Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
homer3

Cramping while driving

Ok, this might be a stupid question, however I have to find a solution. How many of you have a problem with right leg Hamstring wanting to cramp while on ling drives. Mine has been bothering me for a while when on ling treks. I need to find a solution. Can't make any head way if I have to pull over every 3 hours or so to do stretching exercises. Any suggestions. I don't want to use cruise control while driving thru heavy traffic.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 01-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Desert185

Drink more water.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Drink more water, eat bananas and move your seat around. Usually if you set it closer and higher it'll take the strain off of the hamstring. I also find it a nice change to move it back and down almost like a sports car setting. Just vary the position to change the strain on your muscles.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 01-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
notanlines

First, let's look at the "I don't want to pull over every three hours to stretch" statement. Sure you do. And the rest of us on the board want you to, also. As do your wife and children.....one more thing. Take the billfold out of your rear pocket and put it in the "vault" between the seats. That will probably do the most good for you......and take a break more than every three hours.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 01-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
First, let's look at the "I don't want to pull over every three hours to stretch" statement. Sure you do. And the rest of us on the board want you to, also. As do your wife and children.....one more thing. Take the billfold out of your rear pocket and put it in the "vault" between the seats. That will probably do the most good for you......and take a break more than every three hours.
Forgot about the billfold, if you still have that in your pocket, it will have an effect. First thing I do anytime I'm getting in a vehicle is pull it. It does make a difference. As for stopping every 3 hours or more often. I'm just getting into a good groove by that point and suddenly I start getting complaints about when are we stopping...someone always has to use the bathroom or get a drink or.......

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

If everything above fails ,try drinking tonic water. The quinine helps reduce cramping and the extra fluids makes you stop more frequently.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Like everybody else has said...I make sure my back pockets are empty, keep lots of water in a bottle, and I take my shoes off. Being able to flex your toes helps me, and if traffic is easy I have been known to use my left foot for a minute while I move my right leg.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
GaryWT

I use cruise control as much as I can. I know there are times that there is just too much traffic but if you hit a stretch that you can use it for a mile or half mile I put it on to move the leg and readjust. When not tow we go to Ohio, it is 817 miles and we try to do it in 12 hours. This means 2 stops and we get gas, food and use the facilities. So while driving I am always moving and readjusting, moving the seat etc as others have said.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #9
dm1401

The best solution to this for me was to set my power seat so that the front of it is lower than normal, I have power seats so it's easy, but if you don't or don't have that adjustment try a angled cushion or something like that. Good luck.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:49 AM   #10
crash

We stop every 3 hours or so to let them use the bathroom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	682.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	7775   Click image for larger version

Name:	371.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	7776  
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 AM   #11
wahoonc

In addition to the other suggestions... eat mustard when the cramp starts. Works every time.

FWIW I drive for a living, anything over 3 hours is too long without a break.

Aaron
Old 01-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #12
Desert185

Yep. The docs told us in the airline business to drink enough water to get out of the seat every three hours as a maximum. Two hours is better. The wife and I try to hit a rest stop each two hour interval, and I drink water 30-45 minutes beforehand.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Medical advice from the internet is completely "generalized" and never "specific to the aches and pains of the individual requestor", so with that said, you may not be having muscle cramps. Granted, the hamstring is on the opposite end of the leg from the foot, but Venous Stasis is a common ailment that occurs with all of us, especially as we get older (past 40). It occurs when the blood pools in the lower legs (usually from sitting for extended periods of time) and can cause muscular cramping as well as begin the formation of small blood clots (Deep Vein Thrombosis). The aging process causes the valves in the veins to not close completely and blood leaks back down the legs. When we sit for long periods of time and blood pools, it can form clots. The two "ailments", deep vein thrombosis (caused by venous stasis) and muscular cramping (sometimes caused by poor circulation) are often confused by any patient. The preventative measures for both are the same, frequent stretching and walking.

All airlines have cautionary messages in their onboard magazines that urge passengers to frequently move their feet, tighten and relax the muscles in their calves and to get up and walk about the cabin if the seat belt sign is off.

We all tend to "get in the groove" and keep driving past that "safe zone" where we should have stopped and walked around for a bit. Frequent stops to get out and walk don't really slow the trip significantly and they could just be the best way to keep out of the emergency room should a blood clot form, break loose and travel to the lungs (pulmonary embolism).

Along with good hydration, increased potassium (eating bananas) and wearing seat belts, frequent rest stops are really a great idea for any extended travel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
homer3

Is there any possibility that this might a nerve thing. I may not eat as many bananas as I should but I do eat them along with the daily dose of vitamins and other supplements. I always carry water with me while I'm driving, and probably drink more water than most people I know. My wallet is on left side. I will try removing it an see if that helps any.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 01-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

It's possible. The Sciatic nerve runs along the middle of the "butt cheek" (about where most wallets would sit) and nerve irritation can cause pain. Usually it doesn't cause cramping, but it could. Most often, cramping is caused by irritability in the muscle and is made worse by a chemical imbalance of sodium and potassium. Lack of adequate circulation in the legs from prolonged sitting often causes this chemical imbalance by not replacing the waste created by muscle movement with fresh nutrients from the blood.

No matter what the cause of the cramping, by admission, getting out and stretching relieves the problem, so stopping more frequently will prevent it from happening, or at least lessen the problem. The key, IMHO, is to find the time limits for sitting and then to stop BEFORE the pain/cramping starts. That's about the only way to really control it without having to "limp around the truck a few times"

ADDED: Please remember that any health related comment on the forum is based on "theory and generalities" and is certainly not specific to any individual. Any symptom can be caused by a vast number of different "ailments" and can be entirely unrelated to your specific condition. So, consider anything you read on this (or most forums) as "generally spoken comments" and not specific to your individual health related conditions. Only you and your healthcare provider are able to form specific goals and treatments for your particular problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #16
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
In addition to the other suggestions... eat mustard when the cramp starts. Works every time.

FWIW I drive for a living, anything over 3 hours is too long without a break.

Aaron
I was thinking mustard, when I get a cramp in bed thats first place i head to get a big mouth full of mustard. Well i head that once I can walk again..
As i have gotten older I cant drive much over 3 hours with stopping for my comfort, the wifes, the dogs and if we have the grandbabies with us we are going to be stopping a lot more but its OK. Works for me..
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
Old 01-23-2015, 05:00 AM   #17
tommyboy123

I'm 63 still playing senior softball outfeild do a lot of runnung out their. Last yr at World Series in Vegas cramped up bad one of my buds suggest Mustard and Pickel juice mixed it is The Miracle Cure for cramps. Take a jar with you next trip.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #18
hankaye

Howdy All;

One other Main Reason to get out of the TV every few hours is the danger
of DVT, Deep Vein Thrombosis.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dvt/facts.html
How many folks remember the reporter from NBC that died as a result of
DVT during the drive by the 3rd Armored to Baghdad? It was an incident
that brought DVT into a spotlight.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Go see your doctor! Leg cramps can be caused by many things including a blood clot. If a blood clot would bust loose it could cause a stroke or instant death, both are undesirable while driving.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy123 View Post
I'm 63 still playing senior softball outfeild do a lot of runnung out their. Last yr at World Series in Vegas cramped up bad one of my buds suggest Mustard and Pickel juice mixed it is The Miracle Cure for cramps. Take a jar with you next trip.
Mustard and pickle juice? Good grief! Mustard is to put on hot dogs and I can't think of use for pickle juice after all the pickles are gone. We dump it down the sink.

IF I were to take either one or both of these and had a leg cramp, I'd have to find a rest area and a toilet ASAP. Getting out of the truck and running to the toilet would be enough to get rid of the cramp. So maybe there is something to be said for this concoction after all.

I am also wondering what would happen when we cross the border from Canada into the US when asked at Customs, "What are you bringing in the way of food?" and I tell the guy or gal ----"Just a jar of mustard and pickle juice for leg cramps, sir." I can just imagine his response......"Pull over here, sir. We need to do an inspection".

I think I'll stop often, get out and walk around. If there is a hot dog stand nearby..... well, I might just get me one of those with plenty of mustard!
Closed Thread