Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
Cheryl

Solar prep plug

There is an exterior solar plug on our Hideout. Can I just plug in a portable solar panel or does something else have to be done first? Also, does the panel have a shut off to prevent overcharging the battery?

Thanks
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Tbos

That’s a good question. I have one of those on my new Alpine and I have the same questions.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
Bisjoe

I just went through this on my Springdale. We bought a Coleman 100 watt panel with controller, because after testing with a meter discovered that the plug is directly connected to the batteries. The controller that came with the panel will prevent over charging. Ours came without a male plug, just bare wires, so I had to buy one (SAE).
Our panel with controller was about $100 at Amazon.

Some trailers will have a Zamp rather than SAE plug, and while it looks the same the polarity is reversed. If so it should be labeled something like "Warning - Use only Zamp solar panels." If in douubt, check polarity before hooking up.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
Khorsam

I have a 2018 Hideout 21.

I have to admit I am a tad confused about what I am being told.

The dealer told me the plug in the front of the unit is for a permanent solar setup. They said the portable ones would clip onto the batteries. But why then does it matter what the wattage of the panels is, if they are only keeping the batteries charged? Makes no sense.

Keystone told me that it was a Furion system that connected directly to the main electrical system and, depending on the wattage of the panels, would power all the appliances with the exception of the AC.

I'm trying to sort all this out, but clearly the people who should know... don't.

Anyone have some real answers?

Thanks,
Robert
Khorsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!! If you look at the lid of the connection port, I’m willing to bet it says 10amps. That’s almost enough to keep a charged battery charged with nothing on.

Depending on what your looking to do, there are lots of different options. Solar has come a long way in a short time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
kenmoffat

My solar panel simply plugs in to the solar prep jack. It came with the appropriate plug.
When I incorrectly hooked up a second panel my jack quit working. I thought I might have blown a fuse, but I am unable to find the fuse for the solar prep jack. Anyone know where it might be?
2017 Keystone Springdale 202
kenmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorsam View Post
I have a 2018 Hideout 21.

I have to admit I am a tad confused about what I am being told.

The dealer told me the plug in the front of the unit is for a permanent solar setup. They said the portable ones would clip onto the batteries. But why then does it matter what the wattage of the panels is, if they are only keeping the batteries charged? Makes no sense.

Keystone told me that it was a Furion system that connected directly to the main electrical system and, depending on the wattage of the panels, would power all the appliances with the exception of the AC.

I'm trying to sort all this out, but clearly the people who should know... don't.

Anyone have some real answers?

Thanks,
Robert
Like Chuck said, it depends on what you want to accomplish. It's not just the solar panel but also where you're going to store the energy. A 100 watt panel will keep a 12v battery charged with maybe the fridge and water heater on gas on a sunny day.

If you run the furnace and water pump a lot then you'll need more solar energy and battery capacity. "Running all your appliances except the air conditioner will require a lot of energy. The microwave would require a large inverter and lot's of 12v capacity, a nwere led TV not so much.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmoffat View Post
My solar panel simply plugs in to the solar prep jack. It came with the appropriate plug.
When I incorrectly hooked up a second panel my jack quit working. I thought I might have blown a fuse, but I am unable to find the fuse for the solar prep jack. Anyone know where it might be?
2017 Keystone Springdale 202
Follow the wire down to the battery. There's likely an in line fuse close to the battery.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
kenmoffat

I can't find the wire. I'll look harder. Thanks.
kenmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
1953TBM

You can get a reverser adaptor to get correct polarity Zamp plug is reversed for a reason.
Home Depot sells a Renogy 100a suitcase that has built in controller. I thinkI got the reverser cable from Amazon
1953TBM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar