Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
AW_rver

A/C stopped cooling on a 4 year old RV

Hello everyone,

This may sound like a repeating question but I haven't quite found an exact similar issue. I have a Keystone Springdale RV, 2013 model. A/C is Dometic 457915. RV is parked permanently in a club and used as a vacation home, so it only gets shore power. The A/C was working well on 4 hot summers, then last month just stopped cooling all of a sudden. Fan works fine, compressor kicks in and works continuously when the fan is on, but not cooling. So far I did the following:
-cleaned filter, coils, and any other debris from roof unit.
-checked run capacitor and it works fine (there is not start capacitor on this unit).
-trailer shore power is 124 volts (too high?).
-touched the compressor and lines- compressor vibrates and runs very hot (I'm not sure if that's normal).
-I can't see any sign of a leak anywhere on the roof, but I'm not sure whether to look for oil, residue, etc.

I am fully aware that a new unit will solve all the problems but I am reaching out to see whether any of you can think of something that I missed that can save me from a very expensive replacement cost.

Much appreciated!
AW_rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
jw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW_rver View Post
Hello everyone,

This may sound like a repeating question but I haven't quite found an exact similar issue. I have a Keystone Springdale RV, 2013 model. A/C is Dometic 457915. RV is parked permanently in a club and used as a vacation home, so it only gets shore power. The A/C was working well on 4 hot summers, then last month just stopped cooling all of a sudden. Fan works fine, compressor kicks in and works continuously when the fan is on, but not cooling. So far I did the following:
-cleaned filter, coils, and any other debris from roof unit.
-checked run capacitor and it works fine (there is not start capacitor on this unit).
-trailer shore power is 124 volts (too high?).
-touched the compressor and lines- compressor vibrates and runs very hot (I'm not sure if that's normal).
-I can't see any sign of a leak anywhere on the roof, but I'm not sure whether to look for oil, residue, etc.

I am fully aware that a new unit will solve all the problems but I am reaching out to see whether any of you can think of something that I missed that can save me from a very expensive replacement cost.

Much appreciated!
Mine died after one year. Freon leaked out. These are sealed units so you cannot add freon back in. Time for a new unit.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

2014 Cougar 327RES
2011 F-250 4x4 6.7L
jw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
tommy_z

Hot compressor sounds like no freon. Or a seized compressor, but that should pop the breaker.

I've heard all these RV units are sealed systems, and never read one story of someone retrofitting the connections to check/fill. When I picked up my trailer last year, I saw a stack of units next to the dumpster. Seems like a real waste at $1000 a pop.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, dometic, not cooling