Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
BirchyBoy

Would you take a vehicle with a potential fuel pump issue on a trip?

Here's my conundrum. We have a 2,200 mile trip planned to San Diego from Denver in June. There is an active recall on our '13 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The recall is for a part called a TIPM (totally integrated power module). Failure of this part can cause the fuel pump to shut down. Jeep does not have repair parts available and they won't until November. Our vehicle isn't showing any signs of the issue - hard starts, stalling when coming to a stop.

So, would you chance it or not? At best, there won't be any issues. At worst, we will be stranded with our 2 dogs. We do have roadside assistance through AAA as well as State Farm.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
GmaPaTime

Here's what I would attempt to do.

If the car is still under a manufactures warranty, talk to the dealer and either get them to provide you a comparable loaner for the trip or at least at a very reduced cost.

If out of warranty, and the above fails also, rent a vehicle. It's not worth having that on your mind when on vacation.

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPaTime View Post
Here's what I would attempt to do.

If the car is still under a manufactures warranty, talk to the dealer and either get them to provide you a comparable loaner for the trip or at least at a very reduced cost.

If out of warranty, and the above fails also, rent a vehicle. It's not worth having that on your mind when on vacation.

Steve
Good idea on the loaner. It's under manufacturers warranty, but I'm not sure if the dealer would go with that or not. Won't hurt to ask, though!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
GaryWT

The loaner is a good idea but if not possible, I would still go. Just because there is a recall, your Jeep might be fine. Just be sure you have towing for the trailer as well as the Jeep and enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #5
notanlines

Birchy, Steve's idea of a rental is a good idea also. The odds of a car dealership loaning you a Jeep is good in theory, but certainly a long shot.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I think a loaner all depends on how well you know the dealer and how much money you've spent with them. Since Chrysler is the one that makes/allows warranty repairs I doubt they would do that for you; the dealer might. He might let you take a used TV; maybe some sort of truck.

I've had a fuel pump go out on a trip before and I hated every minute of it. It was the first time I thought I would keep a vehicle past the bumper to bumper warranty expired and the last. I don't know what they say the module will do if it fails. I had a similar module issue on my first 5.7 hemi in an '04 Durango (first model year). When it failed (off and on) it would shut off fuel - not completely but enough to almost shut you down. The first time was on the freeway in Dallas and I was forced to find an exit (about 30mph) and a parking lot. I didn't know what it was at the time so cut it off and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Cranked it up and it didn't fail again on that trip. It did fail several other times until I just got rid of it. Had the same issue on another hemi in a pickup. Don't know which V8 you have but if it's the 5.7 this may be the same historical issue.

If you choose to take it make sure your trip plans are VERY flexible. You may wind up sitting somewhere for days. OR, you could ask the dealer to pull a module from a new vehicle for your truck and put yours in the new one.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think a loaner all depends on how well you know the dealer and how much money you've spent with them. Since Chrysler is the one that makes/allows warranty repairs I doubt they would do that for you; the dealer might. He might let you take a used TV; maybe some sort of truck.

I've had a fuel pump go out on a trip before and I hated every minute of it. It was the first time I thought I would keep a vehicle past the bumper to bumper warranty expired and the last. I don't know what they say the module will do if it fails. I had a similar module issue on my first 5.7 hemi in an '04 Durango (first model year). When it failed (off and on) it would shut off fuel - not completely but enough to almost shut you down. The first time was on the freeway in Dallas and I was forced to find an exit (about 30mph) and a parking lot. I didn't know what it was at the time so cut it off and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Cranked it up and it didn't fail again on that trip. It did fail several other times until I just got rid of it. Had the same issue on another hemi in a pickup. Don't know which V8 you have but if it's the 5.7 this may be the same historical issue.

If you choose to take it make sure your trip plans are VERY flexible. You may wind up sitting somewhere for days. OR, you could ask the dealer to pull a module from a new vehicle for your truck and put yours in the new one.....
Don't really know them at all. We bought this used about 3 months ago and have been back for a small warranty repair and oil change. I'm not certain the '14/'15 models use the same part, and I can't really see them putting a new/sellable unit out of commission, either. My concern with any rental is the ability to tow, or lack there of. Generally the rental contract will forbid it.

Funny (not really) story. I bought my SIL's '02 Blazer in February after having an inspection done. I had a lot of work done based on the inspection. 500 miles later the fuel pump failed and left me in the second-from-right lane on the interstate at the busiest time of the day. After pushing it off the road by myself and getting it towed, it was a fuel pump. The one major thing not inspected.

It didn't bother me; I'm pretty easy going. It would have been a different story with the wife and dogs with me.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 05-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
{tpc}

Is this vehicle only used as the tow vehicle? What happens if it breaks tomorrow? Would that stop you from driving it today?

I doubt I could cancel what is likely a fairly long planned trip. I'd take the risk. But since I know that I only have one vehicle, I'd be risking it every day anyways.

I'd also probably call whoever you have roadside with to inquire how it all works, with regards to your trailer. That way your better prepared. And I'd probably limit the amount of time(s) I shut the vehicle off if possible, until i reached the destination in both directions.

I wouldn't be worried about my wife. I know what she would say. Tow it to the closest dealer and trade it in on something that works..the day it broke down. YMMV
Old 05-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
The loaner is a good idea but if not possible, I would still go. Just because there is a recall, your Jeep might be fine. Just be sure you have towing for the trailer as well as the Jeep and enjoy.
Taking a vehicle that might breakdown 1000 miles into the trip for a recalled component that will not be available until November could be a costly mistake. Just imagine, Vehicle breaks down 1000 miles from home, it is towed to the nearest dealer and than you're told again, sorry we can't fix it until the part becomes available in November. Now what do you do. They may or may not give you a loaner at that location, but what about the trailer? That could get expensive!!! And, you need to get back to that dealer to get the vehicle when it does get fixed. Think about it!!!!
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #10
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Is this vehicle only used as the tow vehicle? What happens if it breaks tomorrow? Would that stop you from driving it today?

