Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Steve S

Chalky roof?

I was replacing a roof vent last week and I noticed that the bottom of my shoes were covered in a dusty chalky type of stuff. I've never noticed this before and after the vent I washed the trailer. I haven't been up there since as it's been raining so I'm not too sure if it's still there
I know there's a thread about this here but I can't do a search from my tablet Any ideas as to what this is and what I should do about it?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

EDPM roofs will get chalky over time. Nothing to be losing lots of sleep over IMO.

Next clear dry couple of days, wash it and treat it. There are commercial products made for roof treatmemts. IIRC a few members have posted the formula to use as a cleaner on roofs. I don't remember off the top of my head, and since I'm at work on my phone, linking is a task. If no one does before I get home I will add it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
EDPM roofs will get chalky over time. Nothing to be losing lots of sleep over IMO.

Next clear dry couple of days, wash it and treat it. There are commercial products made for roof treatmemts. IIRC a few members have posted the formula to use as a cleaner on roofs. I don't remember off the top of my head, and since I'm at work on my phone, linking is a task. If no one does before I get home I will add it.
Thanks, I wasn't too sure if it was normal or not. I powerwashed the roof with a cleaner that I used on my last trailer but not for the same reason.
I guess a treatment will be my next step.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
instymp

I wouldn't power-wash them. It may be OK but not that I am aware of. I follow the manufacturers suggestions & even use their product. Chalky is what they do.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
dirt33

Every 3 months, I clean my roof with Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner, using a sponge mop to scrub it in. Rinse off, and then apply Dicor Rubber Roof Protectant, using the same sponge mop to evenly apply the Protectant. Looks super clean once done. Doing it every three months, the roof isn't very dirty at all. But, I like to do it to keep it as clean as possible. (Note, the sides of the trailer will get dirty/white streaks when rinsing off the roof. I try to keep the sides rinsed off as I am going, however, the trailer absolutely needs a bath once the roof is done. I usually knock it all out in one day, takes maybe 2 hours or so to do to the roof and then wash the trailer. I would never leave the "roof streaks" on the sides of the trailer for more than a day before washing them off)

Some people use blue Dawn dish soap instead of the more expensive "RV" roof cleaning chemicals.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
Every 3 months, I clean my roof with Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner, using a sponge mop to scrub it in. Rinse off, and then apply Dicor Rubber Roof Protectant, using the same sponge mop to evenly apply the Protectant. Looks super clean once done. Doing it every three months, the roof isn't very dirty at all. But, I like to do it to keep it as clean as possible. (Note, the sides of the trailer will get dirty/white streaks when rinsing off the roof. I try to keep the sides rinsed off as I am going, however, the trailer absolutely needs a bath once the roof is done. I usually knock it all out in one day, takes maybe 2 hours or so to do to the roof and then wash the trailer. I would never leave the "roof streaks" on the sides of the trailer for more than a day before washing them off)

Some people use blue Dawn dish soap instead of the more expensive "RV" roof cleaning chemicals.
Hi and thanks for the reply After you've applied the Dicor Rubber Roof Protectant does it make the water bead?
Old 04-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I use the Dicor stuff too. Mainly because I get a good price on it. To answer your question, I can't say I've seen water bead up, but I'm not normally looking.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
Steve S

I'll have to give it a try and see how it works So I gather that sponging it on is the best way compared to a mop correct?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes. Sponge is better.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
dirt33

Hello Steve. I would agree with chuckster that I couldn't really say if the water beads up or not. By the time I am finished, the Protectant is smoothly applied and pretty much dry, and I never really get up there and look at it again until the next time (or, if I do have to look on the roof for any reason, I guess I just haven't done it when there was any rain).

The roof on my trailer was fairly dirty when I bought it. Not terribly bad, but I could tell that the roof hadn't been cleaned/treated as often as it should have. So, my first cleaning made a very noticeable improvement. Subsequent cleanings have certainly turned up some dirt in the "rinse off" water, but, not really very much, given that I clean it every 3 months. I will never be able to get the roof to look as good as new, as there are some small black spots from it not being cleaned frequently by the previous owner. But, it is in "fair to good" condition overall, and it certainly will remain so for as long as I own it.
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote