Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
flubyu

Leak after hard blowing rain

OK, had a 'small' issue this past weekend, after a hard, blowing rain the door side of the trailer was seeping water in where the wall meets the floor in the bath room(the worst) in the front bedroom (slight). I have never had this issue but I don't know that I have had it out in such a storm. I couldn't find anywhere above the floor that was wet. Do I have a roof leak or something else? I inspected the sealing along the lower edge of the trailer where the floor would be and all looks ok best I could tell. Thanks for any help.

2011 Bullet Premier 31BHPR
flubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
bobbecky

A couple years ago, we had a leak that happened every time it rained hard. Had a mobile tech come out to check it out, without finding a leak. I finally figured out it was coming from a separation of the butyl caulk from the exterior wall surface around a window. This was barely visible while standing on a ladder, don't think I could have gotten a sheet of paper in the space. Did not have the time to pull the window and replace the caulking tape, so I applied a small bead of silicone caulk around the edge of the window flange and the wall surface. Hasn't leaked since.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Hard wind can send rain sideways into spaces that under normal circumstances would remain dry. Since part of your leak was the bathroom, I would check the black tank vent cap. Although rare, I've seen the vents not stick up high enough to seal on the cap flange, and I've seen the flange itself fail. Knowing that water will travel across any space or gap, you may be inspecting lots of places on the roof.

If the trailer is still under warranty, I would let the dealer spend the time with a hose, if not then you might use a hose with a spray nozzle and attempt to duplicate the issue around all the components on the roof.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Only thing about leaks that is normal, water runs down unless forced under pressure. The leak can be roof or wall. Water flows inside wall, normal. Than comes out where floor meets wall. Look at roof, as said pipe vent,vent in bathroom, widows or doors for a place of water coming into the trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:35 AM   #5
flubyu

Thanks for everyones input. Sounds like I have work to do.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
flubyu

Well, I washed my Bullet tonight with the water hose and checked after and found no wet spots anywhere...guess I'll just keep a close eye on it and see what happens.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
slow

I had a similar issue on my 2015 23RB last month. The seal between the window in the door and the window frame failed and let water drip into the door cavity and then out the bottom of the door onto the floor. Re-sealing the window frame to the window and door solved the problem.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote