Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
alien_scones

Norcold Freezer Cold, Fridge Not on Propane

Norcold model N821

The top freezer box and Fridge both run cold on AC, however the lower fridge is not cold on propane.

Is this possibly "fixable" or am I looking at a new fridge?

24 hours from warm on propane. The lower fridge box does not cool.

Thanks
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I initially read your question to say that the electric operation was faulty. On re-reading it, it sounds like your refrigerator works well on electric, but not on propane.

The refrigerator uses the same "cooling system" for propane or electric operation. The only difference is the "heat source" to "percolate" the ammonia refrigerant. I would suspect that the heat flue (chimney) needs to be cleaned. It's open at the bottom and there are several holes along the chimney which are good places for spiders, wasps or mud daubers to get in and build a blockage. Also, the propane flame that heats the ammonia is actually not much bigger than a conventional pilot light flame, so it is easy for it to get "sooted" and not operate properly. In your owner's manual should be a "maintenance cleaning" section that instructs how to access and clean the propane burner assembly and chimney. I'd do that first, see how it works and then go from there.

If it works on electric, it's not the evaporator/condenser/ammonia system.

Check for carbon buildup on the burner tube/burner tip, dirt or spider webs in the chimney and see if that helps.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold