Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 04:04 AM   #1
Double b

The John Candy Moment....

I don't know about the rest of everyone here, but I'm sure that I am not the only one who has that "John Candy or Uncle Buck" moment in the their life while camping that sticks with them to this day. And I am sure there are others our there like me that have more of them in your life than the average person.

What I a referencing is the Karma. It seams to find me in spades. I find as I get older that it do not allow it to effect me as much as it did in my younger days, but there is always something that happens that leaves me red faced and my wife and kids laughing their butts off.

For example, last year we where on our first big/long trip with the new camper. On our way to Tobermory Canada we decided to take the bag roads and see the country. We where well into our 3 hour of driving and I look down at the gas gage and notice that its just above a 1/4 tank. So I mention to the wife that hey the next little town we need to stop and get gas. Well it turns out that we are in Amish country and little to my knowledge there are not a lot of gas stations around.

We pass thru the first town no gas station, then 40 mils away another town and no gas station. Final we spot in the third town (gas gage is reading 1/8 of a tank) and the pump are 90 degrees to the road. I look at my wife and say no problem!, there is a fairly big parking lot and I get around in it and pull into the tanks.

When pulling into the lot I become aware to the overhang from the neighboring building along the drive to the back of the lot, I also become aware to the way the cars are park in the lot. I end up finding myself where I cannot make the final turn to get to pumps due to 1 car in the lot so I have to back up and jack knife the rig a bit to try to get around this one car. Wouldn't you know, Karma kicks in. As I back up 4-5' I here a crunching sound. Yep its the bumper and the nice fiberglass front cap on our rib. Jam on the brakes, put it in park, and check out the damage. It's there a small 2" round indent in the fiberglass cap where the bumper touched.

So what to do, I walk into the gas station and notice everyone in watching us with rabid attention. I ask the lady behind the counter at the gas bar if they knew who's car it was. Lucky it was her's. I politely asked if she could move it up a couple of feet so I could get around to the pumps, and she very nicely agreed to move it. Great I think!

Again Karma kicks in again! After she moves her car I pull up to the pump. I get out and look over the trailer and truck and confirm I can get out, then walk up to the pump. Nice big paper sheet taped to the front of all the pumps, no gas. Truck will be in next Tuesday.

Now this is where I get a bit upset! Why would a gas station be open in a small town, if there is no gas? What's the point? I walk into the store again and ask politely (remember I'm Canadian) where is the nearest station that does have gas. They inform us that there maybe gas 2-3 town down the road.

So we pull out of the station and continue on our way. We did find gas, and my mood did improve once we got it, but my wife and kids laughing about the crunch on the cap and the other fun stuff at the gas station still gets talked about to this day. Every time we hook up to the camper as a matter of fact.

Moral of the story, even though karma kicks in, its at those times that the best times are made. My kids will always remember when daddy almost ran out of gas, broke the camper and almost hit the building in the gas station.

My point in sharing this is 2 fold. 1) to help new camper to think about a couple lessons learned, (plan out fuel stops, check our clearances before pulling in, and always make sure they have what you need before committing a pump) and 2) the worst times Karma shows up, is normally when it is needed the most. Laugh them off and move forward. They help build the family memories that last life times.

I'm hoping others will share their tales of Karma that where family memory building events. Because isn't that what camping is all about.

By the way, my nick name from my buddies is John Candy, because these events happen with great frequency.
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:25 AM   #2
xrated

Situational awareness goes a long way to help prevent, or minimize those "karma" moments that we all have ocassionally.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Tbos

Thanks for sharing your story. This type of think can really help old and new alike.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
mfifield01

I have a similar fuel story, but nothing bad happened. In 2014, we set out on a guy only trip. We took my friend's Ram 2500 and his Prowler trailer from Central Texas to Colorado. I didn't personally think it would be a problem, but it was hard to find diesel in West Texas. We had to go through a few different towns to find a station that actually carried diesel. We got pretty low, but made it. On the way back, I mapped out stations with diesel.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
byrdr1

Funny story, BUT so true.
The last trip out I cruised till the fuel light comes on. The reason is I am only 15 miles from my destination and I can make it. but we are going to Pigeon forge TN. TRAFFIC can be an issue.
So I am like I would feel so much better if I stop and get fuel. the reason I pushed it was we got a late start on the trip and were on the road for close to 6 hours and I wanted to get to the campsite before dark, backing the 5er is not my idea of fun in the dark. So I pushed it to the limit.
Back to the real story. I get off an exit for the only 2 stations on this exits. Pilot across the street from brand new Speedway, speedway diesel is 25˘ a gallon cheaper they have truck pumps. Guess who misses the truck entrance so NOW I am either going in the car side entrance or going up the road to turn around somewhere? So I look and I can make it.
YEAH, right the wife says. I do make it to the pumps all jacked knifed. $85 later and now how am I going to get out. I can't make the swing around the pumps as I am jackknifed already. Don't want to take out the fuel pumps and my camper in one move. SO I am left with backing it up and around the cars to a better position to turn around and so I can get out the car entrance. The wife has gone inside and took a breaka nd comes back out with some snack crap and she's asking what am I going to do.. You know my temperature is just about there by now. SO I ask her can she spot for me so I can back this rig up and get back on the road. Remember I am trying to get to the campground before dark... She was nice and agreed.. I was able to back up and swing around in the tightest of spaces and looked at the front of my camper up close making the swing. Glad no one wanted in the parking lot while I was going out. Back on the road she tells me you handled that like a professional. I was kind and said thank you and kept my real thoughts to myself. BUT deep down I was Poed at myself for putting myself in that position and then getting Poed about it all especially when she asked what was I going to do?
Lessons learned and to get fuel when you know you need too and don't push yourself to the limits. had I stopped earlier on the trip I would have had a better fueling experience and then still got to the campground on time without all the stress I created.
have a great one,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
66joej

Ah yes 5ers and car fuel lanes.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
bobbecky

We had a low fuel issue a couple years ago, south of Odessa, TX. We were getting low on diesel, and used our phone app looking for stations. Went through a couple small towns, no stations with diesel. After going through the last town, that had a mini-mart with diesel, but no way could we pull the 5er in to get fuel. The app said there was fuel less than ten miles ahead, went to where it was supposed to be, and nothing there. I wheeled the rig around and headed back to the mini-mart, pulled past it on a side street, dropped the rig and got fuel. It just isn't worth damaging the rig or truck to get fuel, and dropping and reconnecting the rig doesn't take more than ten minutes.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
canesfan

^^^ is why I always carry a yellow 5 gallon fuel jug. You NEVER know.

Was going to Kansas a few years ago when the Interstate bridge at Louisville was out. I knew this in advance and had planned a fuel stop before I thought I'd get to the congestion. Well, I made it, the congestion started sooner than I had thought, but got to the gas station. They were out of diesel. Fortunately I had 5 gallons in the bed of the truck. It got us to the next available and accessible fuel station. And even if I can't get in, I can just take the jug up to the pump a time or two and head down the road to find a place I can get into, and out of. Planning little things ahead pays great dividends at times.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
heiserk0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Ah yes 5ers and car fuel lanes.
My wife and kids don't understand sometimes when I don't want to pull into McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, etc. while pulling the 5'er. They don't understand how stressful it can be maneuvering through the parking lots. I generally either find an open lot close by and make everyone walk or make 'em starve a bit.

heiserk0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #10
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiserk0410 View Post
My wife and kids don't understand sometimes when I don't want to pull into McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, etc. while pulling the 5'er. They don't understand how stressful it can be maneuvering through the parking lots. I generally either find an open lot close by and make everyone walk or make 'em starve a bit.

Those drive throughs are pretty low, too, not to mention tight corners.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #11
mfifield01

Google Maps with street view has been extremely helpful. I have the DW pull up food stops and look around for a parking lot or street parking on her phone.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
Pull Toy

Back when I was a Lad... we walked to the fuel stop, and it was uphill both ways!!! LOL

All kidding aside I remember a trip about 20 years ago. We were going to visit family in Essex Junction, VT, from Connecticut in mid September, In the Old Days, Chevy had "Twin Twenty" saddle tanks, with a servo switch on the dash, I would always fill both tanks for any trip. I always let tank one get down to 1/4, and switch to tank two. When "two" ran out, I'd switch back to one, and have about 50 miles to find gas.

This trip, we had an early snowfall in the mountains of Vermont. It was almost a whiteout situation, and I was already on tank two. I see a sign "Fuel This Exit", and bail for an upload. Three mountain ranges (about 20 miles) later, I find a 2 pump island with a 10 foot canopy, I needed a minimum of 13'. I actually had to unhook at the side of the road, and "Bob-tail" to the pump!

I learned right then to put a 5 gallon jug of fuel in the bed, just because....

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
notanlines

Double B, I don't know if there was ever a funnier man than John Candy, and when I get back Brenda and I are going to pull out our copy of Uncle Buck and laugh our butts off one more time. Now, about your statement "I walk into the store again and ask politely (remember I'm Canadian), maybe you've never traveled in Quebec.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
Bar-OneRanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
^^^ is why I always carry a yellow 5 gallon fuel jug. You NEVER know
Me too, I now use the metal DOT can after a few leaks from the plastic ones.
Chris
2003 Flagstaff 25LB,1993 Terry 35V
1982 Serro Scotty 18',1976 Dutchcraft 25'
1972 Banner 18'
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #15
Double b

John Candy Moment #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Double B, I don't know if there was ever a funnier man than John Candy, and when I get back Brenda and I are going to pull out our copy of Uncle Buck and laugh our butts off one more time. Now, about your statement "I walk into the store again and ask politely (remember I'm Canadian), maybe you've never traveled in Quebec.
What I reference is I am always accused by my "American neighbors" of being way to polite to the point of offence. Even though I do not realize it. Its a Canadian thing. I have come to call it the "Texas Effect". What I mean is when you think everyone has a loaded gun at the ready, you tend to treat people the utmost respect and curtesy. But that is another tread of discussion.

As to John Candy moments in RV'ing. I was hoping not only sticking to fuel issues. I had another moment last year on our first camping trip.

This time; We had Booked at KOA in Port Huron on the US side. This park was recommended to our family buy others we know that go yearly due to the water/fun park located right next door. Seeing our 4 kids where 8 thru 13 at the time, we decided why not. So when asking for how to book, we where told just go on line and book on the KOA site. Which we did, but not knowing what we where doing at the time.

When we got there and where checking in, we where informed that the Pull-thru full service site that we thought we booked turned out to be a Back in with water only. With not having ever backed in a 35' trailer into a confined site, I was extremely hesitant to accept the site. We ended up paying and driving to see it, as we had just driven 3 hours to get there the kids where not going to let us drive home after seeing the water slides.

With being early pulling in, say 2pm on a Friday, the pull thru site across from us was empty. So all turned out great. Just pull into the site across from us and back it in. Karma was on our side that day.

Next day and the over estimated capacity black water tank was full as well as the camp ground was another story. Lots of opinions from other camper watching the "Rolling Herd" pull out to dump the tank. Again here Karma was on our side. As I took a leap of faith and backed it in first try and hit the same spot we where in and nothing else!

Again the lessons learned, 1) confirm on the confirmation slip/email that the site type you think your getting matches. 2) practice backing up the trailer in a empty parking lot, a lot before you go to packed campgrounds with lots of spectators, 3) Being a bit on the early side of getting to your site will help with set up and backed in. Also less people watching from their lawn chairs with cup holders. 4) Girls use a ton of water (No wonder my home water bill is so high), so make everyone use the campground facilities when ever daylight. 5) go with the flow, your camping, don't stew about the little things, your there to relax!

As to that KOA, I would recommend to all that have little kids. Those that are looking for a quite escape you will want to avoid the place. But bring lots of money unless you have a golf cart, a bike for everyone. And even then still being money. The attached/next door water/fun park was great. With having a larger family, the discount after 5 people actually is to our advantage for once. The "Toilet Bowl slide" was the biggest hit with the kids....
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #16
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double b View Post
As to that KOA, I would recommend to all that have little kids. Those that are looking for a quite escape you will want to avoid the place. But bring lots of money unless you have a golf cart, a bike for everyone. And even then still being money. The attached/next door water/fun park was great. With having a larger family, the discount after 5 people actually is to our advantage for once. The "Toilet Bowl slide" was the biggest hit with the kids....
The Port Huron KOA is definitely one of the kid friendliest campgrounds in Michigan. Once, I read that it was ranked in the national top 10 as a prime destination for kids. Last year, we visited the campground twice, and this was our first year camping in our RV. It would have been 3 times but our last Halloween trip out was cancelled due to rain.

Another mid-west CG that ranks as high as PH's KOA is the Yogi Bear Jellystone Park in Barton Lake, Indiana. A friend recommended it to us and boy, was it a hit with our little ones. 4 different pools, including an indoor one, water slides, and a splash park. Weekend trips during the summer are reserved to capacity 1 year ahead. We have our second trip booked during the 3rd week of June.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote