Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 AM   #1
CO_Mom

Sealing roof - newbie question

Please forgive me if this is covered in another thread, and just point me there. I've been searching and reading all morning and can't quite find the answer I'm looking for!

We just purchased a 2007 Cougar 2 weeks ago. I got some Dicor self-leveling stuff, went around my roof vents, sunlight, etc. However, I want to make sure the seal at the front (cap) and back are good. Do I also use the same Dicor for these, or something else??

The back seam of the roof looks like it has a gutter type apparatus, and several dots of sealant, presumably over the screws. This part looks okay. This trailer is in good shape for its age, but I want to make doubly sure that we don't end up with any leaks or water damage.

There is also an area a foot or so from the back end (on the roof) where it looks like the end of the screw is visible under the membrane. It's not poking through (yet!!) but I imagine if I stepped on it by accident, it would.... LOL Should I deal with this, or just keep a close eye on it? If it pokes through, do I just apply Dicor, or do I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance!

Jill
CO_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Jill -

Dicor also makes the same kind of sealant for EPDM roofs but it is not "self leveling". This type won't spread out as much and it is intended for use on vertical surfaces. You can still use smaller amounts of the self-leveling type for smaller areas such as over the screws you referred to.

As for the screw or whatever it is that is protruding up to the membrane, I'd probably get some Eternabond tape and use that to put over the "screw" then apply a layer of Dicor over the tape. Make sure you clean any area before using both sealant or Eternabond. Better take care of this potential problem now before it does eventually poke through.

The joint or seal between the main roof and the caps can also be sealed with Dicor self leveling providing there isn't a steep slope where the two meet. If there is, use the other type or "regular" Dicor.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
CO_Mom

Thanks for the advice. I just looked up Eternabond tape on Amazon (keeping UPS in business in the first 2 weeks of RV ownership since we're 100 miles from an actual "town").

Is there a difference between the products - "Roof Seal" vs "Roof repair" vs "microsealant tape" ??

Despite my 9 years of higher education.... I feel the need for some more "schooling" !!

I'm so paranoid about this thing.... and we didn't spend nearly as much as a new one, but I lay awake and night and think about roof leaks, etc.
CO_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

The Eternabond tape that I was referring to is called RV-EMT Mini-roll tape. It comes in a 4 ft x 2" roll and costs around $15 I think. I have this in my toolbox - it's the right size, not that expensive and is good for patching small holes, rips or tears in your roof.

Eternabond is a type of microsealant tape - Dicor has a similar product but I wouldn't worry myself over these names. Dicor roof repair membrane is available at CW but comes in a long 25 ft roll and is either 6 or 12 inches wide ----- far too much for a small patch job and expensive.

You can also get a Patchit Roof Repair kit from CW for $38 (on sale) which includes a 9x10 inch EPDM rubber roof patch and a tube of lap sealant. This kit is the expensive way to go - especially if you already have a tube of the sealant.

If you've gone over your roof and checked all of the possible places where water might get in and applied fresh sealant to those that look a bit "suspicious", you should be fine. You can never apply too much sealant over things on the roof. In this case, more is better.

No need to get paranoid worrying about leaks and other problems. There is enough in life to worry about let alone an RV. Relax and think about all the fun and enjoyment you'll have with your RV. Sometimes, thinking is not good for a person.