Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
ljp

Battery storage/charging

Any reason why batteries can't be stored in the basement of a home?

We are in Minnesota and have a detached garage that is not insulated. I moved the battery into the basement believing it was alright and better for the battery. I suspect safety/fire issues are the reason a battery should not be on trickle charge in the basement. Any other reasons?

If I move the battery into the garage and keep it on a trickle charge could the (continual cold) have a negative impact on the battery?
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

When I lived in the tundra (NNE Ohio) I removed the camper and boat batteries. Kept them in the unheated garage on trickle continuously. I think they lasted longer in the basement and just put the trickle on the 1st week of every month and last week before installing them.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Any reason why batteries can't be stored in the basement of a home?

If I move the battery into the garage and keep it on a trickle charge could the (continual cold) have a negative impact on the battery?
If the batteries are not being charged, I don't see any reason why they can't simply be stored in your home's basement. At one time, there was a concern about keeping the battery on a bare cement/concrete floor. However, with today's battery construction and composition, there is no problem about placing a battery on a bare concrete floor.

If they are going to be placed on a charger, I would move them into the garage and place them on a trickle charger. If they are kept fully charged, there is no concern about them freezing. I would place them on plywood or something similar.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
michael_h

the only real concern I might have is the risks from hydrogen gas buildup in the basement formed from led acid battery's on constant charge if something may go wrong with the trickle charger.

Garage Storage Note*
At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature drops to approximately -16 degrees F. When a battery is fully charged the electrolyte will not freeze until the temperature drops to approximately -92 degrees F.
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
bsmith0404

When I lived in Wisconsin and Wyoming I always stored my batteries in the basement because I felt the constant mild temps were better for the battery than the extreme cold temps they could be exposed to. The previous info provided about the freezing concerns is true as well. As for storing on concrete vs another material such as a board, batteries used to be cased in rubber, concrete has conductive properties. Rubber is porous and the battery could actually drain the electrolyte and the charge, so people would store them on non/less conductive materials such as wood. That is no longer a concern. If I were in your shoes, I'd put them in the basement on a battery tender and put a reminder on the calendar to check the electrolyte level on the first of each month.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:54 AM   #6
old timer

I would put mine in the basement also. No need to worry about the gas from the battery blowing up the house. A Battery Tender doesn't charge a battery as fast as a regular charger because it doesn't boil the electrolyte so no gas. I would put it on the board just to keep it off the cold concrete.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote