Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
homer3

Black Tank Flush - New Question

How many of you if any, while flushing the Black Tank and still hooked up to city water have ever ran a hose from the hot water heater relief valve in to the hose bib of the Black Tank flush. Just wondering if the hot water would help break things up a little bit. Would the water be to hot for flush lines? .... ???

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Tbos

Re: Black Tank Flush - New Question

Never tried it. I'd be more worried about the hose handling the heat than I would the flush tubing. Use lots of water each time the toilet is used. That will help too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Interesting question. I would think the lines could handle the hot water, but I'm not so sure there would be any real benefit since your just going to dump in a matter of minutes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

Have watched 2 use the shower hose. One had a quick-connect on the shower hose/black flush. He used hot water.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
theeyres

Seems like overkill to me. No need to break things up if use plenty of water in the first place. In 40 years of RVing in various rigs I've never had a build up of solids. KISS.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:58 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

6 gallons of hot water is not going to make much difference in 30-40 gallons of black water. I don't think this would be worth the trouble. That said, try it and report back the results. I'd be the first one to admit I was wrong. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
How many of you if any, while flushing the Black Tank and still hooked up to city water have ever ran a hose from the hot water heater relief valve in to the hose bib of the Black Tank flush. Just wondering if the hot water would help break things up a little bit. Would the water be to hot for flush lines? .... ???
I use Dawn in the tank and just flush with cold water. Hot water may have some some additional effect, like washing dishes in hot water, but its a poop tank, so (to quote an ex-politician), "At this point what difference does it make."

I think in this case, an anal endeavor cancels an effort to be anal.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
hankaye

homer3, Howdy;

Even with such things as check-valves and such in place .... they are
man-made, and as such prone to failure. I find the thought of creating a
"closed loop" with the RV's fresh water system as a "Does NOT compute!"
item, regardless. If I felt that hot water was needed I'd heat some up
then dump it down the commode.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
Pull Toy

You tell 'em Hankeye!!!

+ 1 here.........................

Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #10
concours

I don't think that opening the pressure relief valve on a regular basis is a good idea it was never intended to be an on off tap. I think that you will end up with a leaking valve.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
bmach

Why are people afraid to hook a hose to their black tank flush? If to hooked your shower hose to the flush, do you think stuff will crawl back to your hose from the black tank? Just curious why the aversion to it.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
srvnt

Absolutely you could possibly contaminate your fresh water if you tie in anywhere using your fresh water. Even with the tank flush so called cheesy in-line vacuum breaker/check valve, you could back-flow if this device failed, and fail they do. I removed my cheesy in-line vacuum breaker/check valve before it could fail and flood my RV as has happened to others.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
CWSWine

I have used my outdoor shower connect for years and haven't had a problem. If there not a line at the dump station I will use the outdoor show hooked the black tank flush and turn cold water till runs clean then turn the hot I get more stuff out the tank. If I have hookups and just use the cold water from the camp grounds to run the flush. I don't leave it hooked up, right after the flush I will disconnect from the black tank flush.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's set up an example of why the anti-siphon device is necessary and why it should be working. Let's "throw in a single use hose" that is used for black tank flushing as well as filling the fresh water tank/connecting to the city water source. Now, "act 1" of our example

OK, "camper X" decides to flush his black tank, he's connected to city water and closes his black tank valve (just for a couple minutes) with full intentions of opening the valve after standing beside his trailer, looking at the second hand on his watch to be sure he doesn't go over 3 minutes.....

He and the next door camper get to talking, "camper X" is also watching his second hand. Three minutes are up, he turns to his camper, pulls the tank valve and goes back to talking to the neighbor. Several minutes later, he realizes that he pulled the gray tank valve, not the black tank valve, so in a panic, he turns off the water at the spigot and rushes to his trailer to check. NO DAMAGE !!! WHEW !!!! So he goes inside to see if there's any damage. Nope, none !!! Again, WHEW !!!!....

Now, let's consider that he's filled his black tank FULL!!!!! It's pressurized, because of his mistake (yup, he screwed up and opened the wrong valve while talking to the neighbor (distracted from his intended job). So, with the black tank pressurized (but not yet busted or split) no damage has been done, but the black tank contents are being pushed up the black tank flush nozzle all the way to the anti-siphon valve. (good thing he didn't replace it with a couple of 90 degree angle fitting, eh?).... So, as long as the anti-siphon valve is working properly, his hose is protected.... BUT, if the anti-siphon valve is leaking (allowing black tank contents to back flow) his "dual purpose hose" is going to have "gunky poo" trickling from that leaking valve down into the hose. Will he see it in time? Who knows.....

Imagine now, he pulls the black tank valve, empties his black tank with a "gush" as the pressure is relieved, and then decides to disconnect that hose and fill his fresh water tank for the trip home.

YUP, you guessed it, when he sticks that hose end into the fresh water gravity fill, turns on the campground spigot and starts filling the tank, I'll let you guess what flows into his "used to be sanitary" fresh water tank.....

So, in summary, if the question is: Why not connect the outside shower faucet to a hose and use that to flush the black tank? Now you've got one reason: It's possible to contaminate your RV water system if things don't go right......

If you've ever had an intestinal e-coli infection, you'll never want another one, and if you can prevent your family from getting an infection, it's worth the effort to protect your water system by not taking the chance......

Just my thoughts on why we ought to "respect" the black tank, the black tank flush system and not "mix and match" hoses used for flushing the black tank and providing fresh water for consumption..... Your views may differ, and if they do, that may be a good reason for not loaning camping equipment to people we don't know.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #15
Desert185

Good example. I have a dedicated flush hose for just that reason. I can't even trust the spigot near the dump station to be cootie free, and sometimes that water is not potable. I also have a dedicated water pressure reducer for that hose.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
CWSWine

If that does happen and forces the black tank water backing trough my 20 foot outside shower hose couldn't back up though my 15 or 25 foot connection to the camp ground water system also. I guess you won't want to use a y at the camp ground connection either for both fresh water and black water tank hook up.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #17
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Good example. I have a dedicated flush hose for just that reason.
Me too. A black expandable 25 foot hose with stop cock is dedicated to my black tank rinse. A small black Rubbermaid tote to store it in completes the package.

It's amazing how many times this past season that someone adjacent to me at a CG dump station would ask me about these expandable hoses. They work well for a specific purpose such as a black tank rinse, I tell them. If heavy duty purpose is required from a hose, I'll suggest a traditional, crush and scrape-resistant, polymer design.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #18
canesfan

I too carry a separate hose for flushing the black tank. Nothing fancy, it's just an old one I've accumulated over the years from the new hoses they give you when you buy a new RV. Keep it separate from everything else and only use it for that. Also have a pressure regulator and anti-siphon valve for the same purpose.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #19
michael_h

I shake/rock my trailer side to side a little while I have the BWF hooked up with my sewer only hose . . . . sometimes more stuff comes out
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #20
srvnt

I shake it a little too. Every bit helps.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank