Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
windy2day

Bathroom sink water leak

I hope someone can help me out before I become even more frustrated and begin cutting things up.

To begin, I own a 2008 Keystone Everest 348R fifth wheel. 37 foot long, 4 slides, and a water leak to go with it. We love the Fiver and all it offers.

I first noticed a wet spot inside the main storage compartment on the door side of my fifth wheel. Directly above the small wet spot are water lines that run up into the camper and supply the bathroom. The wet spot is under an arc that is supported by a plastic tube holder and the water appears to be running down the line and then dripping from this low spot.

What confuses me on this is the fact that with the camper under water pressure and no faucets running, I have NO leak.

The bedroom has a stand alone sink and when I run that sink I have NO issues at all. I have concluded that the shower is not causing any problems and when the shower is run I have NO issues.

The sink in the bathroom is where the leak appears to be coming from.

I brought a bucket of water inside and poured it down the bathroom sink drain. NO leak at all so it doesn't appear to be on the drain side.

When I run the faucet in that bathroom, I get a leak. The pipes under the sink are dry all the way to the floor, so something is happening between the bathroom floor and the roof of the storage compartment.

There is no access to the pipes from inside the storage compartment so I am guessing that I am going to need to get out a saw and start cutting.

Does anyone have any advice for me on what may be leaaking? I contacted Keystone to get a water schematic and I was told they dont have anything and I need to take it to a repair shop (I'm a seasonal camper and I certainly have no plans of uprooting for this issue).

Is there a valvle or an anti-flow device that is only seeing water when I turn the faucet on?

I am confused and hope someone can guide me before I get crazy and start cutting.

New Development....

The leak is still ever-so-slight, but now it is more than just the bathroom sink.

This morning after using the shower and using the bedroom sink, I notice that I now have water in the storage compartment. I thought I had the problem narrowed down to the bathroom sink, but now I'm finding it's not just that sink.

My best guess at this point is that whatever is leaking is now getting worse and is something that requires immediate attention.

Does anyone know the best way for me to see what is going on between the camper floor and the top of the storage compartment?
windy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
jsmith948

I would take a look at the faucet. It could be leaking internally and the water is following the lines into your compartment. If it is the original fixture, they are not very well made. Can you see the water dripping when the faucet is on?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
windy2day

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked all the lines within the camper that I can access for water running down them. I can not find any wet pipes or leaks under the faucets. Whatever is goin on is happening in an area that is not exposed.

Perhaps there is a T-fitting behing the wall or under the floor that is leaking.

I'm just not sure where to begin cutting to find the plumbing.

Also, the fixtures are not the original ones. The original owner changed the bathroom and the bedroom faucets to single handle faucets when he purchased it in 2008.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
jsmith948

I mentioned the faucet because you said it only leaks when the faucet is on. It seems the leak has to be down stream of the valve?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
windy2day

Update - I discovered that the water leak was actually coming from the backside of the shower faucet. It was a very slow drip and was traveling behind the walls and then dripping into the storage compartment.

The fix - the fitting on the backside of the faucet for the hot water was loose. I tightened it up and the leak stopped. I put everything back together and am monitoring everything.

I now wish that I had taken off the (2) fittings and applied some teflon tape and re-tightened before I put everything together. I may have to do this at a later date.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Jager

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I've filed this away just in case . . .