Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Dustin40

LCI level up-external sensor error

Had some troubles with the LCI 6 point level up last trip out. Hopefully these pics work. Tight wires, a sharp corner, and 2500 miles.

I fixed it and it works now. I am hoping this will help anyone who finds themselves with this same problem.
Dustin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:40 AM   #2
avalanchesmyrnatn

I experienced the same error on my 2017 Avalanche 330GR after a 2800 mile trip. All threads I read on this error indicated the remote leveling sensor located in the rear center of the camper just behind the spare tire in the under belly. I did inspect the wires and plug but saw nothing obvious. I ordered and replaced the sensor (Amazon $160). Still same error, continuity checked the harness front to back but had some quirky readings. I called Lippert tech support and was told it was more than likely the control module located in the ceiling of the front storage compartment. Ordered and replaced it (Lippert $404.95 plus $7.94 shipping) but still the same error. I removed the wiring from the conduit on the harness side at the rear sensor and sure enough one of the wires was chaffed and corroded. So just some advise, remove the wiring from the conduit at the leveling sensor in the back a good 3-4 feet behind the plug and inspect closely. Mine was pinched or chaffed about two feet behind the plug. To repair the underbelly I used a 1x 6 and 3/4 inch #8 wood screws to mend the cuts that were made by the previous owner or RV repair facility. As you can see in the pictures they used old window trim 3/4 inch thick with 3 inch dry wall screws, hence the chaffed wire. I’m so glad there wasn’t a holding tank any where near this really poor attempt to hold up a cut underbelly. The part numbers; remote sensor 14022, control module (brain) 307272. Lippert Support (574) 537-8900. There is a 20% restocking fee to return a part to Lippert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Sensor.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	35529   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Brain.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	35530   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Plug.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	35531   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Pins.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	35532   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Board not Zoomed.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	35533  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Zoom of Screws.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	35534  
avalanchesmyrnatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
TNordine

Sensor location?

We were setting up in our camp spot today and got an error on the Lippert ground control 3.0 "external sensor error"
From my research so far it is either the leveling sensor in back , behind the axles or wiring to that sensor.

Problem is I can't find the sensor. The manual says it is 2 or 3 feet behind the rear axle mounted to a crossmember. Of course with all the plastic bottom I can't see anything and don't want to just start cutting holes. Anyone have a better idea where this sensor is located?

2021 Keystone Cougar 24RDS

Thanks!
TNordine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNordine View Post
We were setting up in our camp spot today and got an error on the Lippert ground control 3.0 "external sensor error"
From my research so far it is either the leveling sensor in back , behind the axles or wiring to that sensor.

Problem is I can't find the sensor. The manual says it is 2 or 3 feet behind the rear axle mounted to a crossmember. Of course with all the plastic bottom I can't see anything and don't want to just start cutting holes. Anyone have a better idea where this sensor is located?

2021 Keystone Cougar 24RDS

Thanks!
If you can remove the screws along the edge, or if it has nails just pop them off/out and replace with SS self tapping screws.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #5
bobbecky

Photos at the first post sure look like rodent damage. If the wires are repaired, the system may work again.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Photos at the first post sure look like rodent damage. If the wires are repaired, the system may work again.
Very likely.... Today's "low price bid" wiring is insulated with a "new fangled plastic" made from soy oil (rather than from petroleum oil).. To mice, rats and voles, it smells "just like food" and actually is a "form of rat trap bait" if you consider how it smells.... If it'll attract rats to a old fashioned rat trap, it'll attract them to chew through the plastic wire loom to get to "lunch".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote