Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
sbmarks3

Fuzion 403 underbelly work

Today I started working on the under belly of my 2009 Fuzion 403 toy hauler. I have a failing black water valve that needs attention. I decided the gas pipe was in the way of removing the coroplast so I removed it, removed the spare tire and it's frame. After unscrewing all of the coroplast from the front to the fuel tank in the rear where it stops, I let it lay on the ground front and rear, in the middle it stayed draped over the three axels. The coroplast is notched around the spring brackets so I could not pull it out with out cutting, which I really don't want to do. There is no visible insulation other than where they cut through the floor for penetrations (wire and water). After seeing the mess and unprotected piping I decided to run some heat trace wiring on the water lines and maybe a little house keeping. An interesting note on the tanks. I have not been able to get any clear information on how many tanks this unit has. Now I know ! It has two grey tanks ( one in the front and one in the middle) It has two fw tanks, (both under the garage) and one black water tank in the front (identical twin to the grey tank beside it). Of course the fuel tank in the very back. No wonder this thing is so heavy I estimate that with the fresh water tanks and fuel tank if full adds about 1400lbs to the trailer. I may put heaters on the black tank while I have it exposed. Has anyone ever tried using heat trace wire to heat tanks rather than using pads? I will try to post some pics as I go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-28 12.36.09.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	4694  

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You might be interested in this thread currently running on the forum in the Mods & Upgrades section: "Keystone TT 260-RBS Insulation Project" submitted by FullTimer.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
FullTimer

Good work SB lol. I'm stunned by the weight lol. I had thought of using a heat strip and foil tape it under the tanks, but I didn't want to buy more tapes lol. Plus I wanted the 12 volt pads for dry camping. I did discover one thing about the strips. When I wrapped the 3 inch valve and the grey water pipes, I didn't wrap it tightly enough. The tape got pretty dang hot, I mean hotttt, much hotter than I have ever felt them, when their taped firmly to a hose. So I rewrapped it tightly, and it was fine. So I would assume all the tape has to stay in contact for sure.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
sbmarks3

I wondered about that, I am worried about wrapping a grey tank valve with heat tape as the grey tanks are empty most of the time. I'm afraid it will get too hot on a dry valve. I will wrap the black water valve for sure, it always has some liquid in it unless I'm doing a valve change out like now.

B&W Roll Over Hitch
Old 12-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
sbmarks3

More pics

More pics of shoddy factory work. Large areas left uninsulated with oversized holes for wires and piping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-28 12.36.44.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	4697   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-28 12.36.18.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	4698   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-28 10.25.04.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	4699  

B&W Roll Over Hitch
Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
FullTimer

Man, I would sure be tempted to grab me a roll of insulation, and use little 1/4 inch long staples and staple it to the floor, then reattach the coroplast, when I was done working on it. Just let it run under the tanks for added insulation.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
sbmarks3

Yes I just bought a roll of insulation today. I have a few other things to take care of as well. One of which is to modify the spare tire frame work, it does not quite reach from one frame rail to the other, it is a wonder that I did not loose it on my last trip. So I have some welding to do on it.

B&W Roll Over Hitch
Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
FullTimer

I think you'll be pleased with the difference extra under insulation makes. Huge difference in how cold the floor is already. Not to mention, how much quieter it is, very little outside noise.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
sbmarks3

some lessons learned today

Some notes on lessons learned in the underbelly:
1. 3M spray adhesive does not bond well enough to hold up heat tape.
2. 3M spray adheres to glasses and hair very well.
3. Great Stuff spray foam does not apply very well in the overhead position.
4. Great Stuff spillage always lands on you.
5. An empty and clean black water tank with the valve removed is neither empty nor clean when you push up on the bottom of the tank.
6. Never position your body under the removed valve area of a black water tank.

B&W Roll Over Hitch
Old 12-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
geo

Oh, this brings up nightmares of two years ago! Tank heaters. Rolls and batts of insulation. Fans and ducts to keep the Pex warm. Check my posts and pictures in this section two years ago.

Ron.
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
ctpd814

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmarks3 View Post
5. An empty and clean black water tank with the valve removed is neither empty nor clean when you push up on the bottom of the tank.
This is going in the VERY IMPORTANT Things to Remember File, for future use.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
byrdr1

Quote:
Thats funny right there I dont care who you are!
best of luck finishing up your project.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
sbmarks3

Geo, I have been checking out yours and other posts. There are a lot of posts with great information. I love this forum, so much great information and a lot of smart people at the ready to help out. I get side tracked a lot though.

B&W Roll Over Hitch
Old 12-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
FullTimer

Quote:
Oh man, I have had experiences with 3M spray adhesive. Doesn't matter how hard you try to control it. I assisted a guy changing a valve on a full tank once, it was frozen and he snapped it trying to get it open, He was so embarrassed, even when I warned him what was coming. He braced himself and started to remove screws. Lol, consider it dues paid. I had sewage all over me in 0 degree weather, it does freeze. I walked in the front door and stripped. I told her, don't wash these clothes with anything else. I put them in a garbage bag to control stench. Oh and grabbed the bleach and headed to the shower.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
Mike L123

Quote:
Although it is implied above I just want to emphasize that Great Stuff, when applied from an overhead/lying on the ground sorta position, will often drip onto your head and hair and the only way this is coming off is via momma's clippers and scissors. This is the voice of experience speaking to you!

Happy New Year everyone!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
ThePressureIsOn

Thank you for my laugh of the day! Most of us have been in your shoes at one time or another.
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 AM   #17
WaltBennett

Love the lessons learned! Got to comment though; if anyone is concerned about what things look like behind walls or in hidden places, don't ever do any serious remodeling in your home. You'll find things just as bad there no matter how 'well' it was built. That includes sloppy wiring, missing insulation, poorly fastened studs & things, etc. I'm not saying this to excuse Keystone or any other RV manufacturer, but they're in business to make a profit. That means following schedules, taking shortcuts, lower cost labor & materials, etc., etc.

I started my underbelly journey after driving through a heavy rainstorm and finding water pouring out from the front part (under the basement) after stopping. Turned out the chloroplast hadn't been installed with heavy enough aluminum strips to hold it to the frame. Dropped the front part and had all sorts of shavings, wood chips, a couple screws and whatever all fall out (missed my face by a foot or so). I used sheet foam insulation cut to fit instead of foam though, but didn't need an awful lot as there wasn't much room anyway. Not a lot of wiring and no plumbing, but I'm planning on working back this spring and I know I'll find lots of things to fix then.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #18
sbmarks3

Walt, you are right about what you don't see behind the walls being pretty messy sometimes. Over all, the wires were not terribly tangled, I was surprised to see so much pex plumbing in the lower basement away from heat.
Mike, You hit the nail on the head about the great stuff, I kept it out of my hair this time but it was all over my hands. The can says to use acetone for uncured spills and to basically live with it for any that cures on your skin. I tried my home remedy for removing dried paint from skin. Vaseline, coat your hands with it liberally and work at it with your fingernails until it breaks loose. Then soap and water.

When replacing the black water valve I found a large paper towel lodged in the valve's grove, that explains the constant dripping. We also were have some trouble trying to get a good dump on that tank, even after adding lots of water, it would take several tries to get it done. I replaced the Bristol valve only, not the cable. On the work bench I removed and the old cable and re-installed on the new valve, lubed up the cable with silicone and thought I was ready to install in TT when I noticed the valve did not have enough travel to fully open. Between the paper towel and the valve not fully opening I think that was my problem, also the valve was difficult to operated due to age. The fix for this is to relocate the small plastic block that the cable passes through and anchors to. It is has a single screw that connect it to the valve housing. Just remove the screw, open the valve fully then replace the screw, it will self tap into the new location. In my case it was approximately 5/16" over.
So lessons learned #7: Cable pull valves should be adjusted to insure they have the travel to fully open.
Happy New Year

B&W Roll Over Hitch
Old 01-03-2014, 02:01 AM   #19
rjsurfer

Would sheet foam have enough rigidity to support itself across the frame of my Cougar?

Obviously the Coroplast can, but certainly droops a bit.

I was thinking of using sections of sheet foam instead of the Coroplast, this way if I need to do work under the camper I would just drop the section needed to gain access. I guess I could use some external cross members if needed.

Thanks

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #20
sbmarks3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Would sheet foam have enough rigidity to support itself across the frame of my Cougar?

Obviously the Coroplast can, but certainly droops a bit.

I was thinking of using sections of sheet foam instead of the Coroplast, this way if I need to do work under the camper I would just drop the section needed to gain access. I guess I could use some external cross members if needed.

Thanks

Ron W.
I think I would be a little leery of relying on the foam to support itself from frame rail to frame rail with out the coroplast, as I don't think it is designed for structural. If you used thick enough foam it might work but the problem there is if your Cougar is built like my Fuzion, in the tank areas there is not enough clearance for more than about 1/2" to 3/4". My coroplast sags as well but there was only center support screws installed for the coroplast in two locations, I am planning on using 1/4" double hard sided foam board from frame web to frame web, this will support the ends as for the bellying it will lay on the coroplast but I will screw the belly up into the cross member supports. The cross members are fairly narrow and a challenge to locate with coroplast covering them but I feel with some careful lay out and maybe probing with an ice pick, sharp wire or an awl they can be found. The extra foam board material I will cut to fit vertically in the frame web. I am working on this project now, weather permitting. I think there were some other members that have installed external angle iron supports to mitigate coroplast sag. Good luck

B&W Roll Over Hitch