I doubt I could cancel what is likely a fairly long planned trip. I'd take the risk. But since I know that I only have one vehicle, I'd be risking it every day anyways.

I'd also probably call whoever you have roadside with to inquire how it all works, with regards to your trailer. That way your better prepared. And I'd probably limit the amount of time(s) I shut the vehicle off if possible, until i reached the destination in both directions.

I wouldn't be worried about my wife. I know what she would say. Tow it to the closest dealer and trade it in on something that works..the day it broke down. YMMV
No, this is my wife's DD. Mine isn't capable of towing the camper. She is pretty prudent. I had to convince her to trade in her other vehicle for this one!

I'm not sure how Jeep is handling the repairs outside of the recall. My guess is they are using the available supply of parts to repair known issues first, and then making any excess available to the recall pool. I'll have to ask the service writer if he know.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 05-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
GaryWT

Any vehicle can breakdown at anytime and part May or May not be available. Most recalls are based on some crazy number of 1 out of 1000 cars have an issue. The same item that is being recalled would be available, just not the corrected item so it would get repaired, just would still be on the recall list. How many millions of people do not bring their car in when there is a recall, my guess is more don't go than do go.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you have a pretty extensive trip planned so just think thru worst case scenarios and how you would overcome the obstacles. You also need to really look into the roadside assistance plans. When I bought my roadside assistance for the trailer I believe I looked at AAA and State Farm both and I think there were some pretty severe limitations on retrieving your RV.

How many miles are on your vehicle? It's a 2013 model and you've had no issues. On every new vehicle I've had that developed problems it happened in the first year or so....with the exception of one pickup that lost the tranny at 35k, just before the warranty expiration.

Until you received the recall info the vehicle was running fine and you would have taken it without a thought so apparently the vehicle seemed fine. I doubt anything has changed that; you just need to be prepared for whatever might happen if they do change.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sounds like you have a pretty extensive trip planned so just think thru worst case scenarios and how you would overcome the obstacles. You also need to really look into the roadside assistance plans. When I bought my roadside assistance for the trailer I believe I looked at AAA and State Farm both and I think there were some pretty severe limitations on retrieving your RV.

How many miles are on your vehicle? It's a 2013 model and you've had no issues. On every new vehicle I've had that developed problems it happened in the first year or so....with the exception of one pickup that lost the tranny at 35k, just before the warranty expiration.

Until you received the recall info the vehicle was running fine and you would have taken it without a thought so apparently the vehicle seemed fine. I doubt anything has changed that; you just need to be prepared for whatever might happen if they do change.
It has 25k; we bought it with 21k. It has been good except for its love of visiting the gas station. It's one of those things where it's the low percentages that my wife and I always seem to hit.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 05-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #14
BirchyBoy

The service writer just called regarding this issue. He said that he hasn't seen any '13 models with the issue that is affecting the '12 and older models. He said if it does go bad, Jeep will repair it with the current part number and my vehicle would still be slated for an upgrade whenever the new part is released. He said that he'd take the trip were he in my shoes.

I'm going to call State Farm and AAA to check on the travel trailer situation and then go from there. My wife is changing her tune and saying we're being old worry-wart farts for worrying about this.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 05-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
zuley

I just questioned our service manager about the recall and asked his opinion. His responce was to "drive on". We have yet to have one dragged in off the street as a result of the TIPM issue. In the unlikely event you do experience a break down while on route any Chrysler store will repair your vehicle and get you back on the road with an OE part. Myself, I would not hesitate to go.
Enjoy your trip.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #16
BirchyBoy

After much discussion last night, the trip is on. We're fortunate enough that my wife is on her summer break (she's a teacher) and I'm a teleworker. So, if things got to heck in a hand basket, we'll make the most of it and I'll work wherever I need to.

Of course, if our GC starts to exhibit any issues, things will change.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #17
koko

Our 2011 Durango had the issue you're talking about right at the same time we received the recall notice. It became hard to start and then it wouldn't start. We had it at the dealer addressing the fact that sometimes it wouldn't start when it wouldn't start at all. It sat at the dealer for two weeks, because the dealer had not received the temporary fix information from Chrysler. We saw the information on our notification from Chrysler and called the factory rep from Chrysler who contacted our dealer and instructed them on how to install an external relay to temporarily fix the problem. We've been running like this for five months now with no problems. You don't want it to happen to you, so you might get this temporary fix from your dealer. Chrysler is supposed to send another recall notice when they've figured it all out, and we will be taking it back to our dealer for the final fix.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #18
Ken / Claudia

Just thinking what I might do. My major break downs and failures with vehicles were never known about until I was stuck somewhere. In this case, what about buying the part factory or aftermarket and having it in case of a failure. Do not install it unless you need it. Take it back, if possible and refund it or sell it when the recall part comes in. Likely you will not have it fail but, what if it does and you need to camp at a dealers parking lot for how long? waiting for the recalled part.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #19
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Just thinking what I might do. My major break downs and failures with vehicles were never known about until I was stuck somewhere. In this case, what about buying the part factory or aftermarket and having it in case of a failure. Do not install it unless you need it. Take it back, if possible and refund it or sell it when the recall part comes in. Likely you will not have it fail but, what if it does and you need to camp at a dealers parking lot for how long? waiting for the recalled part.
That's a good idea. But, from my understanding, the part in question (TIPM) requires a dealer reflash upon installation.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 05-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #20
zuley

... and the part is worth $468.00 CDN. No dealer is going to allow you to purchase one on spec and return it once it is determined you did not require it.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote