Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
rdrunr

Any problems with Exide batteries?

We purchased our new 2014 Raptor 332TS on Aug 31 of this yr. The 1st time that we went to use the RV dry camping at our local state park, the Exide coach battery was no good and was not holding a charge. I slapped a different deep cycle battery into the RV and all the low voltage problems went away. I had the battery tested at NAPA yesterday and it was found to be defected and no good. I called the dealership, Colton RV and told them about it but they're 6 hours away from me and said they can't ship me a battery because of the acid in them so I was told to call Exide and try to get a replacement. I'm not sure how this is going to work. Again, it feels like I'm getting the ole brush off, run around, screwing...what ever you want to call it, it's quite common these days!
rdrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
poncho62

You just need to find a dealer who sells Excide batteries, they should be able to fix you up...Walmart here sells Excide.
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It's really not necessary to return to the selling dealership for an Exide battery. Any Exide dealer can authorize an exchange. I had two Exide 12V batteries in my Springdale and they were still going strong when I sold it after almost 4 years of use.

If you live near Plattsburg, G&G Auto Supply is an Exide dealer and should be able to help you.

Keep in mind that unless the purchaser stipulates otherwise, an RV dealer will usually install the least expensive battery in a new RV. This may be an excellent time for you to upgrade to a larger battery while getting credit for your current battery.

I wouldn't think you're getting the "the ole brush off, run around, screwing...what ever you want to call it." It's quite common these days for some people to take advantage of the dealership by saying they need a new battery when in actuality they don't. It's prudent for any dealership to verify the failure before shipping a replacement. Unfortunately, it's more difficult to take customers at face value than it was in "years gone by," so I wouldn't be too critical of the dealership for requiring you to bring in the battery for them to exchange it. In this situation, any Exide dealer can help you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
rdrunr

Plattsburgh Motor Service saved the day!

I brought the defective battery in and walked out with a brand new one, on the spot...I sure hope this one is okay!
rdrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
airforceret

I would expect the shipping issue to be more about getting your battery in exchange. Once a battery is put into use, it becomes almost impossible to legally ship them until they have been serviced and rendered safe for shipping.

For example, here is the info from fedex:

Yes, you can ship batteries via FedEx, including both "wet" batteries (such as an automobile battery) and lithium batteries (the type commonly used in laptop computers and other electronic devices). Batteries must be correctly identified, classified, packaged, marked and labeled. Additionally, the package must have a Shipper's Declaration for Dangerous Goods, completed and signed by a trained shipper.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Drew Waller

Exide Batts

I had the same problem with my brand new 2013 332 TS. I took it home and the batts were low so I charged them up! They wouldn't charge! I took them back to the dealer and they replaced them, no questions!

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Yosemitebob

I'm another one that had the same problem. My two batteries had low voyage when I got home, and dealer just said check for an distributor. I did took them in and both had dead cells. On the spot they gave me two new 6v batteries and they work like charm now. Must have been a bad lot of batteries.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote