Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
arty

cougar problems

just recently purchased cougar 28rdb and having alot of issues, three water leaks, mold and mildew, and a numerous other problems not as major, expressed my dissatisfaction to the dealer and all they wanted to do was for me to trade it in. i am not getting myself in a hole by doing that. does anyone know if this would be considered a lemon and what can i do
arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Bluewater

Could you post the model year and date purchased? thanks
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
arty

2012 keystone cougar 28RDB fifthwheel
purchased in June
Old 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
laidback

You didn't say what type of leaks. It would be nice to know all the problems. If the dealer won't look at it, have you tried contacting Keystone?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Arty,

If it's a 2012 model and you purchased it in 2013, I'm guessing it was a used model? If that is true, did the dealership offer any type of warranty with it? On the other hand, if it is a new "left over" model, it should have a 12 month warranty from Keystone. The "wrinkle" with leaks is that Keystone's warranty states that it is the owner's responsibility to inspect and repair any damaged sealant on the roof and sidewalls. So, if you can provide documentation that you did the inspections and resealed anything that was damaged/leaking, the dealership should support your claims against any damage from water. If you can't provide that proof, it may be an "uphill battle"

The "good thing" for Keystone to do is to repair your RV if it's in warranty, but if it's not, then that will probably fall to either the dealership or to you. Used vehicles are not supported by Keystone unless the warranty was transferred during the sale to the new owner. Plus any DICOR warranty on the EPDM roofing material is voided. The EPDM 12 year roof material warranty is only offered to the original owner.

Here's hoping you bought your RV new and have the full warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
arty

i am sorry the camper is 2013, the first leak was caused from the fridge leaking into the pantry. my wife noticed a mold smell from the pantry ( from day one) and the items on the bottom of the floor was wet. brought it in and they said the fridge was tilted causing that leak. still has mold smell they did not check the wood for damage, i am making them do that this time. second leak was from the main slide, needed to be adjusted, again never checked wood for damage. third leak is from shower drain leaking into compartment (compartment was soaked) in the shop now for that.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arty View Post
i am sorry the camper is 2013, the first leak was caused from the fridge leaking into the pantry. my wife noticed a mold smell from the pantry ( from day one) and the items on the bottom of the floor was wet. brought it in and they said the fridge was tilted causing that leak. .
I'm rather skeptical about the service department's claim that your fridge "was tilted" thus causing a leak. My guess is that the drain hose either came loose, it was not properly positioned and was draining onto the interior floor instead of to the outside, or there was a crack in the plastic hose.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
laidback

Glad to hear they are taking care of You. It should all be covered under warrenty.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I'm rather skeptical about the service department's claim that your fridge "was tilted" thus causing a leak. My guess is that the drain hose either came loose, it was not properly positioned and was draining onto the interior floor instead of to the outside, or there was a crack in the plastic hose.
My 2013 280RLS will be going in for warranty work for this very same water issue in the pantry next to the fridge. I know my hose is positioned to drain outside, and I have seen water draining, but never thought about a cracked hose allowing water inside as well. Will be interested to see if someone says mine was tilted!!!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Roger -
When you find out from the service department what is causing the leak, please let us know.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Roger -
When you find out from the service department what is causing the leak, please let us know.
Will do. It probably won't be till spring now as the snows have come and it's sitting buried in about a foot of snow right now!!! Forecast for today... more snow!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Our 2011 Springdale refrigerator drain hose was positioned properly and never leaked, but when I took the outside lower vent cover off last year to clean it up from winter storage, the white vent hose crumbled in my hands. The trailer was about 3 years old and the hose was brittle and I had to replace it. The middle part was fine, but the part up inside that runs through the coils was brittle and the part that ran through the vent cover was brittle.

I'd say that if anyone hasn't at least checked the hose recently, like the caulking around the windows and the sealant on the roof, checking to make sure the hose is in good condition might be added to the spring checklist. Oh and don't forget, there's a small "stopper" in the end of the hose that has three drain holes in it. Don't forget to put it in your replacement hose to keep ants/other bugs out of your drain line.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote