Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Feetwet20

Brake Controller

Purchasing a 2015 Cougar 29RBKWE for the first time. Need to know what brake controllers are the best (not necessarily cheapest). I have heard good things about the Prodigy P2 and 3. Also, I heard some dealers will only install brakes on one axle instead of both. Is that something they typically do or is it based on how my particular trailer comes from the factory? Thanks!
Feetwet20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
theeyres

Pretty sure the brakes have nothing to do with the dealer...they come from the factory and are on all four wheels. I don't think you can beat the Prodigy controllers. I switched to them years ago and have no after thoughts. If you get it set right, you forget about it, and it just works. No real difference between 2 & 3, just the way the display works.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

The dealer has nothing to do with how many axles have brakes, that is decided at the factory. Prodigy is the best IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
ImTravis

Ive been using the prodigy 3 two years now and love it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 11-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #5
buckeyebobhockingcamper

prodigy p2 would be my choice,ive had one for 6 years and love it!!no jerking in the parking lots or in slow stop and go traffic.set it and forget it.
buckeyebobhockingcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
Quad

Any Prodigy Brake controller is going to work great. I do like and use the P3 however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Desert185

I have a Tekonsha controller, but it isn't a Prodigy. Bought it before I started towing a 5er. Am I missing out on some feature that I need? The one I have works...perhaps there's something I don't know. Educate me...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
ImTravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I have a Tekonsha controller, but it isn't a Prodigy. Bought it before I started towing a 5er. Am I missing out on some feature that I need? The one I have works...perhaps there's something I don't know. Educate me...
If you have one that works for you, then I'd not replace it. I went with the P3 because I had no brake controller, and I liked the features (display and controls) on the P3 over the P2.

I recently bought a new truck and the dealer installed a Draw-Tite brake controller in it, I went and picked up another P3 and replaced it, as I've used it before and prefer it over the Draw-Tite controls..
Old 11-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Brake Controller

The biggest advantage to the prodigy is there is no pendulum to adjust and the prodigy doesn't care how far tilted it is. Just has to be mounted so the unit is parallel to the TV body.

And I'm not sure about the new prodigy, but on mine you can lock out the brake control at the unit for backing up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

As has been stated, the brakes come from the factory. I'm also for the Prodigy controllers; P2 or P3 either one are very good.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
Feetwet20

I can't find the "Prodigy" P3. I assumed it was the same as the Teknosha Prodigy P3... are they two different companies?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet20 View Post
I can't find the "Prodigy" P3. I assumed it was the same as the Teknosha Prodigy P3... are they two different companies?
They are the same. The company is Tekonsha, the model name is Prodigy P3 and the model number is 90195.

The P2 and P3 are functionally equivalent, but the P3 is easier to interpret the display / status than the P2 and therefore worth the few extra dollars IMO.

Although not difficult to set up with the generic harness, do not forget to also order the harness specific to your vehicle for about $13.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
Feetwet20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
They are the same. The company is Tekonsha, the model name is Prodigy P3 and the model number is 90195.

The P2 and P3 are functionally equivalent, but the P3 is easier to interpret the display / status than the P2 and therefore worth the few extra dollars IMO.

Although not difficult to set up with the generic harness, do not forget to also order the harness specific to your vehicle for about $13.
The dealer states he has the P3 in stock for $140 and can install for $75 in labor. Is that normal? I don't think I really have a choice because I have to have it installed before I leave for the first time, correct? I thought if I was buying the TT, at least they could install the P3 for free... or am I crazy?!
Old 11-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't believe you've indicated which tow vehicle you'll be using, so I can't tell you much about the installation. However, if you have a 7 pin connector at the rear of the truck already, installation is not much more than attaching it to the dash, plugging in the "vehicle specific adapter harness" and setting it up. Total time would be about 30 minutes if you're "mechanically inclined" and have the correct tools handy.

If you don't have a 7 pin connector at the rear of your truck, then installation of the brake controller will also include wiring the truck, so if the dealer is installing the 7 pin connector and wiring it as well, $75 is a pretty fair price. If he is just installing the P3, you can do ti yourself with parts from Amazon. The P3 is $135 and the vehicle specific harness adapter is $15.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
Feetwet20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't believe you've indicated which tow vehicle you'll be using, so I can't tell you much about the installation. However, if you have a 7 pin connector at the rear of the truck already, installation is not much more than attaching it to the dash, plugging in the "vehicle specific adapter harness" and setting it up. Total time would be about 30 minutes if you're "mechanically inclined" and have the correct tools handy.

If you don't have a 7 pin connector at the rear of your truck, then installation of the brake controller will also include wiring the truck, so if the dealer is installing the 7 pin connector and wiring it as well, $75 is a pretty fair price. If he is just installing the P3, you can do ti yourself with parts from Amazon. The P3 is $135 and the vehicle specific harness adapter is $15.

Good Luck

Thanks John. Yes, my truck is wired with the 7 pin connector in the rear. I know I could do it myself, however, I am picking the trailer up about 700+ miles away so I don't know if they will allow me to do it myself... is that normal? I'm kind of okay with paying them the $75 because they have already agreed to install my ProPride 3P Hitch for free! That in itself is worth the $75 from what I am reading! I don't want to haul it back home without either!

So if I can install the P3 myself, how do I know what to order? IWO, does a generic harness come with it or can I order it with the harness specific for my TV? BTW, my TV is a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE. Thanks!!
Old 11-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Check out this instruction sheet from Etrailer.com. It will give you more information than you'd ever need.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-0007-...e-Control.aspx

It looks like there's no "vehicle specific wiring harness. Apparently GM elected to no longer install the plug, but just leave the wires tucked up under the dash. Not difficult to do, but not quite as simple as "plug and play".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #17
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
And I'm not sure about the new prodigy, but on mine you can lock out the brake control at the unit for backing up.
Why...just wondering. I have never felt the need to lock out when backing up. It seems to work just fine going either direction.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

If you do a lot of correcting and braking. I can't say I've used it.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:58 AM   #19
wahoonc

I have a Prodigy... not sure which model, but it is around 15 years old and still works great! It was one of the first electronic brake controllers to hit the market and was THE BEST at the time. Not sure if the other manufacturers have caught up or not. Can't go wrong with the Prodigy though.

I have used mine for everything from 2500# utility trailers all the way up to a triple axle dual wheel lowboy that has a GVW of 60,000#. I bought extra mounts and moved it between trucks as needed.

As far as number of brakes on the trailer the factory installs and hopefully wires them. I have seen trailers where someone didn't wire up one pair of the four for some unknown reason. If it comes with four I want all four to work too.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote