Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
davidjsimons

What I've learned after 1 1/2 years of camping.

I was recently camping in Kissimmee, Fl. While I was there, my neighbors were from Louisiana. The young couple had a 24' Jayco and a crew cab, short bed, 1/2 Pickup. On a couple of occasions I made an effort to be friendly and acknowledge his presence, only to be ignored on each occasion. I at first chalked it up to perhaps he was not paying much attention. When it came time for them to leave, I got a better feel for him. With me sitting outside, drinking my coffee, this guy not only worked his wife horribly while loading up, but he talked to her perhaps just as badly. The part that really just blew me away was when he hooked up the truck and trailer. He had the sway bars and spring bars, but opted to not use them and just put the in the bed of the truck. The rear of the truck sagged about five inches and the front axle was up. For as terribly as he questioned her intelligence, I could not help but think perhaps her biggest breach of common sense was to be getting in a truck with him. While I have met many kind and considerate people along the way, this guy was just an arrogant jerk. I've had people guide me on to my site in the dark, help me start a fire and just come over to just say hello, but never a person so inconsiderate, not only to me, but his own wife. Thank goodness my time on the road has taught me that this guy is the exception.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
I was recently camping in Kissimmee, Fl. While I was there, my neighbors were from Louisiana. The young couple had a 24' Jayco and a crew cab, short bed, 1/2 Pickup. On a couple of occasions I made an effort to be friendly and acknowledge his presence, only to be ignored on each occasion. I at first chalked it up to perhaps he was not paying much attention. When it came time for them to leave, I got a better feel for him. With me sitting outside, drinking my coffee, this guy not only worked his wife horribly while loading up, but he talked to her perhaps just as badly. The part that really just blew me away was when he hooked up the truck and trailer. He had the sway bars and spring bars, but opted to not use them and just put the in the bed of the truck. The rear of the truck sagged about five inches and the front axle was up. For as terribly as he questioned her intelligence, I could not help but think perhaps her biggest breach of common sense was to be getting in a truck with him. While I have met many kind and considerate people along the way, this guy was just an arrogant jerk. I've had people guide me on to my site in the dark, help me start a fire and just come over to just say hello, but never a person so inconsiderate, not only to me, but his own wife. Thank goodness my time on the road has taught me that this guy is the exception.
Buttholes... The world's full of 'em.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 AM   #3
DanAndJamie

He may have been waiting to put the bars on when he was on a flat surface. I have seen many people do this at the dump station.
DanAndJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
antiqfreq

Kindness and consideration for others goes a long way, but especially with your significant other.

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
GaryWT

I hate seeing this out in public can you imagine what it is like when they are home. It happens towards kids too. It is a shame.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
riceman

I am so sorry to hear that this jerk was from Louisiana. As we are too, please accept my apology and know that not all from Louisiana are that way!! We love visiting with others while camping, and my DH treats me like a queen!! Gotta give respect if you want respect!
riceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceman View Post
I am so sorry to hear that this jerk was from Louisiana. As we are too, please accept my apology and know that not all from Louisiana are that way!! We love visiting with others while camping, and my DH treats me like a queen!! Gotta give respect if you want respect!

I'm quite sure his behavior does not speak for your entire state. What folks that I have met from Louisiana have been nothing but cordial.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
LuvsPalmTrees

We have been camping for over 20 years and I have to say I think we may have met some of the nicest people. We have seen a jerk or two but I have to say most campers are very nice and considerate.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsPalmTrees View Post
We have been camping for over 20 years and I have to say I think we may have met some of the nicest people. We have seen a jerk or two but I have to say most campers are very nice and considerate.

I have to agree. Been camping with a fiver since '89 and have met some wonderful people. I've even had people come over and help guide me into a back in spot. The jerks are few and far between, and I have learned to ignore them. Child/spousal abuse is not acceptable and if I see it, I have no problem calling law enforcement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
LuvsPalmTrees

Same here. I would add animals in.

2013 Laredo 294RK (aka The Beast)
Chris (DH)
Molly the camping pooch
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #11
Triplespool

There is good and bad in everyone IMHO. Like a wolf and a sheep in a long battle. But only one will win.... It will be the one they feed.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
crash

We have meet some of our best friends in campground ,been lucky to only run across acouple jerks.And we dont stand for child or ANIMAL abuse I have been known to step in on afew occations
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

The top ten things I've learned through my years of camping:

10. Fuel will be 15 cents a gallon cheaper at the next three stations, but only if your tank is full from where you "thought" it was cheapest.

9. That shortcut through town would have saved time if you hadn't made that wrong turn.

8. The trailer will work "perfectly" (unless you forget to pack your tools).

7. The restaurant you promised the DW would be "right there" was really at the last exit.
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

6. Trailer tires never leak air (unless you forgot your compressor)

5. The last time you were at this campground, there was stacks of firewood, so you saved weight by not packing the chainsaw.

4. The neighbors you'd hoped wouldn't be at the same campground will just happen to walk by at suppertime.

3. The weatherman has been right about the weekend weather for the past 10 weekends, but this weekend he predicted clear skies and pleasant temps.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

2. Mosquitoes are never a problem (unless you forget the bug spray).

And the NUMBER ONE thing I've learned about camping is:
The campsite you really wanted, the one someone is "just now setting up in" would have been available if you hadn't taken the shortcut in #9.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS