Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
mazboy123

replacing brakes on 5th wheel

when brakes are replaced do you usually get just the pads or the whole brake assembly? and if the whole assembly do you get the bearings/seals replaced at the same time????? what about the drums?

I have a 16K 5th wheel. just wondering.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I prefer to get a "loaded" backing plate. They will have new springs, shoes and magnet. Unless the drum or bearings show unusual wear or damage I would re use them. Don't reuse the grease seal and make sure you order the right size and they are right and left handed. Measure the diameter of the drum and the width of the shoe.

Replacing the entire backing plate insures new components, takes less time than rebuilding. When you reconnect the wires it doesn't matter which wire to which, just make sure they are connected good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Most RV's use either 10x2.25" brake shoes (smaller trailers) or 12x2" shoes (most likely what yours uses).

E-trailer sells the parts or the whole assembly. Here's "sort of" the way it breaks down:

Whole assembly ready to bolt onto your axle: $44.95
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brak...TRBK12E02.html

Brake Pads ($27.95) and magnet ($18.95) TOTAL: $46.90
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-.../BP04-150.html
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-.../BP01-110.html

So, without getting into quality or "one brand is better than" discussions, it's pretty much a wash in price as to whether you buy the individual shoes/magnet (and use your old hardware) or just buy the new assembly ready to install (and omit the "hassle of rebuilding")

As for bearings and races, if it were me, I'd buy new seals, clean, inspect and repack the bearings. If, when you disassemble your hubs and find a damaged bearing or race, NAPA and most auto parts stores have bearing sets available. Usual cost is about $6-7 for a bearing/race set. I wouldn't buy bearings unless you've got better than 50K miles on them or know they are damaged. Usually bearings will go better than 100K if cared for properly.

Good Luck !!!

ADDED: I see chuckster57 was posting the same time as me. It looks like we're pretty much in agreement

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 AM   #4
kguess

I watched a great utube video on changing the complete assembly last night, step by step. Looks simple just takes a few hours doing things 4 times.... ( 4 wheels)
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote