Surely there must be some RV service center in your area or close by that will work on your RV who would appreciate your business should the need arise.
Some folks have never had their unit in for repairs or servicing but probably most have had to at some point in time. The key is to get by that first warranty year and after that it doesn't really matter. I don't recall seeing what year or model you have or are looking at so it may already be past the warranty???? If this the warranty issue is a major concern, why not buy last year's model - one that is past the warranty? If you bought one in the US, you would still get a good deal on a near-new one in excellent condition.
Do you live close enough to the border to be able to make a quick trip into the US for warranty work there?
It's hard to say how much service is required....Some people seem to get by with very little - others have had problems of various degrees and their unit might spend more time in the shop.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
E&Lteam

re: 2011 Cougar 318sab bought in US

We saved at least $10,000. when we purchased our new Cougar last spring. The sales experience from the dealer in Washington was professional and not pushy like dealers we have experienced near our home in BC. Part way through our warranty period, we had an electrical issue. We phoned a Canadian dealer a couple of hours from our small town, and they said they would be happy to do the warranty work on a unit purchased in the US. So...not all Canadian dealers are as small-minded as others! We ended up figuring out our electrical glitch for ourselves and have had no other trouble with our Cougar. We will purchase in the US again if the price difference is so drastic!
E&Lteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
moutard2

Crappola!

I too purchased my 2011 5th Wheel in the USA. Keystone AND Keystone dealers are obligated legally I believe & from my experience, committed to honouring any warranty issues in either the USA or Canada at YOUR option. I have had warranty work done in both the USA and in Canada without problems of any kind. The canadian dealer gets authorization from Keystone to perform the warranty repairs (as did the US dealer) and the repairs were then completed to my satisfaction without any cost to me. If your canadian dealer refuses to honour the warranty and do the work then I'd take the matter up with Keystone.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
moutard2

From the Keystone Owner's Manual

It says ... "To obtain warranty service the owner must deliver the recreational vehicle to AN AUTHORIZED KEYSTONE DEALER". There is no statement in the manual to the effect that vehicles purchased in the USA by Canadians won't be serviced in Canada. I suppose that the dealer may somehow have the right to refuse service but what business in their right mind would turn away a customer especially when it may have generated hundreds of dollars of revenue and a satisfied customer. Such dealers (and I'll bet they're few) should be exposed on this forum and elsewhere at every opportunity IMHO.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Sabrecanuck

Don't know yet...

We purchased our Keystone Bullet in the US. I begged/pleaded for Manitoba dealers to come even remotely close to the price in U.S. and they wouldn't/couldn't. $6K was closest taking into consideration ($1k) cost to drive down and get it.

For $6k, I'll 'warranty' it myself if I have to and if I can't fix it, I'll pay a local shop to do the repairs...... It's either pay more money up front for 'warranty' or save that money and assume you don't have warranty.

I don't think the shops can actually DENY you service but your unit will definitely be at the bottom of their list... Their list would be the same as any car/truck/trailer/motorbike dealership:
1) Customer that purchased from us.
2) Repeat customer (i.e. oil changes, service, etc.).
3) Customer that purhcased locally (dealers like to steal competitors cust.)
4) Customer paying cash.
5) Customer that purchased in Canada.
6) Customer that purchased in U.S.

That's the way I look at it anyway and yes, I know I am at the bottom of the list now... But I saved $6k!!!
Sabrecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #16
LittleJoe

I purchased a new 325SRX this July with a trade in. The local dealer in Cornwall came within 2000.00 of the best deal I could find in US which happened to be in Michigan.
The costs involved in driving 1000+ miles for pickup / delivery and trade all factored in made my decision to pay the little extra and have(which has turned out to be a great dealer for service) no extra issues to deal with.

Sometimes if you show a dealer owner (not salesmen) the kind of deal you can ligitimately make across the border, they will sharpen the old pencil a little more than usual.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
planecrazy

Warranty problems in Canada

We purchased our 2011 Keystone Springdale 5th last Dec. in Minnesota.

We took our trailer in to a Winnipeg dealership for warranty work on the microwave. The dealership was going to order in a new one for us as the door was steaming up. After waiting at least 6 wks. we found out that the dealership is in receivership..

Now we find out that our trailer which was purchased in the US is not CSA approved & the Keystone dealership in Winnipeg will not let their technicians work on it unless we bring it in & have the necessary work done on it to make it CSA approved. That could cost $1000.00 and up to get the necessary work done.

Has anyone come across this problem lately???
planecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

I would look into what is actually involved in getting it CSA approved. I think the only item that needs CSA certification is the propane system and not sure if everything that runs on propane needs this approved or just some of the them. There should be some government place you can contact. Perhaps the people at the border know. If it didn't pass the requirements when it came across the border, they wouldn't have let it in (????). You might also check with another dealer to see if you get the same story.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
CarKath

planecrazy , you obviously went through the RIV process and inspection. Not to mention having paid all your fees and taxes.

Once you have done this. It is now Canadian approved. This sound like nothing more than the dealer trying to screw you around.

I'd pick my trailer up ASAP. Then I'd call Keystone and make then aware of what one of there dealers is trying to pull.

I'd also love to know the name of dealer. I'll never darken there doorways. Winnipeg is also my closest warranty place. Keep us posted as to how you make out!

Carl
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #20
albertr

I too bought a Keystone product in the US that was under warranty. Before buying I contacted a local dealer here in Ontario and the service manager told me that they would not touch it because of the CSA thing. This correspondence was by e-mail. I then contacted Keystone. Later that same day I got an email from Keystone manufacturing and one from the manager of the local dealership telling me that the service manager was wrong and that I would get work done as if I had bought it in Canada. I have not needed the dealership.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote