Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
ingo.bauer

12v failing

Good morning all;

I have the following trouble with my Laredo 294RK. Anything power related 120 / 12 and solar were working fine until last Monday (2 days ago)

The systems work fine when plugged into a generator .... all 120v outlets and services tested and working ..... all 12v services tested and working .... The solar panels happily charging the batteries. no indication of any failed breakers or fuses.

When I disconnect the generator things seem fine .... the fridge light remains on AUTO and the radio display is lid and produces music when turned on ..... I can turn the LP hot water on and nothing happens .....

Turning any additional 12v devises on shuts down to whole system.

I can measure 13.5v on the batteries but nothing on the 12 v input side of the power box a WFCO 8955PEC

I can also measure 13.5v on the connection points from the battery to the trailer ....

As soon as I run the generator for a few minutes 12v will indicate its running fine when shore power is removed .....

I am not sure how to proceed ..... thinking about trimming everything back to one battery ... (currently have three) and start from there.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regard;

Ingo

It might be worth while mentioning that I had a kinked and damaged 7 pin trailer harness that is about to get fixed.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
dbrinklow

Have you checked the resetable breakers that are near the batteries?
It appears you have power at teh batteries but shortly after that there is none.
These are usually located on the wall close to the batteries.

Dean
2001 Honda Gold Wing (DH)
2000 Honda 650 GLX (DW)
dbrinklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
ingo.bauer

I found the problem. It was the copper looking pin in the picture that was not making a proper connection.

Name:   20140716_113909.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  44.7 KB
Old 07-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Glad you found your problem.

That "copper looking pin" is one of the terminals on a 12 VDC circuit breaker. They are prone to fail if they are installed in a wet or dirty environment. I carry a couple of spares and have had to replace them while camping. They cost about $5 each and it's good insurance to have an extra available rather than have to drag your RV back home.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Might want to consider carrying some extra crimp fittings and tools to install. I see those corrode a lot, even out here in fairly dry climate of Calif.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote