Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
racin500

Inspect the 120v wires under your slides

Take some time to inspect your 120v cables under your slides. My 295TS Everest was only on the road 4 years (previous owners) and the 120v cables under my entertainment center slide wore through and were shorting on the frame. The breakers never popped even though it was shorting out. I thought I saw a spark last October the first time we used the Everest after we bought it. I looked all over but didn't see anything. First outing this year I got under the slide and found 3 bare spots. My 120v wires are attached to a long spring that stretches/retracts as the slide opens/closes. The wires are zip tied to the spring. There was a bare wire at each end and one in the middle of the spring. Opening and closing the slide had caused the spring to wear through the rubber and wire coating, exposing the wires. They are taped up in the photos but you get the idea. I have 2 circuits and it took about 1-2 hours to replace the wires.
The plastic protective wrap you see is around the 12v wiring. There was nothing on the 120v.

Wasn't sure what I would find inside the E. Pulled off the cover (3 screws) and was surprised to find 2 connectors that can be rewired. I was hoping not to fish wires to the outlets.

Box fastened to the frame is wired just like your home wiring.

Fastened back to the spring. I did use short pieces of plastic protector at each tie and near each end.

Closed the slide and looked for binding. All clear.
2007 Chevy 3500 6.6L Allison, Crew Cab, Dually, Long-bed, 4x4
2007 Everest 295TS
https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...116708&thumb=1
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
racin500

Closed the slide and looked for binding. All clear.
2007 Chevy 3500 6.6L Allison, Crew Cab, Dually, Long-bed, 4x4
2007 Everest 295TS
https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...116708&thumb=1
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote