Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Pursuit

Newbie Question - Leveling/Slide outs

We have a new Keystone Alpine that we have yet to spend any time in. Our camp opens May 1st.

After the winter, it was apparent that the 5er was not level. We had cribbed the frame, as we intend to stay permanently at the camp site. After reducing the cribbing, we used the auto level function. While not perfect, the leveling appeared functional until I noticed the rear tires off the ground. Had to manually adjust from there until achieving level. Not sure why auto level would leave the wheels off the ground.

I started with a fully charged battery (as shown on the Lippert level screen). Next, I attempted to bring out the slides, but they would not move! I have always been led to believe that shore power is not required to extend/retract slides as long as you had a fully charged battery.

What am I missing??? Thanks
Old 04-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Road-King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
While not perfect, the leveling appeared functional until I noticed the rear tires off the ground. Had to manually adjust from there until achieving level. Not sure why auto level would leave the wheels off the ground.
Were all 4 tires off the ground? I have not had mine long but it doesn't seem unusual for two tires to be off the ground, maybe even three. You can manually level you Alpine and reset "Your" level.

Quote:
Next, I attempted to bring out the slides, but they would not move! I have always been led to believe that shore power is not required to extend/retract slides as long as you had a fully charged battery.
I have extended my slides on battery alone. Because your level up seems to be working and they use the same hydraulic pump as your slides, first I would check the valves near the hydro pump. They need to be turned counter clockwise fully to operate the slides. If they are not the problem, your seals might be stuck to the sides of your Alpine. You could carefully use a plastic putty knife just to brake the grip. Then use baby power on the seals to keep them from sticking.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Pursuit

Update

Managed to get shore power to the trailer today with no luck on opening the slide outs.

Borrowed another 12 V battery, just in case the readings on my battery were false - didn't work.

Replaced three slide fuses and two in-line fuses and still no luck.

Looks like I need some warranty work done unless there are any other suggestions.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Road-King

Let us know what it turns out to be, something for me to keep a look out for.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Managed to get shore power to the trailer today with no luck on opening the slide outs.

Borrowed another 12 V battery, just in case the readings on my battery were false - didn't work.

Replaced three slide fuses and two in-line fuses and still no luck.

Looks like I need some warranty work done unless there are any other suggestions.

Thanks
Did slides ever work?
Do you activate slides with remote, manual switch or both? Did you try all methods?
OTHER 12 VDC devices all work?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Did slides ever work?
Do you activate slides with remote, manual switch or both? Did you try all methods?
OTHER 12 VDC devices all work?
We had the slides out (on battery power) late last fall when we brought the trailer to the site for the first time.

No remote, just switch to operate.

As we have no water as yet, have not tried water heater. Fridge is on and all lights working.

Recharged battery at home today (was 12.2, now 12.8) and will try again. Someone mentioned that my brushes may not be engaging my armature in the slides.....getting too technical for me.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
We had the slides out (on battery power) late last fall when we brought the trailer to the site for the first time.

As we have no water as yet, have not tried water heater. Fridge is on and all lights working.

Recharged battery at home today (was 12.2, now 12.8) and will try again. Someone mentioned that my brushes may not be engaging my armature in the slides.....getting too technical for me.
You don't by any chance have the touch screen control center, do you....
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
canesfan

Might be a bad switch, it's possible.

Another thought is there is a 12V auto reset breaker on the slides, it will be with a bunch of others usually near your battery and usually with red plastic caps over them. Looks like little black plastic blocks with two studs sticking out of each with wires attached. They tend to be undersized and I had to replace one once with a heavier one. Can be found at auto parts stores.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You don't by any chance have the touch screen control center, do you....
No, I do not have a touch screen control center.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
WaltBennett

From what you wrote I think you're planning on staying in one place for 6 months or so. If that's the case, I'd definitely use jacks, level-up or whatever along with cribbing and/or jack stands and a carpenter's level (on a non-carpeted floor area NOT in a slide) to get the main frame level and stable. Once that's done, put the slides out and see how much flex there is in them. This all depends on both framing and the slide mechanism. If there's a lot more 'bounce' in a slide than the center main frame area, I'd support the slide as well. You'll never achieve a completely solid floor, even with six or eight points of frame support, but you should be able to get something you like.

I lived in a 35' TT with no slides for four years in one spot. Added two jack stands to each side along with the built in front and back ones. The trailer still had a little flex, but not so much that it didn't feel solid.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:

Just curious, assume frig in on AC, all lights working (12VDC), connected to shore power then why are you taking battery home to charge? Converter should be charging battery and supplying 12VDC to coach?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Just curious, assume frig in on AC, all lights working (12VDC), connected to shore power then why are you taking battery home to charge? Converter should be charging battery and supplying 12VDC to coach?
Wanted to ensure it was taking a full charge......charger/volt meter at home.....
Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Road-King

Quote:
Someone mentioned that my brushes may not be engaging my armature in the slides.....getting too technical for me.
Are your slides not hydraulic? In my Alpine I have 3 slides, two are hydro and the bedroom slide is electric.

My hydraulic slides use the same motor and pump as the 6 point level-up system. If your slides are hydraulic and use the same motor and pump as your jacks, then it is not your brushes and/or armature. If they have a separate motor and pump, yes that could be it. Do you hear any sound at all when you press the slide switch? If your slides are all electric, yes it could be your brushes, but I would doubt that all your electric motors went out at the same time.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
Are your slides not hydraulic? In my Alpine I have 3 slides, two are hydro and the bedroom slide is electric.

My hydraulic slides use the same motor and pump as the 6 point level-up system. If your slides are hydraulic and use the same motor and pump as your jacks, then it is not your brushes and/or armature. If they have a separate motor and pump, yes that could be it. Do you hear any sound at all when you press the slide switch? If your slides are all electric, yes it could be your brushes, but I would doubt that all your electric motors went out at the same time.
I have four slides, to which I believe are all hydraulic. They do use the same pump as the the Lippert 6 point level up.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #15
Road-King

I still think if you don't hear anything when pressing the slide switch, then I would suspect the switch. If you do hear the hydro motor when you press the switch, then I would suspect the hydro control valve(s) or the slide seals stuck to the sides.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #16
Road-King

I guess it could also be the control panel or wire loom. But let them (the service department) figure it out.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #17
Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
I still think if you don't hear anything when pressing the slide switch, then I would suspect the switch. If you do hear the hydro motor when you press the switch, then I would suspect the hydro control valve(s) or the slide seals stuck to the sides.
We do hear the slide motor when we push the "in" button, however when we push the "out" button we do not hear the motor or any clicking.

You're the second individual who mentions that the seals may be stuck to the sides of the fifth wheel.

I have a mobile tech looking at the issue on Thursday.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
Pursuit

Issue was a bad solenoid on the hydraulic pump....
Old 05-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #19
Road-King

Good to know. Thanks for reporting back...
2008 FLHRC 105th
Old 05-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #20
6x6

I just had to replace the whole pump on our 6 point system and our is a 2014 model we ordered. Only 1 of our 4 slides is mechanical. I got the gear up and could not unhook or run the slides out but the 1. What a time that was
13300 GVW
2014 Montana 3625RE
6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote