Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
Chippewa93

Mold on awning

On rolled my awning and was surprised to find black mold spots. They can be wiped off, glad I caught of sooner than later. When I rolled it up 3 weeks ago it was dry. The only I can think of is maybe I didn't have it rolłed up tight enough ? Thoughts ?
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Rain water will "leak" into the ends of the awning no matter how tightly you roll it up. The best way to prevent mold is simply to use the awning. When it's out, it dries and when it's not used, it gets damp and grows 'stuff'. Go camping, keep the awning clean (as best you can) unroll it often so it will dry out and most of all, enjoy it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Rain water will "leak" into the ends of the awning no matter how tightly you roll it up. The best way to prevent mold is simply to use the awning. When it's out, it dries and when it's not used, it gets damp and grows 'stuff'. Go camping, keep the awning clean (as best you can) unroll it often so it will dry out and most of all, enjoy it.
Sounds like the best plan.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
buzzcop63

Living in the Willamette valley of Oregon we get a lot of rain and our trailers awning seems to grow lots of black on the bottom side and just look dirty, it is supposed to be white. Cleaning by hand is a real chore as is getting up high enough even when the awning is tilted down. Wife was cleaning floors with the Swiffer mop that has cleaning rags and solution that attach to its face, tried it and it just melted the dirt away! Long handle allows me to get the entire surface clean now.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Another "easy" way to clean the underside of the awning is to use the "ever-wonderful" Dawn and warm water solution and add a quarter cup of Clorox to a gallon of the soapy water. Open the awning, use a long handled "RV scrub brush" to spread the soap solution on the TOP of the awning. Roll it up for 20-30 minutes, unroll it and rinse.

When you apply soap to the top and roll it up, you'll "automatically" apply the soap to the bottom of the awning. Usually, just soaking will loosen the dirt/mold. If any brushing is needed, it's usually minimal and since the soap is already on the awning, there's no dripping onto your newly colored hair..... (did I really say that?????)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:34 AM   #6
therink

X2 what John said. Another thing I do when the camper is stored for long periods is open up and dry out the awning between rains. This has prevent mildew from forming.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
diamondjindustries

Mixture 1/4 Clorox, 1/4 vinegar, and 1/2 water mix in hand sprayer soak awing then roll up for 30 mins. Unroll and rinse off no scrubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
diamondjindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
GaryWT

I use Tilex, spray on, let sit, rinse. Works for me. I do like the stiffer method, might give it a try.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
michol02

Someone on one of these forums turned me on to this stuff. I found it at the hardware store.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	6418
I scrubbed it with dish detergent and Clorox to remove the stains and mold, then mixed according to directions(maybe a little extra on the stuff) in a 1 gallon sprayer, and applied a good coat on the awning. I rolled up the awning while it was still wet, so the stuff could get on both top and bottom sides, let it set for a few minutes, then rolled it back out and let it dry. I retreat it about every three months(I've been using this stuff for about 15 months) and I have never seen another mold spot, maybe a smashed bug now and then, but no mold, and the awning is usually wet every time I unroll it.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote