Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
charliecwalker

Brand New Passport Leaks

Three weeks ago, I purchased my first travel trailer, a 2016 Passport 2920BH. While on our first trip, I noticed water had leaked into the front storage compartment and the outside kitchen compartment. Has anyone else had similar problems with a brand new Passport unit? I called the dealer and a representative in the service department suggested that I bend the tabs on the locks to make the seal tighter. I did that and upon checking the compartments this afternoon, I again found puddles of water in all the storage compartments.

I've read several posts on fixing leaks similar to these, but I don't think I should have to do perform a repair on a brand new unit.

Any suggestions? Dealer is about 2 hours away, but I'm thinking that my best bet is to return it and have the leaks fixed.
charliecwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
slow

I had water coming in to my under bed storage compartment from the cargo door top hinge extrusion. The cargo door frame has an extrusion that acts as the door hinge attached to the underside of the top portion of the cargo door frame that rests against the sidewall. Water collected on the top of the hinge extrusion and seeped into my baggage compartment. The fix was to place a bead of silicone along the joint made by the horizontal top surface of the hinge extrusion and the lower vertical surface of the door frame.

If this does not make any sense let me know and I can take and post a picture tomorrow in daylight.

BTW: The lip on the door frame would most likely not allow water into the baggage area even with a loose seal unless you were in motion.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

welcome to the forum

I would take it in. Your under warranty, and it's up to, the dealer to diagnose and repair the issue. FWIW we don't test compartment door seals as a routine part of a PDI, and I don't know of any dealers that do. I have seen this issue in all price ranges of RV's so it's not necessarily a passport or Keystone issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I had water coming in to my under bed storage compartment from the cargo door top hinge extrusion. The cargo door frame has an extrusion that acts as the door hinge attached to the underside of the top portion of the cargo door frame that rests against the sidewall. Water collected on the top of the hinge extrusion and seeped into my baggage compartment. The fix was to place a bead of silicone along the joint made by the horizontal top surface of the hinge extrusion and the lower vertical surface of the door frame.

If this does not make any sense let me know and I can take and post a picture tomorrow in daylight.

BTW: The lip on the door frame would most likely not allow water into the baggage area even with a loose seal unless you were in motion.
I have hadfront ccompartment leak and was same top hinge problem as ddescribed above. Same solution. I fixed myself using caulk (thin bead neatly) along top of hinge where it meets door opening top molding. Hose tested when done and no further leaks.
My outside kitchen door leaked to but this was due to the exterior frame installed with too much gap alongower edge making the weather strip to not get full seal. Had to install new door frame assembly and make sure the bottom edge was pushed up 1/4 inch or so from where the previous lower edge was installed. Never leaked again.
I fixed both myself and dealer provided parts under warranty. I trust myself better than my dealer repair facility. That's just me. I'm too anal retenative.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:46 AM   #5
charliecwalker

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I think I understand what you did, but a picture would be great.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
Tbos

I had a one time leak in my front storage on my TT. Dealer put a new seal on it and have not had the issue again. You might try crawling into the storage and have someone hit it with a hose to help you find the origin of the leak. Good luck.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
................... You might try crawling into the storage and have someone hit it with a hose to help you find the origin of the leak. Good luck.
That is what I did!
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
charliecwalker

Quote:
That is what I did!
Is there a particular type of silicone that I should use?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Any quality silicone will work, just clean the surfaces good. We use denatured alcohol.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
slow

Hope this helps.

BTW: I use marine clear silicone. Seems to adhere better after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 05-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
charliecwalker

Thank you very much

Old 05-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #12
cfd123

Just had a lot of rain here and had water in the rear compartment of our month old 2017 2810bh. I will be putting silicone on the top of the hinge. Looked to me like that was the cause, went over the hinge, down the backside of the door and into the compartment.

cfd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
charliecwalker

Did that work for you? Seems to have worked for me.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
cfd123

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecwalker View Post
Did that work for you? Seems to have worked for me.

Yes it did. We have had some very heavy rain and no problems after sealing it up.

cfd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #15
canesfan

Quote:

Hope this helps.

BTW: I use marine clear silicone. Seems to adhere better after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.

That ^ has to be the neatest caulk job I have ever seen. I did mine yesterday. I hate caulking. I cut the tip too small to begin with, figured smaller the better, easier to control. Well, I may or may not have gotten enough on there to do the job. We'll see as it poured overnight. At least I learned the stick your finger in soapy water to smooth it over trick. Worked very well. Whole job, both doors, only took 1 beer. I'd post a picture but you all would probably laugh. Might need to peel it off, cut the tip the next notch bigger, and try again.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #16
slow

Comes with practice.

That one was freehand, but tricks to get a clean bead are: use electrician's tape to define the edges and use your finger very soon after applying the silicone or caulking to smooth out the bead to the edge of the tape. Then peel off the tape as soon as you are done smoothing it out.

BTW: The other side did not work out as well for me, LOL.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 06-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
canesfan

Thanks for the tips! I had read about using tape, but that seemed to be more trouble than it's worth, but I may try it sometime when I'm more ambitious.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #18
lawdog130

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the picture! Two of my storage areas were getting water inside. I just applied silicone as you did and no more leaks!

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Down and dirty quick- we lick our finger to smooth the bead, and then clean our finger tip with a rag.

DO NOT do this if your working with Sika Flex.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

A "wet finger" either with spit or Vaseline works well to smooth a silicone bead. There is a tool designed to do the job. I made many of them myself from a disposable plastic putty knife, by using a razor blade to cut off a corner at a 45 degree angle. The size of the silicone bead varies by how much of the corner you cut off.

Or, you can buy the "handy tool" at most hardware stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Homax-5860-2-...V1WPTMDXVTD6YY

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, storage compartment leaks, storage door leaks