Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
BillnDeb

Appalachian Trail (AT)

Our dream when we retired young at 52, was to thru hike the AT. But we've grown older (plans change) and now are starting our next best dream about 10 years later, to become full time RVers.
We plan to stay on the east coast for a few years as we watch our new grand baby grow. So now we're wondering about combining these two dreams. We'd like to park the RV close enough to start section hiking, go hike 10-20 miles then move on.
Just wondering if there are any other serious hikers out there?
Debbie
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2003 Ultra Classic Harley sold May 2014
blog: https://dalees107.wordpress.com
BillnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Wantoride

Not real serious about hiking but a few campgrounds you might want to try that we have, and hiked the trail are caledonia state campground in PA. and Greenbriar in frederick\hagerstown Maryland. The AP trail in PA is tough. We managed to do a bit of the trail from the campground but it was real tough. I think PA has the hardest stretch of the trail. Greenbriar is near Annapolis rock on the trail, a great overlook and not to hard. And there is a koa in harpers ferry that is close to the trail. Now if you want to paddle the mid Atlantic I can give you some great put in's on the Potomac, Shenandoah down to the Maury river in VA. We generally bike and paddle.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
BillnDeb

Thanks! We'll check them out! We'd like to try kayaking sometime...
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2003 Ultra Classic Harley sold May 2014
blog: https://dalees107.wordpress.com
BillnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Wantoride

We are partial to harpers ferry. I started white water when I was young, dumb and fearless. Now we are 60, and for us, the Potomac at harpers ferry is just our speed. Beautiful scenery and nothing higher than class 3 rapids. We use open canoes because climbing in and out of the kayaks are tough! There are several outfitters in the area that will accompany you or they will rent the kayak drop off and pick up. Give it a try if your in the area. Another outfitters that we have used in the past is Shenandoah river outfitters in Lurray virginia, they used to be called Shenandoah river outfitters, not sure if the name has changed but it's a calm river with beautiful scenery as well. I assume your coming up from Florida?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

This from Wikipedia

Substantial portions closely parallel the Blue Ridge Parkway and, in Shenandoah National Park, the Skyline Drive. Parts of the trail near the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive are often considered the best for beginner hikers. ....

We have camped in the federal campgrounds in the park and some sites were literally on the trail. Though Skyline Drive can be a test of your TVs capabilities, the campgrounds are pretty good and beautiful scenery.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Outbackmel

Pack heat

We are NOT serious hikers, BUT, I would NEVER wander out there with my wife and not be armed. When it's you, the animals, 2 and 4 legged, do the Boy Scout thing: Be Prepared. Hiking today is not what it was 100 years ago. People then had guns and knew how to defend themselves. Today, rangers and others will tell you, ohhh, it's safe out there. Really?! Ever see a REAL COWBOY sleeping without one eye open or a guard duty shift and a trusty by his side? Heck NO!

Have fun out there, but, be mindful not everyone out there is there for the same purpose you are.....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote