Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
skidooxman

Norcold fridge is warm on LP

Like it says, a 38 degree Norcold fridge on AC is warming up to 62 on LP within 2 hours. The freezer is still cold and holding its own. Any ideas? I see these fans but the unit is brand new, do I really need a fan?
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
dcg9381

Probably a flue or flame problem.
That is, heat from the LP gas isn't being allowed to escape the fridge - could be influenced by external fans (assuming you have them) or stuff in the flue of the LP gas vent. Make sure that hot air can escape and nothing has built a home in you RV.

Other likely suspect is an improperly adjusted flame - not enough heat. I'm assuming that it lights just fine and doesn't set fault codes. There are a few youtube videos on what to look for with a flame and how to adjust it.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
skidooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Probably a flue or flame problem.
That is, heat from the LP gas isn't being allowed to escape the fridge - could be influenced by external fans (assuming you have them) or stuff in the flue of the LP gas vent. Make sure that hot air can escape and nothing has built a home in you RV.

Other likely suspect is an improperly adjusted flame - not enough heat. I'm assuming that it lights just fine and doesn't set fault codes. There are a few youtube videos on what to look for with a flame and how to adjust it.

Yea I checked the flame and it was nice and blue. The unit is brand new, so I need to check to top opening to make sure it is clear. However the freezer is working great, so I dont know.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooxman View Post
Like it says, a 38 degree Norcold fridge on AC is warming up to 62 on LP within 2 hours. The freezer is still cold and holding its own. Any ideas? I see these fans but the unit is brand new, do I really need a fan?
You don't mention what trailer you have. If your fridge is in a slide-out the fan that cools the exhaust chamber may not be working. (not the right terminology but the one in the upper or lower outside vent) JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
skidooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
You don't mention what trailer you have. If your fridge is in a slide-out the fan that cools the exhaust chamber may not be working. (not the right terminology but the one in the upper or lower outside vent) JM2˘, Hank
yes its on a slide, 2016 fuzion TH
Old 09-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I am making the assumption that you have a two door refrigerator with the freezer above the refrigerator section. If you have a side by side, then in some models there is one cooling unit and on others there are two cooling units, so the following applies to a refrigerator with ONE cooling unit:

The absorption refrigerator functions using the same freezer/refrigerator system whether it is being operated on propane or electricity. The internal components that transfer the cold from the freezer to the refrigerator are the same in either power source. The only difference is that when operated in electric mode, the heat source to vaporize the gas mixture is a small heating element that is mounted to the side of the flame exhaust stack and when operated in the propane mode, there is a small flame (not much larger than a pilot light) that is centered in the exhaust stack. Above the flame is a diffuser that slows the heat and "spins" it to contact the sides of the stack. Then the heat escapes through the top of the stack and exits the trailer via the upper vent.

So, it would seem that either the propane flame not the correct size, the diffuser (which is hung in the exhaust stack) has been dislodged or the top of the exhaust stack is obstructed.

If the refrigerator operates properly on electricity, then the outer cooling system that directs air through the bottom vent and out the top vent is functional and is not causing the problem. ADDED: This is the part of the refrigerator cooling system where the fans are used. They DO NOT have any function on the propane/exhaust stack (that vaporizes the ammonia gas) and the fans only help flow air over the cooling coils to aid in condensing the ammonia. If the refrigerator functions properly on electricity, those fans are working properly. That part of the system is the same on gas or electricity.
I'd look first for an obstruction in the exhaust stack and secondly check the diffuser for proper location. If those look to be OK, then you may have a control board problem.

Otherwise, if the camper/refrigerator are under warranty, I wouldn't "tear into it" and risk voiding the warranty, I'd contact the dealer and "drag it in for service"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
gearhead

Like John said...I wouldn't go digging in it if it's in warranty.
I had a problem with our new Dometic. The dealer couldn't fix it. I found a Mom & Pop repair shop that was a Dometic authorized shop. They knew what they were doing and did it.
Try your dealer or call around your local repair shops to find an authorized Norcold shop.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
skidooxman

Thanks all, today I spoke with a tech from the dealer and they walked me through all the checks including the stack ballast. All is good. One thing we noted was I had 3 cases of beer in cardboard packages in the fridge, middle shelf. I took them out and switched over to LP. The temp held for 2 hours on LP fine, no issues. If that was the issue bc the air could not flow, then I'm going to kick myself. Hopefully it was, thanks again.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
gearhead

All right then. Just needed some air circulation I guess.
Try one of these. They're cheap, might help:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...f-switch/38134
Old 09-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

When you put the beer in the fridge was it room temp or cooled? If it was room temp, that's a massive amount of heat to remove by absorption.

Common mistake is thinking an RV fridge is going to make liquids cool as fast as the house refer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks all, today I spoke with a tech from the dealer and they walked me through all the checks including the stack ballast. All is good. One thing we noted was I had 3 cases of beer in cardboard packages in the fridge, middle shelf. I took them out and switched over to LP. The temp held for 2 hours on LP fine, no issues. If that was the issue bc the air could not flow, then I'm going to kick myself. Hopefully it was, thanks again.
One question? When the refrigerator was "38 degrees on AC", was the beer in the refrigerator? If it was, then that's not your problem. If, however, the beer was added AFTER the refrigerator was switched to propane, then it's likely that adding 3 cases of "room temperature liquid" to the refrigerator is what caused the internal temperature to increase significantly.

Please clarify. Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:31 AM   #12
gearhead

I try to put some frozen water bottles from the garage fishing fridge in the trailer fridge to help out and give it a bit of a head start.

You know that is one advantage to drinking bourbon...more room in the fridge; and the black tank.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #13
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
You know that is one advantage to drinking bourbon...more room in the fridge; and the black tank.
Change that to Scotch and I agree, 100%

-Brian
Old 09-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #14
bsmith0404

We had a similar problem once. The fridge was cold, we added a bunch of soda and water to the fridge that was warm, the temp was up to 62 quickly. We removed the warm drinks, let the fridge get caught up and slowly added drinks giving it time to cool everything down before we added the next group.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #15
Pull Toy

PLUS ONE!!! for Bourbon 4 cubes + 3 fingers + splash = HAPPY CAMPER!!!

In fact I stick the OLD CROW in the home freezer, then transfer it to camper fridge prior to launch (helps out with the ice supply if it's already cold).

I also suggest saving your "Simply" orange / lemonade / fruit punch / whatever else. They are rugged and kind of "square-ish" thus saving space. We freeze house water in them! When it's time to fire up the camper fridge, we stuff it with frozen H2O. You'd be amazed how much your RV fridge has in common with an ole' fashioned "Ice Box"! It chills in no time! When it's time to load food, we still stuff every spare inch with frozen bottles to keep things cold in transit.

For you "Pet People" when you defrost the bottles, your little friends have an endless supply of the water that they're used to. Less upset bowels, if you know what I mean....!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #16
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Change that to Scotch and I agree, 100%

-Brian

Yeah, I'll go along with that too. I ain't too particular.
Just no sloe gin please.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #17
SteveC7010

We dry camp at least 4 weeks a year in NY DEC parks that have no hookups so relying on the fridge (and water heater) in propane mode is our normal. Keeping things nice and cold in the fridge requires open space and paths for the air to circulate from the cooling fins down to the bottom and back up. So there are some basic principles that we go by. First, beverages always come out of their packaging before being placed in the fridge. That leaves space between the cans and bottles for that needed circulation. If they're room temp, only a six-pack or so goes in the fridge. Then, when we take a cold one, we replace it with a warm one. I occasionally shuffle stuff about in there to keep keep open air flow. Things like bacon, cheese, and other flat packaging can quickly block circulation. Stack 'em instead of spreading them out. When loading the fridge before the start of a trip, it's all (or nearly all) cold or frozen items. As pointed out, asking these little fridges to cool large amounts of anything is a stretch.

Last, unlike at home where we can spend time with the door open looking for or thinking about we want, letting all that nice cold air out of the RV fridge is not such a good thing. Open, grab, close.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yeah, I'll go along with that too. I ain't too particular.
Just no sloe gin please.
Sloe Gin and 7 is good stuff!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
skidooxman

Yea I give up, wasn't the problem. It still warmed up after an hour on LP, then I decided to run the generator. Still warmed up. Basically it works great parked on both, driving it doesn't work. I'm stumped. The rig sits 1 degree off level so that's not an issue.