Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #21
Yosemitebob

I hope that you all realize that time in the dealership (with proof) is time added to the warranty, this doesn't hold true to all states so you must check your state laws. I should say that it has to be un-operable. Just sitting waiting for parts if you can still use it, would not pas the muster.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Quad

Both times mine has been to the dealer for warranty repairs it has sat for 6 and 7 weeks. The hold up was with keystone too for parts.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH
Old 12-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #23
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
I purposely didn't take our 5th wheel in for repairs until after we were done camping last summer. From what I've read I knew I wouldn't get it back for months. So before I took it in I winterized it. They have had it for over a month now but I don't care as long as I get it back by May. Only issue I can see is if they call me to pick it up when there is snow on the ground. My dirt road I live on is so narrow that I can only pull it in straight (not back it in). Therefore I have to pull it in straight then back it over the lawn to turn it around.
This is the same issue I have. I store it on the back of my property, there is no road or paved path.
fortunately, I did get it back (after some pressure) on Friday. Got it put away yesterday, snow expected today.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #24
sandee

What do full-timers do when their "home" is in the shop for weeks or months?
sandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #25
laidback

After staying in a motel for 8 weeks, I can tell You. I think You can figure it out now.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #26
outwest

finally got ours back. Was in from Oct 11 until Dec 20. Got billed for around $250 in labor charges ($70 was for winterizing, which was only because they had it so friggin long) and service guy said he was surprised they covered what they did what with it being out of warranty. WHAT?!?! It was IN warranty when we dropped it off! I paid the $ but didn't keep my mouth shut.

Some of the work wasn't happy with, but it is what it is. At least we got the major stuff done (e.g. new bumper)

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #27
airforceret

Well I had hoped to get mine to the dealer for warranty before winter set in, but it's been cold and snowing here for weeks and every time I think I'm going to get a break in weather... it snows! LOL
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #28
fred1609

I would have paid the $70 and nothing more. You dropped it off for warranty work and that's at no cost. I would phone keystone and start rattling chains....I think that dealer pulled a fast one.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #29
BillnDeb

Warranty repairs

So glad we discovered this thread! We don't feel so badly now!
We bought our Cougar Xlite 28SGS on Sept 4, 2013 and we were given a 2 day comp stay at a nearby campground. Everything seemed to work great and we learned a lot. We only had one technical glitch, so off we went to spend about 60 days in it and traveled nearly 2,000 miles. So of course, we then found the little things that should be warrantied.
I made a list and called the dealership. He said great, email it to him and he'll order the parts and we can bring it in the next Monday...so we were in hog heaven thinking we did the right and smart thing...we planned to take off in it for Christmas the next week, on Thursday. Long story short, even though the manager confirmed he got my email, he said it wasn't clear enough so he didn't order any parts (couldn't he have emailed me back and asked for clarification and pictures???) nor we were on the books for that appointment! So we left it there for the week and hoped to get it the following Monday or Tuesday to take it on another road trip (we love it so much are really thinking about going full time in it!)...again, long story short, they only fixed a very few things and said everything else is on order!
So we are counting our blessings! We'll take it back when ALL the parts are in and will just "camp out" there as it is an hour drive from our home...
So we're
BillnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

BillnDeb,

You're right, the dealer should have contacted you to get explanations on things that weren't clear in your email. Especially since he told you that they would "go ahead and order the parts" so they would be available when you came in for repairs. But, if you emailed him one week and he said "bring it in next Monday." There's not much chance of having the parts available. Keystone (and most dealers) simply don't work on a "right now" basis. Usually it takes a couple of weeks or longer to get "routine ordered parts" to the dealership. Even "expedited" parts often take a week or longer depending on the factory's shipping and receiving department and how rapidly they can get the parts packed for shipment. Some things, like a strip of molding, a sheet of paneling, etc aren't shipped, they are put in the next RV to be delivered to that dealership as they won't ship easily and aren't really an "emergency" part. So, your dealer was pretty optimistic in saying that they would be ready for you next Monday....

outwest,

It's unfortunate that you had to pay even for the winterizing since it wasn't your fault they didn't get to your RV on a timely basis. You didn't explain what the added charges were for, so it's likely some of them weren't covered under warranty. Keystone's one year warranty is not "all inclusive". If you read the warranty section of the owner's manual, you'll see that slide adjustment, alignment, etc are covered for the first 90 days, resealing the roof is not covered, the manual says it's an "owner responsibility", but most dealerships will reseal during the first couple of months and some a bit longer. Without knowing what the dealership did to your RV, it's not possible to know if you were charged for warranty items or for "owner required maintenance" items. I think a lot of times, owners don't ask if there are items on the list that aren't covered by warranty, and the dealership doesn't explain things because they think the owner is aware, so when it comes time to pick up the RV, there's a dispute. Communication is really important and it's more often than not the weakest link.

Fred1609,

Not all maintenance or repair is covered by the warranty. There are a significant number of repair items that are "owner responsibility" and if the dealership works on those items, Keystone won't pay. The warranty is pretty specific about things not covered for the entire year. Some are only covered for 90 days and some, the way the warranty is written aren't covered at all. The DICOR sealant on the roof is one of those "not covered" items. Read the warranty very carefully to prevent being surprised when you go to the dealership with a long list of "to do" items. Many of them will be on your dime, not covered by Keystone's warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
BillnDeb

Thanks! We'll be prepared now!
One thing I didn't mention was that he called us Thursday after the Monday drop off to say Keystone approved the warranty work!
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2003 Ultra Classic Harley sold May 2014
blog: https://dalees107.wordpress.com
Old 12-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

It's great your dealer called to let you know that Keystone "approved the warranty work" Now, the real question is: "What is THE warranty work" and "What isn't THE warranty work" that was on THE list ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #33
BillnDeb

We appreciate you pointing this out to us! We'll make sure we have plenty time to go over everything!
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2003 Ultra Classic Harley sold May 2014
blog: https://dalees107.wordpress.com
Old 12-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #34
msp2jxr

I bought one of my trailers through Noble RV in Owatonna and the repairs were done on time as promised but they didn't need to order anything...
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #35
LZScout

Well, I'm off to Noble RV tomorrow to finally pick up the Alpine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #36
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
outwest,

It's unfortunate that you had to pay even for the winterizing since it wasn't your fault they didn't get to your RV on a timely basis. You didn't explain what the added charges were for, so it's likely some of them weren't covered under warranty. Keystone's one year warranty is not "all inclusive". If you read the warranty section of the owner's manual, you'll see that slide adjustment, alignment, etc are covered for the first 90 days, resealing the roof is not covered, the manual says it's an "owner responsibility", but most dealerships will reseal during the first couple of months and some a bit longer. Without knowing what the dealership did to your RV, it's not possible to know if you were charged for warranty items or for "owner required maintenance" items. I think a lot of times, owners don't ask if there are items on the list that aren't covered by warranty, and the dealership doesn't explain things because they think the owner is aware, so when it comes time to pick up the RV, there's a dispute. Communication is really important and it's more often than not the weakest link.
The mildly annoying thing about them having the rig for so long was because it needed a new rear bumper (original came off on one side while going down the highway, causing irrepairable damage to it when it was flopping in the wind) and they had plenty of notice to get one in. Since was on a trip when it happened, it was over 2 months before could get rig to them. I phoned them up and told them it would need a new rear bumper, explaining the entire situation and offering to send pics so they could start the processing of the claim. However, they didn't start processing the warranty claim until we dropped it off. I can, though, understand they whys. After all, I might have decided to take it somewhere else, might have had a wreck on the highway in the interim which totaled the rig, etc.

I didn't get a real clear answer as to what the rest of the charges were for, only that it was for things keystone didn't cover. Your post explains the rest of the charges though, it was probably the slide. Thanks. I noticed that one of the cables had a huge amount of slack, so much so that the chain is barely staying on the gear (and was that way from the factory, just took me a bit to notice because of the fascia hiding it). So, I asked them to check it out. There were also two drawer latches that the screws had come out of the pressed wood (the two drawers under sofa) and they charged for that (and told me so when picked up rig), which didn't surprise me because it could easily be considered 'wear and tear'.

On the plus side, they fixed a couple of things that were simply shoddy workmanship - wallpaper had lots of large crinkles and bubbles, so they re-papered those areas, the canned goods drawer came open in transit because the latch wasn't installed properly, causing damage to the stainless fridge panel, and they replaced the fridge panel.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you got caught up in the "lack of communication from the dealer" aspect. It would cause much less frustration and anger if the dealership service writer would simply say, "A part of this list is not covered by warranty and Keystone will not pay for those items." Then, you and the service writer could go over that part of the list. But, I suppose that would take time to accomplish and if there are other customers waiting, or if he doesn't want to get into an argument about, "Why won't Keystone pay" kind of comments........ Really, there's no "best way" to handle that kind of situation, but delaying it until you pick up the RV is probably one of the worst ways......

It's really unfortunate that people don't read the entire warranty and understand it BEFORE they drop off their RV for service. It would prevent a lot of unhappy customers who get surprised by a sometimes hefty bill on pickup. Folks think the warranty is "all inclusive" for one year. While maybe it should cover more than it does, that's not worth debating because Keystone doesn't appear motivated to change the warranty based on our concerns.

I remember "waaaaayyyy" back when Airstream had a "lifetime warranty"...... But the only thing that was "lifetime" about it was the paper it was printed on. The way it read, the aluminum superstructure, excluding rivets and sealant was under warranty for "life" to the original owner. The rest of the trailer was for 2 years except the countertops which were 3. But if anything happened, after the first 12 months labor was not included, only the materials to repair. So, if you took your "lifetime warranty" Airstream in for a leak next to the roof vent, expect to pay for everything since the aluminum skin wasn't faulty. We got unhappily surprised that way the first time because the salesman promised us, "Oh, it's guaranteed for life"..... Yeah, right..... After reading the warranty, I went back to talk to him about his promises, only to find he'd moved on to another dealership somewhere else.....

I'd urge everyone to dig out that "generic and essentially worthless" owners manual and read the warranty carefully. There are a few dealerships who will charge you saying "it isn't covered" (when it is) and there are many things that aren't covered that we'd assume would be.... Most are things we just add to the list "since it's going to be at the dealership" only to find out that we should have fixed it ourselves since it was only tightening a knob or putting some glue on a loose molding. Dealerships make their living doing those things, often for customers who thought Keystone was going to pay for it.

Oh, and if you've managed to read this far, you'll find the Dometic refrigerator warranty is for 3 years..... NOT REALLY !!!! unless you have the refrigerator inspected and serviced annually by a "certified Dometic technician.... The charge for that inspection is about $100. If the warranty booklet isn't stamped with his inspection and if you don't have the repair bill to prove he did it, Dometic only warrants the refrigerator for the first 12 months. There's a catch to far too many of these "extended past Keystone's warranty" perks.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #38
tdawg

i must be a lucky one. Just picked up our Alpine Yesterday with no charge to us. They replaced a day/night shade that the string had broken, fixed noisey fireplace, new compartment door seal,and did some touch up on some caulking and replaced a bedroom slide outer seat that had a cut in it, all done with no charge to me.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #39
LZScout

You could be lucky or you might just have a good, reputable dealer like I do. All of my claims, once the parts arrived, were handled to my satisfaction. I have my RV again!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #40
vallboss2

I agree totally!