Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
Flintlock

RV crash causes major backup on I-70 West near Dayton - tire blowout

Could be another China Bomb I keep reading about. Thankfully no one appears to be injured, you can imagine much worse!
I can both imagine and NOT imagine what the owners must feel like - thoughts to them if they are known to anyone.
I make NO judgements about whether they checked pressure, lug nuts etc etc, as we have no facts. Hopefully we can learn more.

I know that only complainers complain, but all this I am reading about Towmax is making me ready to just buy a set of Maxxis, I hear nothing bad about them, and putting them fresh on the 326SRX I pick up Wednesday and eating if I have to the I'm sure Towmax that will be shoed on them. Some will say yes, some will say no.
I love the comment in one post from a Moderator to the question - How Long WIll My Tires Last? - until they blow, or fail, or explode, or wear out - we can't predict the future !

Mark & Terry from South Eastern Indiana

2015 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab 8' Dually 6.7 PS
2006 HD FHLRSI
2004 Honda GPScape Rancher
2015 326SRX, TrailAir Tri-Glide, B&W Companion
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
Flintlock

http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/...70-west/ngyJ8/

Mark & Terry from South Eastern Indiana

2015 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab 8' Dually 6.7 PS
2006 HD FHLRSI
2004 Honda GPScape Rancher
2015 326SRX, TrailAir Tri-Glide, B&W Companion
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Interesting story. A couple thoughts came to mind as I read it, not just the tires. Looks like a pretty good sized RV for an suv, maybe had something to do with the tail wagging the dog. "far left lane", why when there are three other lanes? Sounds like speed was definitely a factor. We've all seen it and have had debates on this forum, slow down, get there safe, and enjoy the vacation part of the trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #4
Javi

Lucky folks..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
pjhansman

Probably won't be able to buff that out.....
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
hankaye

Howdy All;

After taking a closer look at the photos it appears that the reporter
got something backwards. From what I see in the top photo it would
appear that the incident happened in the RIGHT lane and migrated to
the LEFT lane as the cables are on the MEDIAN side of the Interstate.....
verify by looking at the traffic that is stopped and the skid mark from the
driver's side rear tire.
Good thing the reporter isn't going to testify in court on this one.

hankaye

PS. yea, don't think it will buff out ...

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

It is to easy to blame the tire without getting the investigation done first and unless your doing it many will never here or read about it. I could write a book on how it could have happened and defective tires would be listed as what to check. I still have the opinion that many tires fail due to age, weight , split valve stems, heat, inproper PSI. And yes there are defective tires. Glad that the folks were OK.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
Could be another China Bomb I keep reading about. Thankfully no one appears to be injured, you can imagine much worse!
I can both imagine and NOT imagine what the owners must feel like - thoughts to them if they are known to anyone.
I make NO judgements about whether they checked pressure, lug nuts etc etc, as we have no facts. Hopefully we can learn more.

I know that only complainers complain, but all this I am reading about Towmax is making me ready to just buy a set of Maxxis, I hear nothing bad about them, and putting them fresh on the 326SRX I pick up Wednesday and eating if I have to the I'm sure Towmax that will be shoed on them. Some will say yes, some will say no.
I love the comment in one post from a Moderator to the question - How Long WIll My Tires Last? - until they blow, or fail, or explode, or wear out - we can't predict the future !
Yeah go get the Maxxis. I did 1 short trip on the new 5th with blowmax on it. I have sold them for $60 each.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
CWtheMan

The Special Trailer (ST) tire is an age-out tire. ALL of them. Some brands may have a better reputation than others. A closer look at such brands may reveal they are not often used as OEM and get their best reputation as replacement tires. However, they all fail, even on lighter loaded RV trailers.

In the reference below a favorite replacement tire has failed. Why? Just because. I’m not going to post the forum this quote came from buit if you must know, send me a PM and I’ll give you the answer and link..

"I have a 10 year old KZ Frontier 28 foot travel trailer that I've had for 7 years now and in the last few years have had a blowout (or 2) on my annual long distance 800 mile trip to Florida from Texas. My tires are Maxxis M8008 (which I thought was the best) 205x75x14. These tires are < 3 years old when they blow."

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
pakuma

Speed

If he was in the number one lane (left lane) he probably was exceeding the speed rating on the tire, which can lead to separation and a blowout.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #11
gepaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The Special Trailer (ST) tire is an age-out tire. ALL of them. Some brands may have a better reputation than others. A closer look at such brands may reveal they are not often used as OEM and get their best reputation as replacement tires. However, they all fail, even on lighter loaded RV trailers.

In the reference below a favorite replacement tire has failed. Why? Just because. I’m not going to post the forum this quote came from buit if you must know, send me a PM and I’ll give you the answer and link..

"I have a 10 year old KZ Frontier 28 foot travel trailer that I've had for 7 years now and in the last few years have had a blowout (or 2) on my annual long distance 800 mile trip to Florida from Texas. My tires are Maxxis M8008 (which I thought was the best) 205x75x14. These tires are < 3 years old when they blow."

CW
Not familiar with the term "age-out tire". What does it mean?

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Age-out means the tires will be past their safe usage limit based on time (years) before the mileage is met. 5 years is the accepted standard. If you look at the sidewall there will be an oval with 4 digits. First two are the week and last two are the year of manufacture. Most often next to a DOT embossed and a set of characters.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
bsmith0404

Exactly, most times trailers do not see enough miles to actually wear the tread out. The tire still breaks down and loses abilities to handle loads each day of it's life. The age of the tire will determine when it is no longer safe based on ability to support a load vs. the tread of the tire wearing down.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:01 AM   #14
{tpc}

Are Trailer King tires, towmax as well? Just wondering because my tires say trailer king but do not say towmax (at least to the best of my knowledge) and all the reference I can see is that towmax makes "power king" tires.

In the end I cannot think they are any better though, just wondering.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
Pmedic4

Unhappy Information on accident - Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

After taking a closer look at the photos it appears that the reporter
got something backwards. From what I see in the top photo it would
appear that the incident happened in the RIGHT lane and migrated to
the LEFT lane as the cables are on the MEDIAN side of the Interstate.....
verify by looking at the traffic that is stopped and the skid mark from the
driver's side rear tire.
Good thing the reporter isn't going to testify in court on this one.

hankaye

PS. yea, don't think it will buff out ...
As a FF - Paramedic for many years, it was always amazing how often the information reported in the newspaper or on TV was incorrect for what happened on a scene. During our incident reviews, it was standard to check against the news and chuckle. Of course, we'd never give out information ourselves, so most likely the reporters had to attempt to figure out the scene after most the incident was changed.

Someone did point out, that is a fairly large TT for a SUV. We did that for awhile, and seriously, it was white knuckle driving for me, and I hated it and sold the TT after a couple of years of it sitting in the drive.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #16
thewhitehat

Exclamation

Heck, it doesn't have to be a tire problem at all. This could have been a sway problem or side-wind problem. I've seen a trailer flip over at low speed from a strong (and I mean STRONG) gust of wind that hit it broadside. That incident looked just like this one does. I've also experienced extreme shimmy by trying to go too fast and not having good sway control equipment, which ended up bending my L-bracket attached to the trailer frame and scaring me silly.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote