Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
PSITracy

2004 Montana 2980RL

Any comments, thoughts, opinions ???? Seems like a beautiful unit
PSITracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Outbackmel

Talking 2004 Montana

What looks good may not always be the mechanical case. Things like tires. Wheel bearings, A/c unit(s), furnace, sewer system, seals, to name a few can be costly if needed repair or replacement. Start with a search on forum for PDI checklist and begin there with your inspection. If all meets your satisfaction, you have a good start.
Story with good experience. Many years ago I found a like new 21 ft boat in Jan in upstate NY covered in snow. Properly covered but I was wary. This boat was a bargain at $10,000. That was over 20 years ago. I had cash and assured the owner that at my expense to have the boat de winterized and fully checked out. It was $500 piece of mind. All checked out and we enjoyed several problem free seasons with this beautiful boat. A great indication of soundness was dealers offer to take the boat right then and there for $11,000 cash.
When in doubt, check it out.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
PSITracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
What looks good may not always be the mechanical case. Things like tires. Wheel bearings, A/c unit(s), furnace, sewer system, seals, to name a few can be costly if needed repair or replacement. Start with a search on forum for PDI checklist and begin there with your inspection. If all meets your satisfaction, you have a good start.
Story with good experience. Many years ago I found a like new 21 ft boat in Jan in upstate NY covered in snow. Properly covered but I was wary. This boat was a bargain at $10,000. That was over 20 years ago. I had cash and assured the owner that at my expense to have the boat de winterized and fully checked out. It was $500 piece of mind. All checked out and we enjoyed several problem free seasons with this beautiful boat. A great indication of soundness was dealers offer to take the boat right then and there for $11,000 cash.
When in doubt, check it out.
Definitely, I am buying this unit from a reputable RV Dealer here in Albuquerque. They are telling me they will check all systems before delivery, as well as offering a warranty on the same systems. So I hope Im on the right trail here
Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

x2 on the Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist. I'd suggest printing it off and taking it with you. Add any other items that you can think of that don't appear on the checklist. What the dealer is telling you that they will do may not include all the items that you want to check to ensure everything is functioning as it should be.

Take plenty of time to give it a thorough inspection - from top to bottom. You'll be investing a lot of money so make sure you are completely satisfied with everything before driving off.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
PSITracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
x2 on the Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist. I'd suggest printing it off and taking it with you. Add any other items that you can think of that don't appear on the checklist. What the dealer is telling you that they will do may not include all the items that you want to check to ensure everything is functioning as it should be.

Take plenty of time to give it a thorough inspection - from top to bottom. You'll be investing a lot of money so make sure you are completely satisfied with everything before driving off.
I see the Maiden Voyage Checklist but not the Pre Delivery Checklist
Old 09-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

It's the first sticky in the Keystone Questions section of the forum.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
PSITracy

I found the sticky but not the Pre Delivery Checklist, just a Maiden Voyage Checklist, I must be blind
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSITracy View Post
Definitely, I am buying this unit from a reputable RV Dealer here in Albuquerque. They are telling me they will check all systems before delivery, as well as offering a warranty on the same systems. So I hope Im on the right trail here
Many "reputable RV dealers will check all systems.

Tires: Yup, there's 4 and a spare
Water: Nope, nothing leaking out the bottom
Electrical: The lights work and there's a battery in it
Chassis: The sidewalls look straight
Roof: No water stains noted inside
Appliances: The stove burners work and the microwave fan runs when you press COOK. Refrigerator? Oh yes, the AUTO light was on.
Plumbing: The toilet flushes and the shower drains.

Some dealerships consider the above as a "complete checkout of all systems" Others will really do the job. You may want to check with the service department to see if their "checkout" includes things like brake adjustment, wheel bearing check, propane system leak check, and a "full functional check" of RV systems.

A difference in "interpretation" between what you "think" they said and "what they really meant" can save you much frustration after you sign on the bottom line.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Kristi

Here's a link,

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
Thanks Kristi for the link.

I just double-checked the Keystone Questions section and the PDI sticky is there - right at the very top.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Thanks Kristi for the link.

I just double-checked the Keystone Questions section and the PDI sticky is there - right at the very top.
That's where I found the link also

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote