Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Luckybuck55

Question Noisy fridge

Got 2014 fuzion 342 has a humming noise that is driving me crazy does anyone else have same problem I can not hear good but it is real loud
Luckybuck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
therink

Is your fridge diagonally mounted or in a slide out? If so, your fridge is equipped with a thermostat operated vent fan that pulls the warm air to the upper outside vent.
It kicks on at around 90 degrees f but sometimes sooner if sun is hitting the fridge exterior side.
You will get used to it.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
hoffbrew

My 371 fridge does the same thing. Doesn't bother me too much but the DW cant stand it. Mine is on a slide out. I will pay attention to it this weekend when glamping. Temps will be in low 90's during day and seems to cool down to 60's at night.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Once you are out of warranty you might want to replace it with a quieter fan .... a computer fan would most likely work fine as long as the same or higher cfm and be much less noise.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Luckybuck55

The fridge is in the slide out does not have to be 90 outside does it at night as well
Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Javi

Check and make sure nothing is obstructing either of the vents... There should be one at the top and one at the bottom on the outside directly behind the fridge..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Luckybuck55

I checked saw nothing but a piece of plywood in top that covers half of top dealer said it was suppose to be there?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
BC Canada

Going to follow this. Our fridge is also in a slide and it's noisy as well.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

The fan is set to turn on when the rear of the fridge reaches a set temperature not necessarily dependent to outside temp, but of course it will run more often with higher ambient temps. You also are more aware of it at night when you are trying to enjoy the peace and quiet of camping.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Road-King

I am also a member of another RV forum. Several people on that forum have replaced the fans with quieter fans and a few have added computer fans that run all the time.

The problems seem to be the fans Dometic installs on the refrigerator are both loud and mounted to the frig box with out any vibration dampening.

I have ordered two 12 computer fans that I am going to mount behind the frig box, in the lower vent compartment and blowing up the back of the frig. I plan on wiring them to run when ever the frig is on. Others who have done this report that the OEM fans hardly ever turn on.

PS. Luckybuck55, that plywood is needed. It is a baffle that directs the flow of air up over your coils then out the upper vent.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
kreed61

We started having that problem this weekend. This was our third trip out in our 2014 Cougar. I don't think it's the fan. This refrigerator has been super quiet so far but we woke up Saturday morning and there was a definite buzz coming from it, we could hear it from the bedroom. This buzz does not go away like a fan noise would while cycling on and off for temperature control but instead is constant, always there, forever, it never cycled off! Sorry but it kind of drove be crazy this weekend. I could make the buzz go away by turning the refrigerator off but as soon as I turned it back on the buzz was back instantly. Sounds more like an electrical relay buzzing or something like that. I'm not a refrigeration tech nor electronics expert but my father was. I've watched and helped him work on many refrigerators, air-conditioning units, TV's, radios and just about any appliance you would have in your house. I see several people with the same problem and a couple of guys saying "fan" so this is just my two cents and I have an appointment scheduled at my dealer this Friday. The service tech there tried to diagnose it over the phone by saying "fan"and acted like he didn't want me to bring it in. Again, I am no expert but I've heard many electrical things that went "buzz" that my father could fix and it was usually a relay. Good luck to all of us!

kreed61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
Luckybuck55

Thumbs up

Keep me informed I got RV service coming to mine in June 28 I have already call Keystone about problem they said I had to pay service call and they would pay for anything else. It would cost a lot more to pull it 5 hrs back to dealer since I have it set up at beach for summer. I have been calling dealer to keep them informed. I hope you or I found out what's wrong
Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Luckybuck55

It should be covered under warranty . This is 2014 purchased in January 2014!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm wondering if it's dirt and moisture on the fan blades? Essentially, it's a square boxed fan (similar to a computer fan). If the blades get damp from high humidity or morning dew and there's a significant amount of dust, dirt or even pollen floating around in the air, the blades will catch it and can easily become unbalanced. When that happens, the fan will start to vibrate. Since they aren't mounted in any type of "vibration damper", that sound (maybe described as buzzing) will be transferred to the refrigerator framework, then into the RV.

Possibly take the back access cover off the top vent and see if you can reach inside and access the fan. If so, maybe a good shot of windex and some gentle wiping on the blades will make it (and you) happy......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
hoffbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm wondering if it's dirt and moisture on the fan blades? Essentially, it's a square boxed fan (similar to a computer fan). If the blades get damp from high humidity or morning dew and there's a significant amount of dust, dirt or even pollen floating around in the air, the blades will catch it and can easily become unbalanced. When that happens, the fan will start to vibrate. Since they aren't mounted in any type of "vibration damper", that sound (maybe described as buzzing) will be transferred to the refrigerator framework, then into the RV.

Possibly take the back access cover off the top vent and see if you can reach inside and access the fan. If so, maybe a good shot of windex and some gentle wiping on the blades will make it (and you) happy......
Sounds good, I will give it a try, thanks!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #16
kreed61

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

This makes sense and I'm going to give it a shot. I've only had the rig for three months with a total of 8 nights spent in it but every time I close the slides they are covered in massive amounts of dust and it gets pretty humid here in East Texas so this is a good possibility. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #17
Luckybuck55

I have looked inside can not see fan mine has been noisy from the beginning don't think dust is causing this!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
hankpage
Site Team

If it only makes the noise when on gas it could be the solenoid that hold the gas valve open ...... just thinking out-loud, Hank

"Got 2014 fuzion 342" Hmmm???? What kind of fridge do you have ... Helium or standard ammonia????
Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
Luckybuck55

On electric it is dometic
Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
kreed61

I shut mine off last night and went out today to check it. When I first fired it up it was quiet as could be for about 15 minutes and then started buzzing again. The fan started immediately when I started the unit up. I had the covers off outside and didn't see anything but could hear it outside also. It was running on gas but it doesn't make any difference if you switch to electric. I also can't see the fan to clean it so I didn't rule that out yet. How do I get to the fan? Upper or lower cover? Behind a coverplate somewhere?